Bogner Ecstacy 100B vs 101B ??

Georgy

Hi Guys and Girls,

This is my first ever post on rig-talk, so please be gentle :D

So, after scouring through rig-talk and other forums, I'm yet to find anything on the specific differences between the Bogner Ecstacy 100B and 101B (or even 101A). BUT, my real curiosity is to know what the main differences are between the 100 vs 101 sound-wise.

Can anyone elaborate in Layman's terms what they have found to be the differences in sound? :doh:

Welcome. The 100B (Brittish) runs EL34s'. the 100A (American) runs 6L6s'.
The only 6L6 XTC I have played was a 20th aniversary. I own a 100B and have played a 101B. In a nutshell the 100b is more classic, open, Marshallesque and is also more agressive that the more compressed 101b.

Yeah, the Classic model was an attempt to return to the open nature of the 100b; the 20th is an attempt to get the best of all the prior models.

Ok.. So, what's the 'better' model so to speak? I know that that is subjective in the eye of the beholder, but at the end of the day, which one is better than the other, out of the 100B and 101B? Whether it's sound, or features, or whatever..??

Better? That would depend on YOU as the player and what you like and need from an amplifier.

We're talking about $4000 boutique amps here. . .they're all damn fine amps.

I think the 6L6 20th gets much closer to the goal RB had when he designed the amp. I think that the latest generation Sozos - which are supposedly even better and clearer - will get the 20th even closer to the goal of the perfect Ecstasy.

I was blown away with the cleans in mine. It was the RED channel that bugged me as congested and smeared.

Well, I own 100b and a friend down the street used to own post 2004 101b. He bought his few years before I got mine and he lend it to me few times for doing live shows, so I kinda know how it feels/sounds in a live situations. Both of them, that is.

I can tell you that all people, including myself, agreed that 100b sounds a bit better in a band mix. From my point of view, it feels kinda dryer, less gainy when playing live than 101b, but at the same time more powerful, punchier and out there, if you know what I mean. So it's a keeper. ;)

The 101b has more features such as dual presence controls and the plexi mode be assigned to either red or blue but to me the 100b sounds much better and it does have the variac which add some nice squish.. The 100b is more open, sounds more natural and less nasally, has better cleans and a more balanced punchy tone. The 20th anniversary sounds less sweet than both and tries too hard to be open, gritty and Marshallesque in my opinion... It sounds kinda boomy and harsh compared to both the 101b and the 100b If you want a real Marshally sounding Bogner get the Helios. The Helios and the 100b are my two favorite Bogners ever and I have literally had them nearly all of them other than a few of the international models.

Jdub":2ir09vhp said:
The 101b has more features such as dual presence controls and the plexi mode be assigned to either red or blue but to me the 100b sounds much better and it does have the variac which add some nice squish.. The 100b is more open, sounds more natural and less nasally, has better cleans and a more balanced punchy tone. The 20th anniversary sounds less sweet than both and tries too hard to be open, gritty and Marshallesque in my opinion... It sounds kinda boomy and harsh compared to both the 102b and the 100b If you want a real Marshally sounding Bogner get the Helios. The Helios and the 100b are mt two favorite Bogners ever and I have literally had them nearly all of them other than a few of the international models.
Agreed, well put.

Jdub":3mcxajmi said:
The Helios and the 100b are mt two favorite Bogners ever and I have literally had them nearly all of them other than a few of the international models.
What do you think of the atma or mephisto?

Jdub":1d0ymb25 said:
The 101b has more features such as dual presence controls and the plexi mode be assigned to either red or blue but to me the 100b sounds much better and it does have the variac which add some nice squish.. The 100b is more open, sounds more natural and less nasally, has better cleans and a more balanced punchy tone. The 20th anniversary sounds less sweet than both and tries too hard to be open, gritty and Marshallesque in my opinion... It sounds kinda boomy and harsh compared to both the 102b and the 100b If you want a real Marshally sounding Bogner get the Helios. The Helios and the 100b are mt two favorite Bogners ever and I have literally had them nearly all of them other than a few of the international models.

I think that is the downside of the previous generation "vintage" caps. Would love to hear a build with the new ones and 6CA7s.

braintheory":33cyoily said:
Jdub":33cyoily said:
The Helios and the 100b are mt two favorite Bogners ever and I have literally had them nearly all of them other than a few of the international models.
What do you think of the atma or mephisto?

I think the Atma is a great little amp. It sounds really believable for an 18 watter. I am not too keen on el 84's though. The Atma covers tons of ground pretty darn well and sounds great at low volumes. It drives a 412 well too. Its great for what it is and good overall regardless of its size. The Mephisto is one I have not had so I cant comment.

Jdub":1zxbz9hr said:
The 101b has more features such as dual presence controls and the plexi mode be assigned to either red or blue but to me the 100b sounds much better and it does have the variac which add some nice squish.. The 100b is more open, sounds more natural and less nasally, has better cleans and a more balanced punchy tone. The 20th anniversary sounds less sweet than both and tries too hard to be open, gritty and Marshallesque in my opinion... It sounds kinda boomy and harsh compared to both the 101b and the 100b If you want a real Marshally sounding Bogner get the Helios. The Helios and the 100b are my two favorite Bogners ever and I have literally had them nearly all of them other than a few of the international models.

I do not agree with your opinions of the 20th.

Back