Shiva 20th Anniversary question

king tone

Hi, I have been lurking forever but not posting but thought this was a question for this forum...I have seen some Shiva 20th Anniversary Heads with a plexi style headshell. Is there more than one type of Shiva 20th or is that a just a different headshell and the circuit is the same? Seen some white ones as well. I think I kind of like the standard look(I guess called comet) with the matching cab in the cool looking sort of dark paisley looking tolex. Just curious because I am leaning very strongly towards picking up a Shiva 20th and want to make sure if there were any different revisions.

The only difference Im aware of is the choice between KT88s or EL34s for the power tubes. Everything else you mentioned are just cosmetic choices. Hope that helps.

I've owned 2, an EL34 and a KT88. The KT88 sounded better throughout the volume range and was more consistent. The EL34 sounded fantastic when cranked, dry at bedroom practice volumes. There was talk of two different circuit boards (a "Japan revision") but I don't know if this was common to all since the regular Shiva had a "Japan revision mod" that supposedly added gain and took some bass out of the preamp.

It is a very, very good amp that responds well to good glass in the preamp. Very versatile with a great built-in reverb.

Had 2 Sheevs, one standard, one 20th

Kept the 20th.

KT88s, actually mismatched came stock with the head. I opted for no reverb. It's a stellar amp. KT88s are still in their - mismatched.

I am pretty well versed with most Bogner amps and have never heard of there being different "circuit board" versions, especially one labelled a "Japanese" version. But I may be wrong.

Can the 20th Shivas still get those great Classic Rock tones that the standard Shivas do so well?
I've read about them doing high gain really well which would be great but are they just as good through the entire spectrum of gain??

gtrs":1a3xfbhx said:
Can the 20th Shivas still get those great Classic Rock tones that the standard Shivas do so well?
In spades.

The 20th series of amps by Bogner - IMHO - just takes all the greatness of the platform amp and adds more to it and wraps it in a special box. Couple extra features, options, etc - but takes an awesome amp and ramps up the awesomeness a good few degrees more. The 20th is balls-out fantastic in both the Shiva and XTC formats. Zero hesitation in buying one - hit it. You won't be displeased. They play everything.

I think I'm picking up a 20th shiva today, found a crazy deal local and its in mint condition.
Figure I need to give it a whirl. I'm in love with my uber, but sometimes want a little more juicy squishy high gain. Sounds like this will deliver

LunatiBSW":15th4j4q said:
I think I'm picking up a 20th shiva today, found a crazy deal local and its in mint condition.
Figure I need to give it a whirl. I'm in love with my uber, but sometimes want a little more juicy squishy high gain. Sounds like this will deliver
I'm not sure about juicy and squishy, but the Shiva is definitely more versatile for a range of playability and excels at tons of tones :thumbsup:

Keep us posted - literally.

Back