NAD: Uberschall Rev Blue w/ Ubercab

misterspockyall":1fwioa78 said:
Very cool, like what I heard in the video. I'm going to avoid modding for now as I've resigned to using pedals, but glad that worked out for you. I was gonna have Voodoo do some work to my 5153 50w head so Chs. 1&2 could adjust gain independently. They seem to do good work
nice, that was the reason i sold my evh 50 watt to get the stealth... loved that amp but the lack of independent controls killed me. I'm sure they will fix it up for you.

misterspockyall":2do9ke8w said:
Lunati- Thought long an hard about a TJ, but didn't really want the 150w for mainly playing at barely above bedroom volumes. My cab is front loaded.
This comment is stirring some issue with me.

First up, if you're not moving the amp past bedroom levels, you're not at all aware of what the amp's true nature is. No amp sounds like anything at bedroom volume - dare I say practically any hi-gain head will sound almost like the next one - at bedroom levels. Fucking with bottles and stomps and all this nonsense is pointless at low volume playing.

The TwinJet is a superior amp for tone, in my humble opinion. People can flame me for this and I don't give a shit. But - after little research - it does seem that a lot of people think the Rev.Blue just wasn't a great release from Bogner HQ, so my sentiments aren't alone. But again, even if they were, I'd not give a shit.

However, the TwinJet, or the Rev.Blue or the Rev.2 or anything else out there with 4 bottles in it will never offer you - the player - its true personality and tonal characteristics at pet-store volume levels. Like having a Lamborghini doing pylons in a parking lot with the driver saying he'd prefer a different steering wheel for performance enhancement - doesn't matter.

Stick with it - and if you're not planning on getting that amp and 412 out the door and into a space where you can flap your pants, bring it down a few notches to a 30W head or or less - where you can drive the power section, etc. Or get an attenuator before you buy a small arsenal of stomps and see how the characteristics of the amp change once the MV gets past noon :thumbsup:

^ agreed. Like driving a supercharged corvette in traffic on the highway. Just the same as other cars except it looks cooler

I should clarify, I do have opportunity to play it loud. I just also have a baby and my music room doesn't have a door, so I needed something that could do both :thumbsup: Coming from a 100w head 4x12 most of my life, was not getting what I wanted from less speakers. I liked the Bogner tone, and didn't see a 50w or less Uber.

I based my purchase off what I heard on the videos/soundcloud. It came down to 150 vs 120w for me, which are both overkill, and probably negligible. But in addition to that, I wanted beef in spades, and some folks complained the TJ was a bit sterile and less bassy. That and the fact that several folks seemed to like the Blue at bedroom volumes but I couldn't find the same sentiment for TJs. I'm not an expert, and haven't tried a TJ, but after a month of research made the decision I did. A TJ could be better, or a rev2/original of course.

I have the MV and nearly each channel eq at or around 1 o clock and control volume with the channel volume. For me it kills at whisper and wall shaking volumes. I'm quite happy with it. With the Maxon up front and some EQ in the back, I am thrilled with the sound.

misterspockyall":4fs63x8a said:
I should clarify, I do have opportunity to play it loud. I just also have a baby and my music room doesn't have a door, so I needed something that could do both :thumbsup: Coming from a 100w head 4x12 most of my life, was not getting what I wanted from less speakers. I liked the Bogner tone, and didn't see a 50w or less Uber.

I based my purchase off what I heard on the videos/soundcloud. It came down to 150 vs 120w for me, which are both overkill, and probably negligible. But in addition to that, I wanted beef in spades, and some folks complained the TJ was a bit sterile and less bassy. That and the fact that several folks seemed to like the Blue at bedroom volumes but I couldn't find the same sentiment for TJs. I'm not an expert, and haven't tried a TJ, but after a month of research made the decision I did. A TJ could be better, or a rev2/original of course.

I have the MV and nearly each channel eq at or around 1 o clock and control volume with the channel volume. For me it kills at whisper and wall shaking volumes. I'm quite happy with it. With the Maxon up front and some EQ in the back, I am thrilled with the sound.
It ain't no slouch, that's for sure... It's capable of melting faces. It is an Uberschall. And there are a MESS of happy people out there with the Rev.Blue that didn't suck prong to the fervour and craziness of unobtainium flavour of the week. So ya, kick ass man.

But seriously - get into a decent attenuator and a lot of good things will happen. You'll get the bottles cooking and its true character will come out in spades :thumbsup: :rock:

Ventura":13ymwa3t said:
It ain't no slouch, that's for sure... It's capable of melting faces. It is an Uberschall. And there are a MESS of happy people out there with the Rev.Blue that didn't suck prong to the fervour and craziness of unobtainium flavour of the week. So ya, kick ass man.

But seriously - get into a decent attenuator and a lot of good things will happen. You'll get the bottles cooking and its true character will come out in spades :thumbsup: :rock:

Yeah, I knew I was compromising a bit, but price was a factor as well and I got a hell of a deal for a "blem" half stack. But thanks for the input. I've looked into Rock Crushers/Webers a bit in the past, perhaps something to revisit when I get the itch.

These amps have great master volumes, my twin jet sounds thick, searing, and pounds at lower volumes, but of course slays at jam volumes.
There's little to no difference going from 120w to 150w. More headroom with the kt88's, more thump out of the power section, little more clarity. By no means sterile, and the twin jets definantely do not have less bass, just clearer. Twin jet has a wider eq range and can get crazy quick. But tune it right and it breathes fire like no other. Right Ventura?
The preamp designs are still apples to apples, minor differences over the revisions. Some people geek out over them a little too much IMO.
My Butterslax is 100w and it gets stupid loud, way louder than the uberschall, and the Friedman has the el34 power section, it gets help with the Butterslax cab with the 12's and 15's. Totally dependent on the design of the amp though.
That amp will do wonders for sure, enjoy it!
You may find yourself getting used to it and dumping that eq eventually ;)

Took my ears a bit to adjust to its awesomeness.
:rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Also where did you get a blem half stack? You got a dealer close?

The more I play it, the more I think that the Twin Jet has a wider range of tones than the others. The Rev 2 sounds more scooped and isn't as flexible.

LunatiBSW":3qpf4n5k said:
These amps have great master volumes, my twin jet sounds thick, searing, and pounds at lower volumes, but of course slays at jam volumes.
There's little to no difference going from 120w to 150w. More headroom with the kt88's, more thump out of the power section, little more clarity. By no means sterile, and the twin jets definantely do not have less bass, just clearer. Twin jet has a wider eq range and can get crazy quick. But tune it right and it breathes fire like no other. Right Ventura?

I was utterly shocked by the master volume. The first night I had it, I was rocking out for half an hour while the wife got the baby to sleep. She had no idea I was even playing haha. In hindsight, I'm coming to terms with the negligible difference between 120 and 150. I would be pissed as I originally wanted the Twin Jet for two dirty channels, but I am a little obsessed with the dark warm nature of the clean on the Rev Blue. I play it WDW with a Deluxe Reverb/ext cab and my goodness, it fills the room with sonic ludes.

I'm still getting to know the amp, it's been a fun process. For me, I have a great clean and a great metal tone. Now I'm debating OD pedal or third amp for crunchy/smokey/reverb infused goodness.

LunatiBSW":3qpf4n5k said:
Also where did you get a blem half stack? You got a dealer close?
Musician's Friend of all places.. (Am I allowed to mention dealers by name?). Head was listed as a blem, but they marked it wrong, only thing wrong is on the footswitch itself, and the Uberkab was a return. So I have a nearly new Uber and didn't sabotage my wallet :)

leib10":1tx8vare said:
The more I play it, the more I think that the Twin Jet has a wider range of tones than the others. The Rev 2 sounds more scooped and isn't as flexible.

Out of curiosity, how well does channel 1 on the Twin Jet clean up for crunch, etc? Couldn't find clips of that in my search. Folks either seemed to rock it out full-on, or mention the purple mod to make ch.1 clean.

Purple mod was only for the first runs of the twin jet, when it had a worse gain taper and cleans weren't as easy, "born" then the purple mod. Which is basically what is instilled in the later twin jets now.
I get gorgeous cleans from my twin jet. Up the channel volume cut the gain to half or less. Use neck pickup, good to go. For crunch, I eq slightly different, turn up the gain, and hit it with a Wessex bogner pedal for a little bit more "feel" out of ch 1. Channel 2 stays the same usually. Love having that "3rd" channel option.

Bad ass, although if you keep talking highly about the twin jet it's gonna lead me to expensive decisions :aww:

I'm researching with a myriad of OD pedals, or potentially seeing if I can use my EVH 5153 head as OD for other amps via my midi switcher, I love the Blue channel. Topics for another thread of course.

It's not Fender clean, but it does sound pretty awesome when you get it properly dialed in. I run my gain at about 10:00 on Channel 1 for cleans.

leib10":h1mhtqbc said:
Here here!! Slap some 6550s in there, and some choice preamp glass and it's my TopPick Uber out of the bunch.

YMMV.

Ventura":14deeb3d said:
misterspockyall":14deeb3d said:
Lunati- Thought long an hard about a TJ, but didn't really want the 150w for mainly playing at barely above bedroom volumes. My cab is front loaded.
This comment is stirring some issue with me.

First up, if you're not moving the amp past bedroom levels, you're not at all aware of what the amp's true nature is. No amp sounds like anything at bedroom volume - dare I say practically any hi-gain head will sound almost like the next one - at bedroom levels. Fucking with bottles and stomps and all this nonsense is pointless at low volume playing.

The TwinJet is a superior amp for tone, in my humble opinion. People can flame me for this and I don't give a shit. But - after little research - it does seem that a lot of people think the Rev.Blue just wasn't a great release from Bogner HQ, so my sentiments aren't alone. But again, even if they were, I'd not give a shit.

However, the TwinJet, or the Rev.Blue or the Rev.2 or anything else out there with 4 bottles in it will never offer you - the player - its true personality and tonal characteristics at pet-store volume levels. Like having a Lamborghini doing pylons in a parking lot with the driver saying he'd prefer a different steering wheel for performance enhancement - doesn't matter.

Stick with it - and if you're not planning on getting that amp and 412 out the door and into a space where you can flap your pants, bring it down a few notches to a 30W head or or less - where you can drive the power section, etc. Or get an attenuator before you buy a small arsenal of stomps and see how the characteristics of the amp change once the MV gets past noon :thumbsup:

Been playing the amp regular for a few months now. Pretty happy with the tones I'm getting for quiet playing as well as jamming with a drummer (with and without pedals). Just got home to an empty house and decided to really crank it: Holy sh*t. No boost, no post eq. Dialed out the harshness and put the Master/Channel volumes at 1 o'clock. The tones are simply murderous. I just started laughing and turned it off, one hell of an amp.

In my Marshall days, I was well versed in turning up for tone. I'm happy to have found that spot with the Uber as well. I feel like I'll be learning the EQ's til the day I sell it, but the payoff is really something.

Great, as if the other Uber thread wasn't enough to stir my fuckin gas.

Glad your diggin it!
I think we got our new amps (mine's a Savage) right around the same time, and I feel the same. Still lovin her.

Back