Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Mar 30, 2017 1:43pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27, 2017 5:26pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Just got a new toy and wanted to share. EHX Soul Food.

I've been running a Maxon 808, and it makes the Uber pissed and grindy. But I bought the damn amp because it had so much bass, and the Maxon cuts it obviously.

I've been contemplating a Suhr Koko Boost for a few months, but haven't felt like shelling out $250 for a boost. Dude at Guitar Center suggested an EHX Soul Food. I played nice, but haven't ever been fond of EHX stuff. Did a bit of research, and today brought one home.

My verdict, I have grind, but my bass response is still there. A/B with the maxon, I greatly prefer the Soul Food. And at $80, I'm a smitten kitten.

2016 Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ custom ext cab
2013 EVH 50w w/ 2 1x12 cabs Ivory
1998 Marshall DSL 100w / Peavey 5150 4x12 cab
1994 Crate 1x12 combo w/ DOD Grunge pedal

PostPosted: Sat, Jan 28, 2017 4:56pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Uberschall they are known for the massive brutal bottom end.
The boost will always cut the low end and you don't want that :)
I have never boosted it. no need to.
I was extremely lucky that Reinhold Bogner modded me one of my ultimate Uberschall Original. That mod is devastating. It's kinda of a boost without losing the low end ;) extremely Hard to do but he had done it for me.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 30, 2017 4:52pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Love the sound of yours, wild. I do however like mine boosted, at least for low volumes. I'm a sucker for high-mid attack. I also want my low-end, I want it all haha

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 31, 2017 11:30am 
Rock God

Hey man, I am a firm believer in the Koko boost.

Everyone's setup and goals are different but idk it is just the right pedal for me. I went from a devoted Maxon 808 guy to the Suhr and am not looking back. Not with this setup anyway, it is perfect.

I know a guy who had both the grind and the koko at the same time, he sold the grind. I will also say IMO the koko likes 18v.

I say get one and try it. I wait for MONTHS for a good deal. Scored one for under $120 on ebay but it took a very long time to wait for the right deal. Just keep your eyes open. It is worth a try IMO.

With that said I also rave a lot about the pedal and someone else on here bought one from my hype and he did not like it at all. To each their own, maybe it will work for you maybe not.

There are TONS of very transparent pedals out there these days that will not cut your bass to try from.

Koko Pro's - sounds grainy as fuck, transparent, gives you that little extra push and is great IMO for metal.

3 way clipping toggle

Can choose the actual frequency of the mid boost (still doesn't cut the bass only boosts the mids) and the actual boost amount so lots of options. (I keep both low)

Koko cons - For me, the clean boost side is useless. I use a boost in front of a high gain amp to give it a little more. IMO the clean boost side sounds like crap. It is not stack able so it is one or the other.

I have never played around with different uses like slight breakup on cleans and whatever else so this is just my experience with my application.

This pedal would be perfect if the clean boost was stack able and was just simply a db boost of the other channel. That way I could use it for a lead boost.

"Your cab on the floor becomes one with the earth, thus more resonant."

"So before any of of you corn fed,mullet head ,death metal,walmart shopping,ass licking faggots pass judgement on me, you better get your facts straight and your shit in one sock first." Jdub

"And if any man will rip thee off for a sweet guitar cab, and put thee off with lies and bullshit, let him have a crisp Andrew Jackson also." Benjamin801

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 31, 2017 11:45am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

misterspockyall wrote:
Love the sound of yours, wild. I do however like mine boosted, at least for low volumes. I'm a sucker for high-mid attack. I also want my low-end, I want it all haha

I'm like you in that I love that grinding upper mid attack. I also like a deep punchy low end, but one that is tight and sharp on the attack of the low notes. I think that's the thing I love the most about the Savage 120. It achieves those things for me without a boost just plugged straight in. :rock:

I've thought about trying the Soulfood a few times myself. Might eventually give it a shot in place of the TS9 I run in front of the FB100.

I still want and will own an Uberschall someday.

I love Walnut

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 31, 2017 2:46pm 
Journeyman NOOB

MetalHeadMike wrote:
misterspockyall wrote:

I'm like you in that I love that grinding upper mid attack. I also like a deep punchy low end, but one that is tight and sharp on the attack of the low notes. I think that's the thing I love the most about the Savage 120. It achieves those things for me without a boost just plugged straight in. :rock:

I've thought about trying the Soulfood a few times myself. Might eventually give it a shot in place of the TS9 I run in front of the FB100.

I still want and will own an Uberschall someday.

I'll have to throw the Soul Food in front of my brother's FB100 one day and post back with my impressions for you. I know the Maxon didn't quite sing well with it.

Maddnotez- Thanks as always for the input. If i get the hair up my ass one day, I'm gonna have to try it. I mean, it can't be any worse than a Soul Food I think...

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 08, 2017 1:20pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I typically use the OD808 as well as it's lower gain (not really adding gain to the signal but maybe a hair), or the Mesa Flux Drive or BB Preamp. The Uber has plenty of bass but obviously the boost adds a different flavor and attack to the amp. The BBPreamp and Mesa Flux are my favorite OD's - maybe need to try a Soul Food...or the OD808x

Was hoping the Killswitch Engage OD would see the light of day.

Bogner Ecstasy Classic
Bogner Telos Head
Bogner Uberschall - Black Out
Mesa Chrome Chassis Triple Rec Rev G
Mesa Triple Rec Multi-Watt Black Out
Orange 4x12's & 2x12
Suhr T Custom Alder w/ 5A Roasted Maple & BKP Aftermath
James Trussart Steelcaster - Aracne Pups
Gibson SG VOS BKP Black Dog
Tom Anderson Cobta T (on order)

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 08, 2017 3:35pm 
Journeyman NOOB

UberschallEL34 wrote:
I typically use the OD808 as well as it's lower gain (not really adding gain to the signal but maybe a hair), or the Mesa Flux Drive or BB Preamp. The Uber has plenty of bass but obviously the boost adds a different flavor and attack to the amp. The BBPreamp and Mesa Flux are my favorite OD's - maybe need to try a Soul Food...or the OD808x

Compared to the OD808, I find the Soul Food has less boost overall, or at least that's my impression. I have to max the volume and work the gain around 9 'oclock to get it to compare to the Maxon with the typical "full volume, minimum gain" settings.

But the benefits of keeping more of the amps original tone with the Soul Food make it very worth it for me. I get to hear all the Uber can do, but get that immediate mid-range attack from the boost. Until I shell out for a Koko, I don't foresee swapping it out.

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 08, 2017 3:37pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I didn't dig the Koko as much for boosting the lead channel, I liked it though on the Uber Clean channel - sounded great for fattening up the clean and adding some mids on the mid boost setting.

Bogner Ecstasy Classic
Bogner Telos Head
Bogner Uberschall - Black Out
Mesa Chrome Chassis Triple Rec Rev G
Mesa Triple Rec Multi-Watt Black Out
Orange 4x12's & 2x12
Suhr T Custom Alder w/ 5A Roasted Maple & BKP Aftermath
James Trussart Steelcaster - Aracne Pups
Gibson SG VOS BKP Black Dog
Tom Anderson Cobta T (on order)

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 08, 2017 6:00pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Noted. Not picking one up will make the wife a lot happier

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 10, 2017 12:25am 
Plank Cranker

UberschallEL34 wrote:

The only negative with the BB (and it is one of my favs among a bunch of od pedals I own) is that it has a lot of gain, even with the gain knob below 9:00... And it is very Marshally sounding (hence the Bluesbreaker moniker). It really adds a Marshall flavor to the sound, which can be good or bad depending or your wants. Another guy here erock513 swears by it and gets awesome results from the BB as well. If you haven't tried it op, you should.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), TMM (S: Celestion G12T75 speakers), talltxguy (S: Mesa power tubes), and many more.

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 14, 2017 3:28pm 
Hack

The TS variety of pedals never tend to work well with Marshall style amps and were always voiced for giving a Fender amp gain at lower volumes and/or a boost in the mids so that your solo can stand out in a mix. I figured this out long ago when having my own headaches with drive and boost pedals that play well with my Bogners!

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 05, 2017 11:54am 
Supah Stah

I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about losing a little bit of bass with an Uberschall having an 808 in front. There is so much on tap, just turn the bass knob up 10% more.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 06, 2017 11:35am 
Journeyman NOOB

RJF wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about losing a little bit of bass with an Uberschall having an 808 in front. There is so much on tap, just turn the bass knob up 10% more.

The loss is considerable, and not really able to be recovered with the bass knob as those frequencies are so weak when they hit the amp. Although I am just playing in a room by myself, so I'm not aiming for band mix frequencies.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 06, 2017 10:54pm 
Plank Cranker

Two other pedals you should check out are the Airis Effects Savage Drive and KHDK Ghoul Screamer. I really like the SD in front of my Blue Uber and Triple Recto. The GS has little more chunk if wanted (body switch), so that maybe be the ticket for you... but both are optimized for the task at hand.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), TMM (S: Celestion G12T75 speakers), talltxguy (S: Mesa power tubes), and many more.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 07, 2017 7:56am 
Journeyman NOOB

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Two other pedals you should check out are the Airis Effects Savage Drive and KHDK Ghoul Screamer. I really like the SD in front of my Blue Uber and Triple Recto. The GS has little more chunk if wanted (body switch), so that maybe be the ticket for you... but both are optimized for the task at hand.

Right on, I was curious about the Ghoul Screamer. I've actually been playing straight into the amp lately and taking it for what it is, but I like this as a database for what may or may not work for certain applications with an Uber. Who knows, I'll probably go back to boosting next week :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 15, 2017 6:02pm 
Supah Stah

ghoul screamer is a nice pedal, i bought one over the weekend, i normally boost with my od808 but i will be using the ghoul in the future.