Fish owners if intrested in a "Cantrell" mod...Update got 1!

Tone Merchant":ck7hjnm8 said:
I picked up my black fish today from Bogner that had just been modded with the Jerry Cantrell/Rob mod to it. All I can say is that it was crushing. If anyone has ever heard the We Die Young Demo tone, thats the modded fish. I plan on using the mod with lowered tuned guitars. So, I had reinhold tighten it up even more and I was in heaven. The Fish will be at the high gain amp shootout, so u guys will hear it then.

It was OK. :scared: :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Reinhold and I are gonna work on the mod a little bit more. Reinhold thinks he can really improve on it. Maybe this week ill be able to hook up with him and also get more info as to when it will be available to everyone

Tone Merchant":291sf4y8 said:
Reinhold and I are gonna work on the mod a little bit more. Reinhold thinks he can really improve on it. Maybe this week ill be able to hook up with him and also get more info as to when it will be available to everyone

Does everyone include the people in germany ? :confused:

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: Cant wait to hear more about the poweramp!...Steve & stripes also has an excellent idea for future bogner preamps- offer all the mods w/ a switch for them or not...great idea-then its up to the owner to use them or not....

Tone Merchant":ixu8qw9q said:
I picked up my black fish today from Bogner that had just been modded with the Jerry Cantrell/Rob mod to it. All I can say is that it was crushing. If anyone has ever heard the We Die Young Demo tone, thats the modded fish. I plan on using the mod with lowered tuned guitars. So, I had reinhold tighten it up even more and I was in heaven. The Fish will be at the high gain amp shootout, so u guys will hear it then.
The We Die Young demo was in 1988-1989. The Fish didn't come out until '91, right?

i didnt say he used the fish to record the demo. thats the tone the jerry mod has. maybe Jerry went to Reinhold and played him the demo and said copy that :rock:

Read the posts by Snorkler about Jerry and the tone off of Facelift.

http://bognerampforum.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=706

And if you look down in the pics provided by Snorker you can see a blue pc board which basically is the cantrell mod he told me..and you can also see the snorkler head with the 69 sticker on it..he told me that jerry wrote something on the amp, but i can't seem to find that email he sent me.

So in summary, the we die young demo tone is the Snorkler amp, and put two and two together, that is what he used to record the whole album, so the new mod should sound just like Facelift too...I NEED THAT MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tone Merchant":2byd29a7 said:
i didnt say he used the fish to record the demo. thats the tone the jerry mod has. maybe Jerry went to Reinhold and played him the demo and said copy that :rock:
Oh, I see. My bad.

HUGE NECRO BUMP!!//1!!!

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE AND AVENGE MY DAUGHTER!!!!1!!1!1

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyways, I came across this thread and wanted to bump it to show how far we have come in the quest for Cantrell tones. :thumbsup:

Seriously, what I remember was the reissue was a very close if not almost perfect reissue of an original Fish preamp but what everyone really wanted was the Cantrell or Danny Spitz gain mod on the shark channel. You can tell if it has this mod because there is a knob in place of a metal toggle switch on the front faceplate.

I will be honest, for me the reissue was not that great, I don't really think you could dial in Jerry tones that well at all. Then I got an original one in immaculate condition with a Cantrell mod. Still have it since 2009 and never regretted selling the reissue.

Me personally I have never heard a reissue with the shark channel mod.

Just curious if anyone still has their Fish or if anyone still has a original or reissue with the shark/Cantrell/Spitz mod.

Once again sorry for the necro bump just wanted to see where we are almost 10 years later, I actually would still be interested in a reissue if I could send it to Bogner for the Cantrell mod. :rock:

i have the reissue, i would love to have the mod.
the shark channel is completely useless to me. would love to hear a clip of the original w/mod.

I ordered a reissue (2011) with a second brown channel and cantrell mod (whale mod, is what bogner identified the mod on the invoice as).

The mod was definitely getting into channel 2 uber territory. With that said, it still needed to be boosted with an OD if you wanted a tight attack. The gain past 9:30.. 10'Oclock just turned into a muddy boomy mess. It sounded good but i wasnt trying to dial it in to sound like cantrell. I was pairing that fish with a new fryette 290 at the time.

A couple years ago, i bought my good friends fish (Bronco) with 2 brown channels. Same era as we had ordered fishes about the same time. I prefer my brown channels boosted through my dmoll's or 5153 stealths power sections to the cantrell mod and power amp.

Ive chatted with Dan Gower about modding the shark channel in the past. Having done 2 KKs with him... i was convinced he could/would do something far better with that channel. Its something i still plan on doing.

Back