Atma

roccster

Didn´t see a dedicated thread so I made one :)

Thought we could share our discoveries in here, or other question, tips and tricks. The little amp is so versitile that sharing stuff we find out is prob. a time saver for many.

I have two questions so far.

1. What cab would you recommend, and why (i play most classic rock).

2. How do you crank the clean channel to get it to break up (kinda like Eric at 3:40 in to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8R70--0MEs) you just crank the volume?

Sheers!

/ Richard

Not that many Atma users yet? :)

Check out the latest Atma video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFHzqBr3NNI some sweet tones there!!

And for those of you looking for a "gig-bag" this is what I found in the closet.

Works like a charm, and even fits a couple of pedals, cables and the footswitch, saved me some bucks :)

Attachments

• bag1.JPG
    bag1.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 13,920
  • bag2.JPG
    bag2.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 13,896
Just got home from rehersal with the band. Man this thing just continues to impress me. We played classic rock tunes today, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Gary Moore and so on, and this thing just rocks so great that I dont want to stop playing. Since I needed a little more fizz and fuzz I sat the front voicing switch to 80s and the back switch to modern. Even at these settings the volume knob never got pass 11 o clock. The solo-channel just got a nudge more volume and that was enough to get a nice kick. Played it without any effects today, and will only add a WahWah the next time. Maybe there is room for an OD-pedal for the clean channel since it´s not easy to get it to break, especially when playing at 18w. And 18w on this baby is LOUD! :D

Super gr8 job Bogner, im such a happy camper :D

I went through a period where I was really considering a lunchbox amp, started by the ENGL Ironball then via the Suhr and Bogner - in the end I decided that all the clips I was hearing were through 4x12s so my dream 'mini amp' setup probably wasn't going to happen so I bought a used Friedman Marshall instead :) However, I'm interested to hear more comments / clips on the Atma..

Oh, and nice fly fishing video LOL

Haha sorry bout the link :D Thats what happens when you copy paste and not verify after...

At least here is another new demo that is not as produced as the other ones out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgPavwAness
(hope its not fly fishing)

This clip doesen´t lie. A little delay in the eff. loop but thats probably it. At least mine sounds pretty much the same.

According to description he runs it with a Two Rock 1x12 cab. Im planning on using a 2x12 Goldfinger when I can get my hands on one. Atm. I have borrowed a 2x12 from a friend.

If it was anything that I would add to it, it is a boost switch for the clean channel that could crank that channel in to that sweet blues-drive without cranking the volume at max. Cause even at 1w, max volume is still to loud for an appartment :)

Wonderful amp!
(oh and this was the clip I wanted to link in the first place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFHzqBr3NNI)

Hello,

I am interested in the Bogner ATMA on paper, but don't have the luxury of auditioning one in person.
I have listened to the youtube videos that are available and, in general, really I like what I am hearing (although it sure would be nice for somebody to just play it with a guitar plugged in directly without effects). Personally, I haven't found any youtube demo that offers a demo of this amp without some effects.

Anyway, my questions are as follows:
1. I require a great clean sound (I use an HSS super strat type guitar). Does the ATMA offer great clean sounds in Ch1? Bogner markets Ch1 as offering "blackface and tweed sounds" which I realize are just reference points. However, my primary concern with this amp is that in Ch1 the "tone knob" might really be more of a "gain knob" which transforms it from "blackface type sounds" to "tweed type sounds" without having the ability to shape the clean sound (no tone knobs) in Ch1. The only tone shaping for Ch1 seems to be the treble toggle for low, medium or high. Does anybody find this to be a limitation in Ch1?
2. Does the "vintage / modern" toggle switch in the back of the amp apply to all 3 channels or just the high gain channels (2 and 3).
3. I tend to hear a lot of noise from this amp on the youtube clips that I have listened to (even when the guitar player was using a humbucker pickup)? Is this amp inherently noisy?
4. My "normal" settings for this amp would probably be setting it for a nice clean sound in Ch1 (using the single coil pickup options of my HSS) and either the 60 or 70 setting for Ch2 & 3. Most often probably the 70 setting based on what I am hearing on youtube demos. Secondly, I would be playing it through my 112 Avatar cab with a V30 speaker which has the option of open back or closed back. Is this amp capable of providing me with great sounds based on how I would normally use it, or is it more suited for a harder rock aggressive sound?
5. Assuming that I would be able to achieve very nice clean sounds in Ch1, does it have sufficient headroom to reasonably hang with Ch2 or Ch3 in a rehearsal / gig situation?
6. I know that some of my questions are very subjective, but I just want to get a better understanding of actual ATMA owner opinions regarding this amp prior to ordering one since I have no option to trying one out in person.
7. This amp really appeals to me because it offers 3 footswitchable channels in a very small and light weight package. I do own a Mesa Mini Rec which I do really like, but find clean headroom on that amp a bit of an issue. Secondly, I really like the fact that the ATMA is a 3 channel footswitchable amp head in a very small package.

I would appreciate feedback from anybody that owns or has at least auditioned the Bogner ATMA amp!

Thanks in advance.

Hi m8!

Since I am the proud owner of one I will try to shed as much light as possible on your concerns :) For reference I play mostly classis rock. My setup is as follows:
1. Atma
2. Les Paul
3. Zilla 2x12 with 1 Greenback and 1 GH12-30
4. A pedal or two (allthough I must admit It dont really need any pedals)

dgaemc2":jvlfkmj5 said:
Anyway, my questions are as follows:
1. I require a great clean sound (I use an HSS super strat type guitar). Does the ATMA offer great clean sounds in Ch1? Bogner markets Ch1 as offering "blackface and tweed sounds" which I realize are just reference points. However, my primary concern with this amp is that in Ch1 the "tone knob" might really be more of a "gain knob" which transforms it from "blackface type sounds" to "tweed type sounds" without having the ability to shape the clean sound (no tone knobs) in Ch1. The only tone shaping for Ch1 seems to be the treble toggle for low, medium or high. Does anybody find this to be a limitation in Ch1?
I can understand your concerns on the clean channel, however on my Atma I have not been able to break up the clean/crisp sound without cranking the volume and tone at max, and then it barely breaks up. And this is with the Les Paul Burstbucker pups. Don´t forget you have the 3 position bright switch to shape your tone as well. Saying that, I have seen the videos where they seem to play the clean channel and getting it almost crunchy, but I have not mannaged that. It really feels as if the tone knob is more a treb/mid boost then gain. The only limitation I feel with the clean channel at this point (with the lack of a proper EQ), is when you put a OD-pedal in front of it. I have not yet found an OD pedal that works well with the clean channel, but I have only tested two so far.
2. Does the "vintage / modern" toggle switch in the back of the amp apply to all 3 channels or just the high gain channels (2 and 3).
Since it is in the power amp circuit I belive it shapes the entire amp, but I can verify this later tonight.
3. I tend to hear a lot of noise from this amp on the youtube clips that I have listened to (even when the guitar player was using a humbucker pickup)? Is this amp inherently noisy?
My amp has almost no noise at all. Sure there are some when you really crank it, but that is just normal. And I hate noisy amps! Listen to Giovannis video (linked later), no noise at all in that one.
4. My "normal" settings for this amp would probably be setting it for a nice clean sound in Ch1 (using the single coil pickup options of my HSS) and either the 60 or 70 setting for Ch2 & 3. Most often probably the 70 setting based on what I am hearing on youtube demos. Secondly, I would be playing it through my 112 Avatar cab with a V30 speaker which has the option of open back or closed back. Is this amp capable of providing me with great sounds based on how I would normally use it, or is it more suited for a harder rock aggressive sound?
It´s impossible to say, but I really love this amp, and I belive it can dial in pretty much anything you want, except ENGL hyper gain. It´s definetly not a one trick pony i.e "Hard Rock Aggressive". Running CH2/3 in 60´s mode with cranked gain and a strat/single coil will give you an awsome Hendrix like crunch tone. Switching to 70´s and you get some more classic Zep-gain, and 80´s just shape things up getting it a bit more modern, but not recitifier modern rather something in between. The 112 CAB will probaby work great. I think this demo is one of the most accurate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgPavwAness and Giovanni plays on a 112 Two Rock in this one. Allso give you a hint on the cleans.
5. Assuming that I would be able to achieve very nice clean sounds in Ch1, does it have sufficient headroom to reasonably hang with Ch2 or Ch3 in a rehearsal / gig situation?
It´s a loud 18w for sure. I can not really comment on this, but give me to after tomorrow and I try it out with the band. :)
6. I know that some of my questions are very subjective, but I just want to get a better understanding of actual ATMA owner opinions regarding this amp prior to ordering one since I have no option to trying one out in person.
I know the feeling, and I am happy to try and shed some light for you.
7. This amp really appeals to me because it offers 3 footswitchable channels in a very small and light weight package. I do own a Mesa Mini Rec which I do really like, but find clean headroom on that amp a bit of an issue. Secondly, I really like the fact that the ATMA is a 3 channel footswitchable amp head in a very small package.
Thats why I bought it. 3 Channels with one dedicated as clean. Allthough now I would have wanted it to be at least a 5-6 channel amp ;) It´s so versatile and as I said you can dial it to almost anything you want, thats why I would have loved one or two more channels. Guess I will have to buy another one and A/B them :D
Having said all this, when it comes to the power it is LOUD! Playing with the band in a rather small rehersal room I have never set the volume passed 12' o clock, and that is on 80´s and modern setting. Last rehersal I ran it with the Vintage setting and the volume never went pass 11, and we have a rather loud drummer (dont we all) :D

If it lacks anything I would say that a "real" EQ on the clean would have been nice, but thats because I would have liked an OD on that channel to get it even more versatile then it is. Putting a good OD-pedal there and I might be able to get that sweet just cranked blues sound as well. This I plan on fixing by finding the right pedal (an OD-pedal with an EQ).

Well I guess thats pretty much it.

/ Richard

roccster,

Thank you so much for your detailed response, it is very helpful and most appreciated!! :D

The link that you provided is the one that I have been salivating over which has caused me to seriously GAS for this amp!
It just so happens that my primary two guitars are Suhr's (Pro Series S3 HSS, and Standard HSH).
I also own a very nice Gibson Les Paul. However, I don't play it as often because I find my "super strats" to fit me like a glove! ;)

A couple final questions for you:
1. Does the ATMA provide prompt and seamless channel changes (without loud pops) when foot switching between the channels?
2. Does the effects loop work well without significantly sucking tone and/or adding unwanted noise?
3. Based on the YouTube videos that I have heard (including the one that you posted), the ATMA seems to "clean up well" simply by rolling off the guitar volume knob. Has this been your experience?

Once again, it sounds like you are loving your ATMA and I so much appreciate your feedback! :rock:

dgaemc2":2lbtug6e said:
roccster,

Thank you so much for your detailed response, it is very helpful and most appreciated!! :D
Just glad I can help, I know how hard it is to buy something that you can not test. We all know that the directed and processed vids. do not show us the real deal, but I believe that when you cant find a video where it sounds bad then there is something good going on :)
A couple final questions for you:
1. Does the ATMA provide prompt and seamless channel changes (without loud pops) when foot switching between the channels?
Excellent channel switching. There are no pops at all.
2. Does the effects loop work well without significantly sucking tone and/or adding unwanted noise?
I have only used the ef loop with my Line6 M5 for reverb, delay and chourus. I can´t say that I noticed any tone sucking, but then again, the M5 isn´t the best pedal in the world, the pedal pops when activated etc. But that it does when run infront of the amp as well, so that has nothing to do with the eff. loop. Im gonna try some other pedals in the eff. loop tonight just to make sure.
3. Based on the YouTube videos that I have heard (including the one that you posted), the ATMA seems to "clean up well" simply by rolling off the guitar volume knob. Has this been your experience?
Absolutley, this is why my "issue" with the clean channel, not beeing able to break up, is not that big a deal. Even when I run CH2 with a large amount of gain, rolling back the the volume (depending on your volume pot that is) cleans it up beautifuly with just a slight ammount of gain. I tend to do this instead of using the clean channel atm.
Once again, it sounds like you are loving your ATMA and I so much appreciate your feedback! :rock:
I am no studio musician, i jam with my pals in a rebuilt garage and plays a gig now and then, been playing on and off for almost 30 years. I love gear, and have owned alot of crap through the years. The older I get the more I realize that all those pedals and stuff we fiddle around with just becomes time thieves, i want to plug in my guitar and play. This amp does that, and it does it good. Sure I get a delay, or chorus in there sometime but I find myself playing dry more and more.
Another thing, don´t get fooled by the 1w setting. Sure it makes the amp alot more quite, but 1w is loud. Playing in my appartment I have the volume at 09-10 (on modern/80's), and I have very good walls but wouldn´t go higher then that :) .

Excellent roccster!
It sounds like you and I have a similar guitar playing background. I am in a band, but we don't gig very often.
Over the past 5 years or so, I have really enjoyed "the less is more approach" to plugging my guitar directly into an amp.....often without using any effects.
That said, it is always nice to have a loop, and it sounds like the ATMA loop works well for you.
The "cleans up nicely" by rolling off the guitar volume knob is a feature that I find very beneficial in any amp.
It sounds like this amp does that very well based on your experience and all of the clips that I have heard.
I have placed an order for one and am really looking forward to playing through it!! :D
I have no idea when I will receive it.....just have to be patient! ;)
Thanks again for your comments. They have been very helpful to me! :rock:

dgaemc2":2b2yh6rd said:
Excellent roccster!
It sounds like you and I have a similar guitar playing background. I am in a band, but we don't gig very often.
Over the past 5 years or so, I have really enjoyed "the less is more approach" to plugging my guitar directly into an amp.....often without using any effects.
That said, it is always nice to have a loop, and it sounds like the ATMA loop works well for you.
The "cleans up nicely" by rolling off the guitar volume knob is a feature that I find very beneficial in any amp.
It sounds like this amp does that very well based on your experience and all of the clips that I have heard.
I have placed an order for one and am really looking forward to playing through it!! :D
I have no idea when I will receive it.....just have to be patient! ;)
Thanks again for your comments. They have been very helpful to me! :rock:

Can only congratulate you :D

I didnt have time to mess around that much with the clean channel yesterday, but I think it will do the trick (when it comes to the volume matching CH2/3). The clean is loud as well. Sure if you really crank the tone and volume it will break a little, but then again, that is with the burstbucker pups. If I just rolled of a little it became clean and chimy. Your Suhrs single coil will probably do a much better job in the clean department :)

Let me know when you get it!

I have an Atma incoming. Should be here late next week. Looking forward to having another Bogner in the stable.

Lution":23t9h2ms said:
I have an Atma incoming. Should be here late next week. Looking forward to having another Bogner in the stable.

Gratz m8!
:rock: :rock:
Nice to see that there are/becomming more Atma owners out there :thumbsup:

Ok, thought I post it in here as we'll if you missed my q about an OD pedal for the clean channel.

If you like me, play mostly rock, and want a way to use the clean channel with an overdrive then I would recommend you try out the Bogner Ectasy pedals.
I tried some other pedals at first, but realized that since the clean don't have a proper EQ then the pedal should. I managed to get a used Red, and even though I feel the blue might compliment the amp better (making it even more versatile), I just love the sound I can get with the red. I run the Atma clean channel at 1 o clock, and the bright switch on bright. This makes the pedal just shine, resulting in first a good clean tone, then a sweet crunch on ch2, and a great solo or high gain on ch3. Kicking in the pedal on ch1 gives me a saturated 80,s EVH but more modern (that's how I have dialed it atm), and the boost on the pedal takes that sound to solo gain hell ;)
This pedal just made this amp even better, and I might even look in to getting the Blue Ectasy as we'll :) that would result in like 7 channels!!

Good info roccster!
I am really hoping that the "clean channel" sounds great stand alone using my Suhr guitars for great cleans and the possibility of some breakup.
I am eagerly awaiting receipt of my amp, but still no idea when I will receive it.
I do have some boost pedals that I will eventually try through my Atma after becoming familiar with the amp.
I am pleased to hear that you are liking the Bogner boost pedal through the clean channel! :)
Have fun with it!!

roccster":yg83m0xf said:
Ok, thought I post it in here as we'll if you missed my q about an OD pedal for the clean channel.

If you like me, play mostly rock, and want a way to use the clean channel with an overdrive then I would recommend you try out the Bogner Ectasy pedals.
I tried some other pedals at first, but realized that since the clean don't have a proper EQ then the pedal should. I managed to get a used Red, and even though I feel the blue might compliment the amp better (making it even more versatile), I just love the sound I can get with the red. I run the Atma clean channel at 1 o clock, and the bright switch on bright. This makes the pedal just shine, resulting in first a good clean tone, then a sweet crunch on ch2, and a great solo or high gain on ch3. Kicking in the pedal on ch1 gives me a saturated 80,s EVH but more modern (that's how I have dialed it atm), and the boost on the pedal takes that sound to solo gain hell ;)
This pedal just made this amp even better, and I might even look in to getting the Blue Ectasy as we'll :) that would result in like 7 channels!!

Clips?? Would love to hear it

flash6969":33oq3cxd said:
Clips?? Would love to hear it
Yea im working on that, just have the iPhone at the moment, but will try and get it to the studio soon, where I can get a decent recording that can do justice to the sound.

Back