Atma

Gotcha!

I bet the V30 will sound good (after break-in) with the G12H-30 in your 212. Hope so anyway. I agree that open back vs closed back can make a huge difference. Good that yours can do both.
My well broken in V30 actually sounded quite good in my 112 open back! I do think my G12M-25 greenback sounds a bit better (highs are definitely smoother), but can be a bit bassy if not careful.
How would you describe the difference between the G12H-30 and the G12M-25? I have never owned a cab with a G12H-30, and that is what Bogner is loading in their 112 Atma cab (if they ever get around to making it!). ;)

I have the version 4 OCD. Using it in "LP mode" with drive set low (9-10 o'clock) with excellent results!

Cheers!!

Gonna keep my eyes out for the OCD, sounds like a really good pedal.
When I ordered my 2x12 I knew I wanted at least one Greenback, but after listening to the videos of the Atma where they use the Goldfinger cab with 1 Greenback and 1 G12-H30 I just had to try that combo.
As always it is hard to try to explain sound, but I feel the G12-H30 adds air and an organic clarity to the sound. The Greenback is smoother in the highs and a bit tighter I think. Looking at several of the Bogner cabs they choose to load them with G12-H30 so I guess it is a good generic speaker. How it´s gonna work on it´s own in the Atma cab will be interesting.

I might do a test run with the Suhr 1x12 and G12-H30 before I return the cab. If I do I let you know :)

/ Richard

Yesterday was the first rehersal with the new bluesband, and boy I really love my rig now.
First of all the Amta is such a sweet tool to start with (as already mentioned a couple of houndred times), still running it in 80´s mode and modern voicing (since I still like to tighten the bass).
But the thing that really shined yesterday was the Simble OD in the clean channel. It just nailed the slightly gritty blues clean I was looking for, especially in neck and middle pos. on the Les Paul.
The Simble is a really dynamic pedal that reacts great with the volume control. I also had the 2x12 on a speaker stand that got it off the flor and that really did alot for the overall sound.
I hope we can get something recorded soon so you guys can get to hear it.

roccster":zwowskps said:
Yesterday was the first rehersal with the new bluesband, and boy I really love my rig now.
First of all the Amta is such a sweet tool to start with (as already mentioned a couple of houndred times), still running it in 80´s mode and modern voicing (since I still like to tighten the bass).
But the thing that really shined yesterday was the Simble OD in the clean channel. It just nailed the slightly gritty blues clean I was looking for, especially in neck and middle pos. on the Les Paul.
The Simble is a really dynamic pedal that reacts great with the volume control. I also had the 2x12 on a speaker stand that got it off the flor and that really did alot for the overall sound.
I hope we can get something recorded soon so you guys can get to hear it.

Thats good to hear, would love to hear some clips with the G12H30 too.

That's fantastic roccster!!

I am glad you loved it with your new pedal and the cab elevated a bit!! :rock:
I assume that you used your Zilla 212 with the G12H-30 and G12M-25W Speakers?
It sounds like you found a real winner with your OD pedal!

I definitely agree with Raymond wanting to hear some clips buddy!
Also, please do try your G12H-30 in your Suhr Cab if you get the chance.

FWIW.....I also prefer the 80's mode in modern with the Atma in Ch2 & 3. I don't really think it sounds like typical 80's hair band rock.....more like great classic / hard rock IMO.
Either way, it sounds great with my guitars and I love it!!! :rock:

A few weeks ago, somebody asked whether or not Ch2 & Ch3 could have different "Era settings" (i.e. 60, 70 or 80).
The answer was correctly stated "No" by roccster. However, one thing that I would like to add is that even if the Atma were capable of that it wouldn't work for me.
Each of the modes (60, 70 & 80) modes require different TMB control settings to sound their best IMO, and they all definitely have different volume levels at a given setting!
Ironically, the 80's mode works best for me because when the gain is set moderately or even high......it doesn't blow out the windows of my house like the 70's mode. Also, while I can achieve nice sounds in all modes.....the 60's mode requires me to reduce the Bass a lot, Mid some and Treble increased quite a lot to achieve tones in that mode that I really like.

I haven't owned my Atma very long, but so far I find true magic of Ch2 & Ch3 in 80's Mode, and set to Modern voicing. The 80's Mode also cleans up surprisingly nicely with the volume knob of the guitar which is an added bonus for me.

Very Cool Amp!! :D

Today, I had the opportunity to really "dive into" the Atma and open it up! :)
I spent most of my day playing the Atma in "Vintage" and at the 5W setting, and what a fun day I had! :D
After today's indulgence, I can honestly say that I prefer the clean sounds offered in Ch1 set to "Vintage" while using my Suhr standard guitar (HSS) guitar.
It sounded great to me!!
I was also able to achieve great crunch and lead sounds from Ch2 & 3 in the "80's mode" with TMB set very similar to how I normally set them in "Modern Mode" (i.e. TMB set at 12 o'clock or very close to that). I then spent time in the "60's mode" and after adjusting the gain, volume and TMB.....it sounded Fantastic!!
While in the "60's mode", I nearly maxed the gain in Ch2 and Ch3, reduced the Bass and Mid a LOT to about 9 o'clock, increased the Treble to about 3 o'clock and played my Suhr HHS in position 2 (between the bridge HB and the middle single coil), and absolutely loved the sound that I was achieving!! Btw.....I had to reduce volume controls in Ch2 & Ch3 to about 9-9:30 to control the additional volume created by diming the C2 & 3 gain controls, but WOW, I really enjoyed the great crunch rhythm and nice lead sound I achieved in the 60's mode when set this way.
I also spent time in the "70's mode" which also sounded nice, but when I turn up the gain to where I want it......it is still quite loud in 5W mode....a bit too loud for me at home.
I still haven't played my Atma in rehearsal with my band (we are in a hiatus right now due to very busy work schedules), but IMO the Atma set to 5W through my 112 cab would sound great and work well for me in my band for small venue gigs.....which is basically all that we ever get!! ;)
Atma owners....definitely give the 5W setting and "Vintage Mode" a chance if you haven't already. I think it sounds great!

Cheers!! :D

dgaemc2, Wow, that sounds like a cunning plan! Don´t know why I havent thought of that when rehearsing. Guess I was just to focused on the 80s mode, modern voice and 18w, but in rehersal the volume knob have never passed 12 (and thats with the rock-band playing rather loud). Setting the amp in 5w, vintage voice will most definetly get the power tubes to work harder and that might change the tone as well. Sure gonna try that out tomorrow when playing with the blues-band.
You still run it in 80´s mode though (80´s mode, 5w, vintage voicing)?

The 60´s setting is cool, I think it´s a bit to situational when it comes to versatility, but man I really love that crunch you get on that setting (when cranking the gain). Takes you to Jimmi Hendrix territory right away (especially with some single coils), and it´s so fun to play with. Guess putting the OD on top of that might get the amp to rock out.
There are so many options and thats why I really love this amp, just gets better and better.
Had to return the Suhr cab before I had the opportunity to test the GH12-30, sorry bout that guys. I have plan to get some clips soon where I put a microphone in front of each speaker, maybe that can help with getting some sort of comparrison.

My next mission is to get a boost on the "clean".
My signal path is like this atm:
guitar -> Wah Wah -> Simble OD -> Amp Clean
This gets me an awsome blues tone that I really like (as mentioned before), but I would like something to crank that tone when going in to a solo so I ordered a Klon clone kit (Silver Pony) and did this:
guitar -> Wah Wah -> Simble OD -> Klon clone -> Amp Clean
The Klon Clone sounds really good when it comes to clean boost, but at the end of the chain (especially after the Simble) it messes up the tone a bit. It removes the lovely chime I get through the Simble, and also hardens the tone in a way that is not pleasant at all. I tried to run the Klon clone before the Simble but that didn´t make much difference.
Mad Professor have a pedal comming out next year that might be great for this, but for now I guess I have to stick with the volume knob :D

Yeah, give it a go in 5W and Vintage and see how it works for you roccster.
I am interested in hearing what you think!
No problem about having to send the Suhr cab back before speaker swap / recording.
I am actually very pleased with the sound of my 112 cab with 25w greenback speaker.
I do agree that 80's mode is the most versatile (and is my usual go to mode), but I really enjoyed playing in 60's mode (with gain set high), 5W, vintage yesterday through my strat style guitar.
I didn't have my OCD in front......just plugged guitar directly into the amp and it sounded terrific. Today, I will try it with OCD in front as well.
Sorry, but I can't help you much regarding a good clean boost pedal. I have never owned one.
Have fun at rehearsal today, and let us know what you think about 5w / vintage mode
Cheers!

Sure will m8,
Screw the neighbours... Two minutes to miiii...

Attachments

• trooper.JPG
    trooper.JPG
    360.1 KB · Views: 6,753
First dissapointment with the Atma.
At the rehersal today it behaved verry strange. All of a sudden it went from Modern to Vintage (without touching the switch), and that was not a pleasant surprise, not for me nor for my band mates since the output changes drasticly.
It happend three times, and I had to switch it back and forward to get it back to modern. Also, when switching from Modern to Vintage there is a couple of seconds with no sound at all. This is not good at all, especially since I prob. will have to send it to Germany to get it fixed, and I cant be with out an amp for several weeks at best sincew just started as main guitarist in the blues band. Damn!!

Raymond Lin":1hllmynv said:
Sorry to hear that! Have you emailed Bogner and tell them about it?
P.s. Bogner is based in California, not Germany.

Hehe, yea I know they are in California, but I bought from Germany so I will have to send it back there (most probably), then they will send it to the Netherelands since there is the tech that can fix it, and I believe this will prob. take 1-6months. Well, emailed Jorg and hope he can help me get it to a tech here in Sweden instead.

Damn!

Sorry to hear that roccster!!
That really sucks!! Hopefully a tech in Germany can fix it quickly!!
Best of luck to you!

dgaemc2":20su8jkp said:
Sorry to hear that roccster!!
That really sucks!! Hopefully a tech in Germany can fix it quickly!!
Best of luck to you!

When you switch your amp from vintage to modern does the sound dissapear for a second or two? If I remember correct I did not notice this in the beginning.

roccster,
I am by no means an amp tech, but one thing that I would do prior to sending it anywhere is to remove the cover and just inspect it.
It could be something as obvious as a loose connection that might cause the amp to randomly switch between "vintage and modern mode"!
Personally, I wouldn't do anything after inspection unless I saw something "obvious", such as a mechanical wire connector that wasn't completely seated and vibrated loose, etc.?
Anyway, I certainly hope that your amp problem is a simple fix and that it happens soon!
Please keep us posted, and I wish you all the best!

dgaemc2":3878yul3 said:
roccster,
I am by no means an amp tech, but one thing that I would do prior to sending it anywhere is to remove the cover and just inspect it.
It could be something as obvious as a loose connection that might cause the amp to randomly switch between "vintage and modern mode"!
Personally, I wouldn't do anything after inspection unless I saw something "obvious", such as a mechanical wire connector that wasn't completely seated and vibrated loose, etc.?
Anyway, I certainly hope that your amp problem is a simple fix and that it happens soon!
Please keep us posted, and I wish you all the best!

Had a friend who is really good with amps inspect it the other day. Suspect the power tubes to be the reason for the hum, no idea about the switching issue. Have contact with Jorg at Bogner, so we´ll see how to fix this. Will know more after tonight.

Ok, time for recap of my problems.

As always Jorg at Bogner is really great in getting back fast, and it´s not just your standard reply, he really tries to get a grip on what´s going on. Musik-produktiv.de (in Germany), not so much. First respond I got was today, and since I emailed the person I have had contact with before (when buying the Amp), he basicly just gave me the answer to contact their warranty department (why he couldn´t do that for me I don´t know).
Well as I mentioned before, warranty issues is supose to be handled by the reseller (as usual, nothing strange aboout that). But since I live in Sweden I fear that the whole process would just take to long. And I don´t like to ship the amp back and forth all over Europe, I would have liked the ability to contact the techs that Bogner have here in Sweden, but rules are rules so that is not an option (since I didn´t buy it from a Swedish reseller).
So instead I brought the amp to an amp-guru here in Gothenburg. We spent an afternoon troubleshooting, but couldn´t really find anything wrong, when all of a sudden (while he was meassuring the output) the hum came on (see video).
The first thing he said when the hum started was that this is a ground issue. He then started the detective work in trying to find the source. After alot of trial and error, where he basicly resoldered all of the output jacks, the hum seemed to have dissapeared. We suspect that this could have been an oxidated solder point or a loose speaker jack. I also asked Jorg if this could affect the Vintage/modern and apperantly that is most likely. Jorg explains that if the ground goes off it affects the feedback circuit, off less feedback which will be close to the vintage setting, so that seems very possible.

I have had the amp with me at work, leaving it on for several hours, and also played alot at home (mostly 1w/modern), and so far the problem has not occured again. Tomorrow it´s time for rehearsal and that will be the real test (keeping my fingers crossed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEMZzA ... e=youtu.be

About three months ago I decided to sell nearly all of my gear with the purpose of starting again, building up from a great amp. Then I came across the Atma, so 'pre' ordered.

Just had confirmed today that my delivery date has been moved for the fourth time, this time to unknown :doh: ....I found this thread a few weeks ago and Raymond had given me hope that these might start to be available, but alas not.

I'm seriously considering changing my order to a Suhr Badger 18, which was my original choice, before I found the Atma...I have to say I've never dealt with Bogner amps before (actually I've never had a 'boutique' amp), is waiting like this normal?? Or is there something special about this amp?

I've also ordered from Germany (as they had the closest delivery date, ha!) there only seems to be 1 dealer in the UK, at last check, they were about 3 months away from stock.....hmmmmm

Ammo-Diz":ebxnmkuw said:
About three months ago I decided to sell nearly all of my gear with the purpose of starting again, building up from a great amp. Then I came across the Atma, so 'pre' ordered.

Just had confirmed today that my delivery date has been moved for the fourth time, this time to unknown :doh: ....I found this thread a few weeks ago and Raymond had given me hope that these might start to be available, but alas not.

I'm seriously considering changing my order to a Suhr Badger 18, which was my original choice, before I found the Atma...I have to say I've never dealt with Bogner amps before (actually I've never had a 'boutique' amp), is waiting like this normal?? Or is there something special about this amp?

I've also ordered from Germany (as they had the closest delivery date, ha!) there only seems to be 1 dealer in the UK, at last check, they were about 3 months away from stock.....hmmmmm

I know the feeling. I think Bogner is just having problems keeping up with the demand, both for good and bad. The Atma that arrived here in Sweden got sold almost instantly, so you better keep the preassure up on the once you´ve ordered it from, I think beeing a pain e-mailing alot is a good way ;)

Having that said, reading your reason for giving up all your stuff to start fresh I think you can´t go wrong with the Atma. It can do so much, and compared to the badger I think it´s a no-brainer. If im not misstaken, the Badger is a one channel amp, and that will most probably get you starting the whole pedal and gear aquiring again. Now I like pedals and mixing with my tone, but whats so awsome with the Atma is that the dirty channels are so great that you don´t want/need anything to change that. As you´ve probably read I run a pedal in front of the clean, but that´s just my taste in the clean sound. No amp is perfect, but this one have alot of great things to offer. If I bought a Suhr Badger and loved the crunch sound, how would I dial a clean? I think an amp shall have at least two channels, if you are going to gig with it.

But I understand yor frustration not getting your paws on one...

Back