Intermittent Popping on 20th 101B Clean Channel

lkft

I have a fairly new 20th 101B. It has developed an intermittent popping sound on the clean channel. It's barely audible on the blue and red channels too but it's there. I disconnected all cables except the speaker cab and it's still there so I assume it to be tube related. Any insight before I start troubleshooting? Ive already emailed Charley @ Bogner. Thx!

...also I have popping using the footswitch, mostly on clean channel. Like others once I've switched it a few times it tends to be lessened but doesn't quite go away completely.

Intermittent popping sounds like tubes hit the mute swithcher and if it still pops it power tubes. Are there jjel34's in there?

This might sound crazy. loosen your jewel light and jiggle it a little. Then remove it. Does it still pop? Mine did that on the clean channel and it had something to do with the light holder. I think I reflowed the solder joints and it was fixed.

jamme61":1oaydwp8 said:
Intermittent popping sounds like tubes hit the mute swithcher and if it still pops it power tubes. Are there jjel34's in there?

No they're winged Cs. I sent a vid to Charley of it popping so I'll wait and see what he says. I turned it off for a couple of hours and came back and fired it up and it didn't do it so it may have something to do w/it getting hot.

Charley is great he's the one who told me about using the mute switch to narrow it down. I had a piping noise with a new 2013 xtc and it had jjel34's which is what bogner is using now. The popping was the jj's and charley told me that they do that but it wouldn't be a problem. Good luck

Also noticed this morning that the clean channel has developed a hiss, not very loud be definitely noticeable and this was cold so not issues w/heat. Definitely something wrong though.

Not yet that's the next step obviously but just looking for some similar situations w/other owners before I hear back from Bogner. I was hoping there might be others w/the same situation like glip22 but doesn't seem to be as many out there like other models but I expected that.

lkft":1gxcxjb0 said:
Not yet that's the next step obviously but just looking for some similar situations w/other owners before I hear back from Bogner. I was hoping there might be others w/the same situation like glip22 but doesn't seem to be as many out there like other models but I expected that.
just go ahead and swap the tubes out. It's your first step. 80% of problems in a tube amp are usually tubes.

Swapped out the V6 tube as per Charley's recommendation and still have the prob persisting. The prob is a popping sound coming from the clean channel. The standby button on the footcontroler doesn't silence it. On the blue and red channels it's barely audible but still there in the background. It doesn't happen right away, usually takes about 30-45 min to an hour to start popping. It's not a loud pop but then again I don't have much volume at home so I imagine once I get it up to band volume it would be too loud to ignore. Any ideas before I contemplate sending to a tech? Which poses another prob...I have no known, reliable techs here locally (Puerto Rico) so I'll prob have to send it to Bogner in CA which will cost me $600 aprox in shipping. Thx!

Hi,as the V6 tube(2nd&3rd/gainStage-CleanGreen) is not at fault
,another option is V1 tube(1st/gainStage-allChannels).
One 'half' of V1 handles the Green,the other 'half' for Blue&Red.

Yes, you'd expect ALL channels to have the popping;even more on Blue&Red,
but it is worth checking before shipping.

Also,while the popping is happening, when the volume is turned up&down the noise
will vary accordingly?
If not (i.e. it stays constant in loudness), it's something further along the signal-path;
PowerTubes, or something really random like the SpeakerCable/connections with intermittent contacts
(apologies if you've already been through this stuff already)
....easier to change than internal components & connections ,which unfortunately would be likely.

One other 'easy' thing to check is the channel-switcher on the Back of the Amp;
flick it ,and the other ones,a few times (Low Volume!/footswitch NOT plugged in).
It'll confirm they're properly 'latched'.
Kind Regards,David.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! Thinking about the problem has gotten me to believe that it's caused by a bad tone cap in the clean channel preamp ckt. The popping is rather fast and gets faster the longer the amp stays on so I'm going to check that and will report back. Thx!

*Update*
FYI...This prob was related to a bad ground connection around the standby switch. Paint was scraped away and the popping went away.

Back