Bogner 4 x 12 with V30's - Harsh

I think it's just the nature of V30s. Up close they sound that way but further away they sound different and better. If you stand next to your 4x12 and listen above cab they sound good but when you put your ear up to speaker they are harsh to me.

I had a Helios 100. It sounded BEST through v30's IMO. Like it was voiced for them. I had a greenback cab and a v30/ GB cab. The straight v30's by far sounded best.

lkft":299792fx said:
I would wonder if in the 5 yrs you've had the cab if you've been able to really crank it and get those V30s a chance to break in knowing that they need that to sound their best.
Electric guitar speaker "break in" is a myth and nothing more. You got new speakers, play them and enjoy.

My personal advice is for blues/rock/metal always go with 8 Ohm or a 4 Ohm load in series/parallel. I stay away from a 16 Ohm load at all times - a 16 Ohm load typically produces a "thinner" tone against a 8 Ohm load.

series_parallel.jpg

Here's my $.02 regarding both the Helios 100 and Bogner cabs with V30's:

I swapped my Shiva 20th for the Helios and was playing through a V30 loaded Bogner OS 2X12. Crazy thing was I had to crank the presence on the Helios all the way up to get past an almost muffled sound Which I never had with the Shiva. A buddy of mine said he had the same issue and ended up swapping for an FBE. I was about to can the Helios as well until I read that the Helios can be a very bright amp?!? So, before I decided to unload it it drug out my Ubercab (that I had on the chopping block) and gave it a try....and BAM...it was like NIGHT & DAY!! So much so, that I decided to keep the Helios and am really lovin' it.

I'm not sure if it's because of the speakers (x-pattern v30/G12T-75) or the difference between a front loaded vs a rear loaded cabinet but it sounds like a COMPLETELY different amp. The friend I mentioned earlier that had the same muffled sounding issue was also playing through a Bogner OS 2x12 w/ V30's so go figure.

Next I'll drag out my 90's V30's loaded Mesa Traditional 4x12 and see how that sounds.....

My issue with this setup (Helios into 4 x 12 with V30's) is that it has an EXTREME harshness to it. So much that I literally cannot tolerate the sound coming directly from the speaker. It's too harsh and even thin sounding. This is at full power with all controls at noon except for presence, which was virtually off.

I'm not really a high gain player - I prefer the lower input plexi mode and I'm using an R9 Les Paul. I would expect the sound to be thick and woody but it's thin and harsh.

I'd be willing to change out two of the speaker to greenbacks but I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference.

Really, really frustrating.

Agreed on the Creambacks.

I have a Creamback 75 mixed with a Creamback 65 loaded in my Port City 2x12 and it gets a great sound. I've considered doing and x-pattern using them in a 4x12 but haven't gotten that far yet.

psmith68":kt9oae91 said:
My issue with this setup (Helios into 4 x 12 with V30's) is that it has an EXTREME harshness to it. So much that I literally cannot tolerate the sound coming directly from the speaker. It's too harsh and even thin sounding. This is at full power with all controls at noon except for presence, which was virtually off.

I'm not really a high gain player - I prefer the lower input plexi mode and I'm using an R9 Les Paul. I would expect the sound to be thick and woody but it's thin and harsh.

I'd be willing to change out two of the speaker to greenbacks but I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference.

Really, really frustrating.
This sounds odd, but try turning the mids and bass on full, treble off, then presence to taste. It sounds really good with the Helios.

The Chinese V30s are actually quite warm and smooth once broken in. They seem smoother than the british version, believe it or not.

Back