NAD: Uberschall Rev Blue w/ Ubercab

misterspockyall":8wq92rdi said:
Ventura":8wq92rdi said:
misterspockyall":8wq92rdi said:
Lunati- Thought long an hard about a TJ, but didn't really want the 150w for mainly playing at barely above bedroom volumes. My cab is front loaded.
This comment is stirring some issue with me.

First up, if you're not moving the amp past bedroom levels, you're not at all aware of what the amp's true nature is. No amp sounds like anything at bedroom volume - dare I say practically any hi-gain head will sound almost like the next one - at bedroom levels. Fucking with bottles and stomps and all this nonsense is pointless at low volume playing.

The TwinJet is a superior amp for tone, in my humble opinion. People can flame me for this and I don't give a shit. But - after little research - it does seem that a lot of people think the Rev.Blue just wasn't a great release from Bogner HQ, so my sentiments aren't alone. But again, even if they were, I'd not give a shit.

However, the TwinJet, or the Rev.Blue or the Rev.2 or anything else out there with 4 bottles in it will never offer you - the player - its true personality and tonal characteristics at pet-store volume levels. Like having a Lamborghini doing pylons in a parking lot with the driver saying he'd prefer a different steering wheel for performance enhancement - doesn't matter.

Stick with it - and if you're not planning on getting that amp and 412 out the door and into a space where you can flap your pants, bring it down a few notches to a 30W head or or less - where you can drive the power section, etc. Or get an attenuator before you buy a small arsenal of stomps and see how the characteristics of the amp change once the MV gets past noon :thumbsup:

Been playing the amp regular for a few months now. Pretty happy with the tones I'm getting for quiet playing as well as jamming with a drummer (with and without pedals). Just got home to an empty house and decided to really crank it: Holy sh*t. No boost, no post eq. Dialed out the harshness and put the Master/Channel volumes at 1 o'clock. The tones are simply murderous. I just started laughing and turned it off, one hell of an amp.

In my Marshall days, I was well versed in turning up for tone. I'm happy to have found that spot with the Uber as well. I feel like I'll be learning the EQ's til the day I sell it, but the payoff is really something.

Amazing what that little knob labeled volume can do isn't it?

Enjoy!

Wizard of Ozz":3rwaxrds said:
misterspockyall":3rwaxrds said:
Ventura":3rwaxrds said:
misterspockyall":3rwaxrds said:
Lunati- Thought long an hard about a TJ, but didn't really want the 150w for mainly playing at barely above bedroom volumes. My cab is front loaded.

First up, if you're not moving the amp past bedroom levels, you're not at all aware of what the amp's true nature is. No amp sounds like anything at bedroom volume - dare I say practically any hi-gain head will sound almost like the next one - at bedroom levels. Fucking with bottles and stomps and all this nonsense is pointless at low volume playing.

The TwinJet is a superior amp for tone, in my humble opinion. People can flame me for this and I don't give a shit. But - after little research - it does seem that a lot of people think the Rev.Blue just wasn't a great release from Bogner HQ, so my sentiments aren't alone. But again, even if they were, I'd not give a shit.

However, the TwinJet, or the Rev.Blue or the Rev.2 or anything else out there with 4 bottles in it will never offer you - the player - its true personality and tonal characteristics at pet-store volume levels. Like having a Lamborghini doing pylons in a parking lot with the driver saying he'd prefer a different steering wheel for performance enhancement - doesn't matter.

Stick with it - and if you're not planning on getting that amp and 412 out the door and into a space where you can flap your pants, bring it down a few notches to a 30W head or or less - where you can drive the power section, etc. Or get an attenuator before you buy a small arsenal of stomps and see how the characteristics of the amp change once the MV gets past noon :thumbsup:

Been playing the amp regular for a few months now. Pretty happy with the tones I'm getting for quiet playing as well as jamming with a drummer (with and without pedals). Just got home to an empty house and decided to really crank it: Holy sh*t. No boost, no post eq. Dialed out the harshness and put the Master/Channel volumes at 1 o'clock. The tones are simply murderous. I just started laughing and turned it off, one hell of an amp.

In my Marshall days, I was well versed in turning up for tone. I'm happy to have found that spot with the Uber as well. I feel like I'll be learning the EQ's til the day I sell it, but the payoff is really something.

Enjoy!

:LOL: :LOL: hell yeah. I really only find myself using boosts when I'm playing below my desired level to get the speakers dancing.

Wizard of Ozz":2thii3d9 said:
misterspockyall":2thii3d9 said:
Ventura":2thii3d9 said:
misterspockyall":2thii3d9 said:

Enjoy!

This is a good point here. IMO with some amps the desired effects of a boost are negated to some extent as you crank the master. I mentioned that about the FB100. At lower volumes I need to boost it. When the master's cranked, I can ditch the boost for certain stuff (e.g. death metal in the vein of Obituary or some forms of thrash). While I play fairly loud even for home volumes, its still not cranked to the point where the power section is really cookin and the speakers are being pushed hard (especially in my case cause I'm playing on G12K-100s which are a pretty high wattage inefficient speaker).

Lots of variables when talking about this stuff.

Got myself a Fryette Power Station for Christmas to try the attenuation thing. Bottom line, I didn't think it helped the tone enough to justify the purchase, and it's on its way back.

The Fryette is an amazing machine, and works as advertised. But I think a lot of the Bogner charm comes from moving air in mass quantities. I found the Fryette allowed the mids of the E34Ls to shine through more, but also obviously distorted the tone more as the power tubes got cranking. Overall, the attenuated tone had more breakup, maybe good for leads, but made the chugs sound a bit sloppier.

I suppose I just prefer the more processed sound with the boost up front and some EQing in the loop. Just thought I'd post for posterity. I'm sure I'll change my mind on the tone next month haha.

misterspockyall":1ulgcnn6 said:
Got myself a Fryette Power Station for Christmas to try the attenuation thing. Bottom line, I didn't think it helped the tone enough to justify the purchase, and it's on its way back.

The Fryette is an amazing machine, and works as advertised. But I think a lot of the Bogner charm comes from moving air in mass quantities. I found the Fryette allowed the mids of the E34Ls to shine through more, but also obviously distorted the tone more as the power tubes got cranking. Overall, the attenuated tone had more breakup, maybe good for leads, but made the chugs sound a bit sloppier.

I suppose I just prefer the more processed sound with the boost up front and some EQing in the loop. Just thought I'd post for posterity. I'm sure I'll change my mind on the tone next month haha.

The Uber has a great MV. I'd never consider an attenuator for playing, unless I was recording.

Ventura":26zm9wph said:
leib10":26zm9wph said:
The more I play it, the more I think that the Twin Jet has a wider range of tones than the others. The Rev 2 sounds more scooped and isn't as flexible.
Here here!! Slap some 6550s in there, and some choice preamp glass and it's my TopPick Uber out of the bunch.

YMMV.
:rock: :rock:

maddnotez":1t9r2lya said:
This thread is making me want a Twin Jet.

It's definitely louder, tighter, and more articulate than the Rev 2. Especially louder.

I've had many Uberschalls over the years. I definitely prefer the Regular vs the TJ.
Here's a suggested setting for getting the most out of the gain channel. Run the channel volume maxed of at 3:00, or somewhere in between. Presence about 9:00, Treble at noonish, mids at 11:00, bass at 11:00 gain about 10:00. Then use the master for overall level, with the master at 9:00 it's incredible how loud the amp gets with the channel volume up.

UberschallEL34":32ylk8bx said:
I've had many Uberschalls over the years. I definitely prefer the Regular vs the TJ.
Here's a suggested setting for getting the most out of the gain channel. Run the channel volume maxed of at 3:00, or somewhere in between. Presence about 9:00, Treble at noonish, mids at 11:00, bass at 11:00 gain about 10:00. Then use the master for overall level, with the master at 9:00 it's incredible how loud the amp gets with the channel volume up.

I've owned a bunch of Uber's and right now I've got a 2106 Uber Blue and a 2016 TJ side by side and both kill. Very different sounds from each. I'd be hard pressed to move either one.

Back