NAD: Uberschall Rev Blue w/ Ubercab

Howdy-

First post, long time reader. Just took delivery of my Rev Blue & Uberkab. Comet Tolex, EL34.

I'm a nit-picky sob, and was not immediately impressed with the amp. Coming from an EVH 50w, I wanted something with more balls. I was surprised how "Super Marshall-y" the Uber was to my ears (a bit fuzzy, not what I was hoping for). But A/B-ing with the the EVH, it does have waaaay more beef and articulation.

I just don't seem to be getting as much aggression and pick attack as I seemed to hear on Rev Blue Youtube videos (brbong channel for instance). I match EQ/volume setups with the videos and mine sounds like it's under a blanket. Lasse Lammert's modded Rev 2 clip has ruined me in terms of Uber expectations I think haha.

I know some folks do the Maxon/TS thing with Uberschalls, any suggestions? (Not looking forward to the "Buy a rev2" comments haha)

Thanks guys, looking forward to participating after reading and learning so much.

Honestly the twin jet describes the uber you want. Blue has more sag. Twin jet has more immediacy and pick attack along with all the other goodness uber character. The higher headroom and more powerful power section help accomplish this, so as said maybe try kt88 in the amp, but I would get it modded to accomplish this.
Is your uberkab front or rear loaded, FL will be more "in your face"

Leib- Thanks for the input, I've learned a lot from your posts on Uberschalls. Considered buying your TJ actually, perhaps I erred haha.

Lunati- Thought long an hard about a TJ, but didn't really want the 150w for mainly playing at barely above bedroom volumes. My cab is front loaded.

I can dime out the EQ and kill the presence knob to get a pretty grindy scooped sound with low volume, but it doesn't translate too well when I turn it up obviously. I tried boosting the front end with an MXR 6 band EQ yesterday and lo and behold- grind and mids. I'm going to purchase a Maxon today, either 808 or OD9. At any rate, thank you both for the feedback. I'll post back with results (not that I'm breaking any new ground).

I have a Maxon od808 that sounds the best boosting the uber IMO.
But I've been getting away from boosting and using less gain over the years.

Tried out the od808 and OD9 side by side on a Marshall DSL 40 combo. It didn't take but 2 minutes for me to come home with the 808 haha. Thanks for the suggestions, haven't tried it on the Uberschall yet.

I haven't tried many OD pedals with the Uberschalls, but the Maxon is a great place to start. I might've liked my Rev Blue more if I had the Maxon when I owned it.

MXR 10 band eq (or some other variant) in the loop and boost it :rock: Done.

I felt the same way about my FB100 and boosting, clean boosting mind you with drive@0 level 9 o clock, adds the attack I was missing while sucking some low frequencies to tighten it up.

The eq in the loop is absolutely essential for me on any high gain amp I've ever owned/played. Without it I would have returned every single one of em. It removes the "blanket over the speakers" syndrome and adds girth and 3D room filling sound. It will also allow you to suck out the Fizz/Fuzz up around 8kHZ and 16kHZ.

If your not using and EQ in the loop, your missing out IMHO :D

Just as an example, I recently bought a Diezel Herbert and had I not played with an eq in the loop and boosted, that amp FOR ME would have been worth no more than a Peavey vyper. Well that's a bit of an extreme exaggeration but... It is an AMAZING amp for me boosted and with the eq, but without it it was useless. As were my EVH 50 watt, EVH 100 watt, Engl Blackmore, Engl Fireball 100, Engl Savage 120, (The eq here for sure but this amp doesn't need a boost actually IMHO), and Peavey triple XXX II.

Try the EQ and boost and move on from there :D Just my 2cents

MetalHeadMike":yg68ontt said:
MXR 10 band eq (or some other variant) in the loop and boost it :rock: Done.

I felt the same way about my FB100 and boosting, clean boosting mind you with drive@0 level 9 o clock, adds the attack I was missing while sucking some low frequencies to tighten it up.

The eq in the loop is absolutely essential for me on any high gain amp I've ever owned/played. Without it I would have returned every single one of em. It removes the "blanket over the speakers" syndrome and adds girth and 3D room filling sound. It will also allow you to suck out the Fizz/Fuzz up around 8kHZ and 16kHZ.

If your not using and EQ in the loop, your missing out IMHO :D

Yep, I plan to put the 6 Band back in the loop where it belongs, but hoping the maxon out front will allow me to Eq more subtly. I wish I could just plug straight into an amp and be happy, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case. Can't wait to get off work today to do some playing around.

Yeh man I wish the same thing. Closest I've come to straight in is the Savage 120 I just picked up. Still need the eq in the loop to open it and up get rid of that boxiness but no boost needed with the right pickup. Tightest amp with the most pick attack and articulation I've come across yet. Still need to try an SE though :LOL: :LOL:

Just spent an hour or two playing with the OD808 driving the front (0 Drive, 10 Level, 5 Tone) and the MXR 6 band in the loop. Left the Uber dials mainly on or around 6, presence on 4ish. By the end, I had it dialed in to my tastes, and I'm a happy camper. I don't know that I have anything new to say on the subject, humped the mids going in to give it an aggressive attack, and Eq'd a slight smile curve to bring the sub bass and presence back into the mix. It is a satisfying tone, and I am now quite happy with my purchase.

Many thanks for the help, after dropping money on the amp and it not sounding like I imagined, my head was spinning. In the end, looks like the common "metal" approach was the right one.

It's a good day in America when you can come home to your amp, play it for 30 minutes, and be satisfied without adjusting any settings :inlove: Love this thing... for now haha

misterspockyall":2b4j29m2 said:
It's a good day in America when you can come home to your amp, play it for 30 minutes, and be satisfied without adjusting any settings :inlove: Love this thing... for now haha

Aint that the truth! Ya gotta love that scenario :D Hate when you dial one in, it sounds great that day and then sounds like utter shite the next :confused:

Feel that way about the FB100 :D First amp I've owned that just always sounds good. I fiddle very little with the settings.

Congrats on liking the amp! (For now :LOL: :LOL: )

My brother has the 100w Fireball too. He just uses a BBE in the loop, I wanna show up at his house with the Maxon and EQ to make him rethink his ways haha. But my god does the Fireball have immense balls to it. Great amp.

misterspockyall":g9orzsa0 said:
My brother has the 100w Fireball too. He just uses a BBE in the loop, I wanna show up at his house with the Maxon and EQ to make him rethink his ways haha. But my god does the Fireball have immense balls to it. Great amp.

Yeah it does. I've been playing my new Savage 120 the last month and just switched back to the FB100 for the first time in a while and the FB is WAY louder and WAY punchier!

I don't know why people complain about the clean channel on this amp. I run it stereo with a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and minus the reverb may prefer it to the DRRI. Its quite the whole sounding clean. Really impressed.

misterspockyall":1u71sjjr said:
Howdy-

First post, long time reader. Just took delivery of my Rev Blue & Uberkab. Comet Tolex, EL34.

I'm a nit-picky sob, and was not immediately impressed with the amp. Coming from an EVH 50w, I wanted something with more balls. I was surprised how "Super Marshall-y" the Uber was to my ears (a bit fuzzy, not what I was hoping for). But A/B-ing with the the EVH, it does have waaaay more beef and articulation.

I just don't seem to be getting as much aggression and pick attack as I seemed to hear on Rev Blue Youtube videos (brbong channel for instance). I match EQ/volume setups with the videos and mine sounds like it's under a blanket. Lasse Lammert's modded Rev 2 clip has ruined me in terms of Uber expectations I think haha.

I know some folks do the Maxon/TS thing with Uberschalls, any suggestions? (Not looking forward to the "Buy a rev2" comments haha)

Thanks guys, looking forward to participating after reading and learning so much.
i agree with what you have said here. played my Rev Blue Uber through my FL Uberkab and was not impressed at all. this was with all new tubes. for this reason i sent it to Trace at Voodoo and told him what i wanted and had him do a custom mod on it. i love my Uber now. if you want to hear it go to the Voodoo Facebook and look at the video of the Sonus Mod Uber, that is my amp. Night and day difference from the stock amp. i do not boost it at all, or use an EQ. there is no need after Trace modded it.

Very cool, like what I heard in the video. I'm going to avoid modding for now as I've resigned to using pedals, but glad that worked out for you. I was gonna have Voodoo do some work to my 5153 50w head so Chs. 1&2 could adjust gain independently. They seem to do good work

Back