Which Cabinet For 20th Anniversary Ecstacy Head

WilliamB

I have a EL34 equipped 20th Anniversary Ecstacy Head and have an opportunity to get a 2x12 Vintage 30 loaded cab for it. The seller has 2 cabs. One is 8 ohm and the other is 16 ohm. Has anyone had experience as to the sonic differences between these different impedance cabinets?
Thanks for your input !

Do you have the opportunity to try out both cabs? Id be interested to know the differences.
I use a 16 ohm 4x12 with V30s for my XTC. Sounds amazing.

I wish, if I could try them both I wouldn't need opinions. Either one has to be shipped to me, hence the dilemma!

I run mine through an os212 with creambacks or a 412st with v30s both sound great and would be hard to beat either. My 412st is 16ohm so when i put the creambacks in the 212 i used 8 ohm speakers wired in series for 16 ohm load. This way i can run it with both cabs if i desire.

the XTC was designed around V30's. greenbacks work nicely as well of course. 16 ohm is my preference.

I have a friend that swears 8 ohm sounds the best. I have no clue but he says that about XTC's.

gbsmusic":28doepqc said:
I have a friend that swears 8 ohm sounds the best. I have no clue but he says that about XTC's.
I prefer 16ohm in order to use all the wiring on the OTs.... but to each their own. 4ohm is definitely too stiff.

I prefer 16ohms as well. They are all workable but the feel is extra-juicy.

I'm not normally a V30 guy but the EL34 20thXTC is an exception.

Back