Anybody switching their 20th Shiva with midi?

nevusofota

I believe the only way is with the RJM Mini Amp Gismo and the RJM cable. Anybody running this setup? How's it going? Are you able to switch the channel, boost, and reverb?

Yes I used the mini amp gizmo with a boss GT10 and also a rocktron midimate. Worked awesome with my Shiva 20th, switching all functions instantly.

flimz":3pjsfwub said:
Yes I used the mini amp gizmo with a boss GT10 and also a rocktron midimate. Worked awesome with my Shiva 20th, switching all functions instantly.
Great! I already have the mini amp gizmo that I used for my EVH 100. I'm going to order the Shiva cable from RJM today. Thanks! :thumbsup:

If your EVH has 1/4 jacks, then you probably already have the appropriate cable.
Does your cable look like this one? This is the cable I used for the Shiva 20th.
SAM_1765_zpsqycaqbw3.jpg

No, the EVH 100w head had a proprietary 7 pin connector for the foot switch.

Why are there four 1/4" plugs? The Shiva only has 3 inputs.

Ok gotcha.
Thats a "universal" RJM cable that can be used with various amps that have 1/4" mono or stereo jacks.

As you have an amp gizmo it is irrelevant but i switched mine using a voodoo lab control switcher and trs cables. Worked like a charm.

GOHOINC":2jbunu47 said:
As you have an amp gizmo it is irrelevant but i switched mine using a voodoo lab control switcher and trs cables. Worked like a charm.
Really. I have a Musicomlabs midi switcher. What kind of a message did you send from the voodoo lab?

Well, the control switcher is just the interface to the amp. When I had my Shiva, I used a Ground Control Pro for the footswitch so there was no real message set up, it was just like setting up a GCX with the GCP. You are essentially turning loops on or off. I still use the control switchers but now with my XTC heads and it works the same way as with the shiva, there are just more options. I also have switched to a Boss ES-8 and for that I send basic program changes to the control switchers.

Not sure how the musicom works but in the Boss the basic workflow is to set up a patch (midi channel and program change #) and assign it to a button on the ES-8. Then Tap that button to send the PC message to the control switcher, then on the control switcher configure the switches to the desired combination for channel/boost desired, then save the combination on the control switcher. At that point the control switcher will recognize the PC# it is being sent when you step on a footswitch button and recall the combination you saved for that PC #.

To be more specific... I edit a patch and pick the midi channel on which control switcher I want (I use two of them) then I pick a PC # (There are 8 buttons on the ES-8 so I use PC #s 1-8) to send and save the patch. Then, on the ES-8, I push the button that the patch is assigned to once again (This sends the PC # to the control switcher). Then I go to the control switcher and set the loops on/off as desired to hit the channel/boost combo I want, then press/hold button 1 and button 3 (i think), all lights will flash and that indicates the control switcher has saved the program.

I use medusa cables to convert from the Bogner 8 pin din connector to TRS jacks and plug them into the control switcher. There are only 4 ports on the control switcher so I plug the jacks for channels 1-3 into ports 1-3 and then I use a mono Y cable to plug both boost jacks into port 4 of the control switcher.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps. If needed I can probably record a phone video of the process and send if you need. Took me a minute to figure it out but once I did, its a breeze.

Back