Video: Bogner vs Friedman

BrentSP

Figured I'd make a vid of my amps using the same cab/speakers (Bogner 212 with V30s) and same guitar (R9 Les Paul CC#24) with the same riff.

GOHOINC":33zh4ers said:
What exactly is this cantrell mod on your shiva?

It's a 3 way mod that gives you the choice of stock shiva, + and ++. ++ is gainer and more open, fluid, easier to play and not so congested sounding, spec wise it's similar to the XTC classic but more aggressive. + setting is the same thing just less of everything ++ does. Sits in the middle between stock and ++. In either of the 2 settings it's brighter, gainier and more aggressive. Sounds really good with lower gain settings also.

Also the bright switch is shifted to boost highs and mids unlike the stock bright switch that is very subtle and boost highs.

Here is a stock/modded comparison vid of it.

BrentSP":3ogg4hnq said:
GOHOINC":3ogg4hnq said:

It's a 3 way mod that gives you the choice of stock shiva, + and ++. ++ is gainer and more open, fluid, easier to play and not so congested sounding, spec wise it's similar to the XTC classic but more aggressive. + setting is the same thing just less of everything ++ does. Sits in the middle between stock and ++. In either of the 2 settings it's brighter, gainier and more aggressive. Sounds really good with lower gain settings also.

Also the bright switch is shifted to boost highs and mids unlike the stock bright switch that is very subtle and boost highs.

Now that sounds great! Is this a Mod that Bogner does or someone else and how much was it?

mixn4him":10rgiiw8 said:
BrentSP":10rgiiw8 said:
GOHOINC":10rgiiw8 said:

Now that sounds great! Is this a Mod that Bogner does or someone else and how much was it?

I did the mod myself. I build and mod amps on the side for fun. Here's a amp I built a while back.

BrentSP":bgweimb2 said:
I did the mod myself. I build and mod amps on the side for fun. Here's a amp I built a while back.

There's a lot of win here.

Nicely done Sir :yes:

Hi Brent, nice work all around!
I've been trying to track down gain/voice mods for my silver chassis EL34 Shiva.
After Bogner forums and TGP, here I am :)

From this post and another recent one on 'Marvel mods for XTC' with an archived link, it looks like all these Cantrell/Cameron/Marvel/Uber mods I've been hearing about are modifications to a preamp tube cathode R/C combo, is that correct?

I'm using this schematic snippet for reference:
http://spinoo.free.fr/sloclone/Shiva preamp.png
Which cathode R/C would you apply these mods to on a Shiva?
What values are you using for the Shiva?

I'm also hearing about jumpering R21 to send a hotter signal into V3 - is that something you've done?

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Matt

matt505":3j5qj02k said:
Hi Brent, nice work all around!
I've been trying to track down gain/voice mods for my silver chassis EL34 Shiva.
After Bogner forums and TGP, here I am :)

From this post and another recent one on 'Marvel mods for XTC' with an archived link, it looks like all these Cantrell/Cameron/Marvel/Uber mods I've been hearing about are modifications to a preamp tube cathode R/C combo, is that correct?

I'm using this schematic snippet for reference:
http://spinoo.free.fr/sloclone/Shiva preamp.png
Which cathode R/C would you apply these mods to on a Shiva?
What values are you using for the Shiva?

I'm also hearing about jumpering R21 to send a hotter signal into V3 - is that something you've done?

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Matt

Matt I apologize for not getting back to you on this. I never did get a email notification I guess. Yes it's similar to the R21 mod but takes it a couple steps further. I have since restructured the gain channel preamp and now it's to the XTC Classic blue channel spec. The bright switch is setup to be B1 and N.

glassjaw7":2uyrwlx1 said:
Love the XTC blue Shiva clip!
Thanks. I just finished up a mod for a customer where he wanted a less gained out fizzy red channel and more of an extension of the blue. I also retubed/bias. Sounds damn good now.

Brent that sounds so good!! Wow!

I can really tell you have the power tubes biased in the sweet spot as well. Clear and defined but no crossover. NICE.

Rdodson":2sgc0k6d said:
Brent that sounds so good!! Wow!

I can really tell you have the power tubes biased in the sweet spot as well. Clear and defined but no crossover. NICE.

Thanks Ron, that and the mod makes a big difference.

Back