If you're not happy with Red on XTC

jamme61

If you not happy with the red channel on your XTC and you don't want to mod your amp. Did you ever try using the B1 setting with the gain set to 10 o'clock- no higher then 11. This lets the B1 bright cap give it more high mids, to cut thru and adds a little gain in those frequencies. If you go higher on the gain knob you get less of the effect of the bright cap and you lose the cut. This setting is great for leads and rhythm. this is all IMHO My XTC is a 2009 totally stk

i don't know about others - but i really love my red channel for a more modern, articulate high gain channel.

interestingly, i sort of have gravitated to what you are saying - I'm on B1 with the gain around 9 o'clock. mids and treble set a bit higher than bass and i really like it.

its not marshall kerrrang, obviously, but has plenty of high mids in a high gain modern package.

i know some folks don't like the muffled/compressed/blanket tone and feel the amp sometimes has - and i can see that - but if not coming directly off a marshall style amp i just accept the xtc for what niche it fills for me and am very happy with the blue and red.

journeyman73":12505hum said:
i don't know about others - but i really love my red channel for a more modern, articulate high gain channel.

interestingly, i sort of have gravitated to what you are saying - I'm on B1 with the gain around 9 o'clock. mids and treble set a bit higher than bass and i really like it.

its not marshall kerrrang, obviously, but has plenty of high mids in a high gain modern package.

i know some folks don't like the muffled/compressed/blanket tone and feel the amp sometimes has - and i can see that - but if not coming directly off a marshall style amp i just accept the xtc for what niche it fills for me and am very happy with the blue and red.

Im with you 100%

I've been having a horrible time cutting through on solos against my partner with a Line 6 Spider :(

I'll have to try this asap.

"If you're not happy with the Red channel on your XTC....."

Buy some Q-Tips and pull back the gain cuz this is almost akin to saying you're not too happy with having Megan Fox bouncing on yer lap. It's okay, maybe not everyone's cup of tea...but not something one typically beefs about.

I can take the amp off your hands if you'd like - I'm here to help. We can work this out together :D

(pull back the gain, remove the bass, up the mids, B1 is fine, and use that MV!!!)

I just remember all the posts for modding the red channel and thought this might help some xtc owners out there. My thing is with the shared eq of blue and red, sometimes one is left lacking - that's where the bright switch can help along with lowering the gain, which adds to the effect of the bright cap. Everything works together so well on this amp but you have to figure it out. I was an idiot with my first xtc( had about four over the years) thought it needed modding. Not dissing modding it - just saying give it sometime stk - :rock:

Im glad Im not the only one who runs the gain on Red very low, btw 9-10 oclock. Its so organic and toneful.
I dont mind the shared eq. I just tailor the presence controls to match them. To my ears the presence adds more upper mid clarity and bite. I usually run the Red presence higher than Blue.

My 20th XTC EL34 is my fav amp Ive owned. I cant get enough of it! :rock:
That vid Reza posted with the alnico creams has me curious to try them with the XTC.

Back