Helios owners' thread - post your tips, tonal tricks, etc!

napalmdeath

I love my new 50-watter! I do have some issues with it, but I bought it as a demo, and have a new one coming. Just a fluke, but tonally, its the cat's meow!

I've rolled some tubes, and plan to try KT77's, once the new one arrives...

I put an NOS Mullard, Blackburn circa 1958 in V1, and a Tungsol in V2. HOLY SHIT, what a difference! It really came alive, harmonically speaking, and unleashed stupid tight and clear tone. Its an amazing amp, but ditch the JJs in V1 and V2, it really does wake it up.

Anybody else retube? Specifically power??

I havent rolled the tubes in my H100, but I like to use my Mad Professor Underdrive pedal with the Helios. It works great to give me a cleaner clean, and a mid gain crunch tone while Im in the Hot input.
I used to use it with my Friedman Smallbox amp too. Was great with that amp as well.

How good are the Helios cleans? Similar to the plexi cleans of a Marshall Super Lead?

Can the Helios get tonally in the ballpark of the first 50 seconds of this?

Jon BCN":21idgn21 said:
How good are the Helios cleans? Similar to the plexi cleans of a Marshall Super Lead?

Can the Helios get tonally in the ballpark of the first 50 seconds of this?

Wow, that's a killer tone. I think the Helios CAN do that tone, the question is in achieving it would the amp still be set up in a way to get any other usable tones at the foot switch. That was my reason for selling the amp. It sounded killer, but wasn't flexible enough for me.

Back