Anyone using their FX Loop, Rev 2?

maddnotez

Banned
Not sure where to start so here goes with a few points.

MXR 10 band in the loop. I have done this with several amps and it always works wonders. However with my Rev 2, this is not the case it sounds like complete shit.

I let that go because the amp sounds so good I don't really "need" the EQ but now I am building my first pedal board and am having more issues.

I have a Decimator in the loop to tame the hiss and that actually works well however it has an opposite effect vs being in front. Really weird. In front it sucks the tone a little bit but in the loop it actually gives a boost.

I am aware of the channel volume acting as the line level for the loop. My channel volume NEVER gets past 10:00 - 11:00 even at band practice so why does my loop sound like shit and do weird things?

I just got my first Reverb the Hall of Fame. When I first tested the pedal it was in front and it sounded really good. I thought this is awesome, now when I mess with the loop it will be even better!!! I was wrong, it sounds like shit in the loop. It goes from warm and beautiful to bright, thin and harsh.

Now I will say I have had very limited time toying around with the loop and the pedals and I need to experiment more but I wanted to post the thread to ask you guys.

Are you able to use the loop in the rev 2 with success? Is there something I am doing wrong or any secret trick I should know? The amp sounds KILLER I absolutely love my tone and have not been happier but now that I have a use for a board and want to start using some of these effects I am having some bad thoughts about the amp.

maddnotez":ce2vwlf8 said:

MXR 10 band in the loop. I have done this with several amps and it always works wonders. However with my Rev 2, this is not the case it sounds like complete shit.

I let that go because the amp sounds so good I don't really "need" the EQ but now I am building my first pedal board and am having more issues.

I have a Decimator in the loop to tame the hiss and that actually works well however it has an opposite effect vs being in front. Really weird. In front it sucks the tone a little bit but in the loop it actually gives a boost.

I am aware of the channel volume acting as the line level for the loop. My channel volume NEVER gets past 10:00 - 11:00 even at band practice so why does my loop sound like shit and do weird things?

I just got my first Reverb the Hall of Fame. When I first tested the pedal it was in front and it sounded really good. I thought this is awesome, now when I mess with the loop it will be even better!!! I was wrong, it sounds like shit in the loop. It goes from warm and beautiful to bright, thin and harsh.

Now I will say I have had very limited time toying around with the loop and the pedals and I need to experiment more but I wanted to post the thread to ask you guys.

Are you able to use the loop in the rev 2 with success? Is there something I am doing wrong or any secret trick I should know? The amp sounds KILLER I absolutely love my tone and have not been happier but now that I have a use for a board and want to start using some of these effects I am having some bad thoughts about the amp.
Yeah man, I wish I could say the opposite. Both of mine always had extremely dark loops.

Bronco":3qoi0vy4 said:
maddnotez":3qoi0vy4 said:

Yeah man, I wish I could say the opposite. Both of mine always had extremely dark loops.

Do you know if the Rev 2 loop is parallel?

maddnotez":48k9o4bk said:
Bronco":48k9o4bk said:
maddnotez":48k9o4bk said:

I don't...I seem to recall its tube-buffered, but not whether its parallel or series.

Bronco":3kyd1d91 said:
maddnotez":3kyd1d91 said:
Bronco":3kyd1d91 said:
maddnotez":3kyd1d91 said:

I don't...I seem to recall its tube-buffered, but not whether its parallel or series.

I found a FAQ from Bogner stating it is a Series loop.

Maybe it is user error on my end because they also recommend the channel volume at 8:00 which is very low. I have been using it around 10:00 - 11:00 so that is probably making my signal hotter.

Plus I learned there is a "Kill-Dry" switch on the HOF pedal:

"When you activate Kill-dry, the direct signal is removed from the pedal’s output. Use this mode
when you place your TC Electronic effect pedal in a parallel effects loop"

I am not sure where it is set ATM but I am hoping it was on so I can turn it off :)

I will also try messing with the volumes tonight on the amp. I just got a retube so time to test. Previously the amp sounded much better with a low Master and higher channel volume. Hoping that was a tube issue and maybe I can get it sounding just as good with a higher master and lower channel volume.

Edit: The new tubes definitely helped the core tone sound better with the master up and channel down. Still need to find the sweet spot and I'm just so used to the master at 9:00 so it's a little different.

The pedal in the loop however was much better and I think my issue was just running it too hot. Glad they updated to a more efficient loop but wish the Rev 2 had that separate line level.

Back