Bogner Fish Speaker Choice

JMMP

As the title says, all you Fish owners, present and past, what kind of speaker(s) did you run it through? I have a Fish in my possession right now, and find it has a lot of high end above the treble knob that isn't sitting well with my Mesa V30s.

Hey JMMP!

Ive got a fish/vht2150 setup and run it through a bog v30 cab or a traditional marshall 412 with scumbacks m75s. Sounds great and dont have any issues with the high end being over bearing. Not sure if you know or not, but the presence knob on the fish operates backwards. So with its turned all the way off its going to sound its brightest. I think i have mine set at around 2-3O'clock.

hope that helps

Thanks for the response, bhuard!

I have heard that about the presence control, but I am not sure it even affects the frequency I'm hearing. I am using a VHT/Fryette 2/50/2, and it seems the most helpful thing is turning down the presence on the power amp to nearly off, or switching to my rocktron solid state power amp (that thing sounds too good for what it is).

Do you have a preference on which speaker/cab you use, or which tones each cab excels in?

Depends what im in the mood for. I generally use my bogner 412 /v30s with the fish/2150 for hard rock/metal.

Not sure why your fighting with your highs. That fish shiuld sound great with that 252 and v30s.

I have a Fish. Bought it back in '94 I believe.
I used to run it through the 2150. Now I have the Classic 2100.
I used to have those T-75s in a 4-12. Now, I have Greenbacks. Big difference. Way better. Probably the single best thing I ever did for my sound.
That presence control is strange. When you turn it all the way up, the volume drops, and it compresses immensely. But, it doesn't seem to add any high end, maybe a little bit of fissile in the upper mids. If you're looking for a heavier, metal type tone, run the presence all the way clockwise. Compresses. For a bigger, open, less compressed sound, turn it all the way counter clockwise.
I never had an issue with too much treble in the sound. And, I'm not a big treble sound kind of guy. I run the treble at about 9-10 o'clock on the brown channel.
Mine has the mod for the Shark channel, instead of a switch for the dark/bright, it has a knob. More control with it. I don't use the Shark channel too much.
Also, on my power amp, I run the presence and depth knobs all the way off.

Yeah I used to have bhuard's Fish...it's a hell of a preamp for sure. I always played it thru M75s and greenbacks, but it's gonna be hard to make that thing sound bad no matter what you use.

Back