Is the Marvel Mod board still available?

peckhart

From what I am gathering, the Marvel Mod is done with a board people were getting from someone on a forum?
Are they still around and can someone point me in the right direction?

Yeah the deeper I dug I found that. Looks like he and Setback were active in the mods, but neither have been around in some time. Oh well.

i don't think Marvel has any more boards available.

you can build your own. it's simple--only 2 resistors, 2 caps, and one switch. order from Mouser; mount them on a little scrap of perf board. the values should be available online somewhere.

to find Setneck, try the Bogner Amp Forums. they were a ghost town for years, but the old mod and Setneck as a new mod got some activity going there a year or so ago.

The pic is a "Marvel Mod " board I fab'd up for an XTC I owned a while back. Very easy to make.
I can't remember the values off the top of my head, but should be easy to find. I do remember the "Cameron" value cap is usually listed as 1uf, but I liked .68uf better. I kept the resistor values as original. A little less bass and a little more cut with the .68uf.
I used those red WIMA caps, because that's what Bogner used in the rest of the amp, but you could use any brand you like. I don't think there is a lot of voltage here, so 160v cap should be fine.

When you open your amp, if it's a post 2004 XTC, there will already be a cap and resistor over top of R12. just remove that, and connect your board there. The switch with the little board attached mounts in one of the plugged holes in the chassis.

Attachments

• Marvel board.JPG
    Marvel board.JPG
    672.4 KB · Views: 1,165
fusedbrain":2rshr4bc said:
When you open your amp, if it's a post 2004 XTC, there will already be a cap and resistor over top of R12. just remove that, and connect your board there. The switch with the little board attached mounts in one of the plugged holes in the chassis.

Very interesting, I looked at mine when I opened it up to bias it and saw a cap and resistor over R12 and came to the conclusion it had been Cameron modded by a previous owner. It is a 2007. So it's more than likely stock after all.
I traded a 20th Shiva locally for this amp and we decided to trade back so I won't be doing anything to this one. I may ultimately end up back on an XTC. I do like the tone and feel and even Red the way it is.

The boards are not available anymore. The values are:
Post-2004 Factory Mod – 2.7K + 0.22uF
Cameron Mod – 10K + 1uF
Brent Mod – 10K + 0.68uF

Those combos (linked in series) are to be attached in parallel with R12 10K resistor.

Regards, Andy

Back