Fish owners if intrested in a "Cantrell" mod...Update got 1!

EXPcustom

Necro bump!!!! Update!!1 Just go to page 2 to see my bump. It's been almost 10 years. :LOL: :LOL:

If anyone here owns a Fish reissue and is intrested in the Shark channel "Cantrell mod" can you contact Bogner and let them know.

I have tried to contact Bogner to get this mod done and have had no luck so I am hoping if enough people ask we can get it done at one time.

I know the mod consits of removing the toggle and putting in a knob on the Shark channel. You can see this mod on Jerry's Fish preamps in his rack. Other than that I have no idea how its done.

Jerry20Cantrell20Rig.jpg

Update: See my last post I got a 91 with factory Cantrell mod in mint condition will post pics next week.

Sorry EXP

Bogner arent going to do the Jerry Mod. Its a very time consuming process and Reinhold just doesnt have the time right now. I want mine modded to and I bug him about it, hes just really busy finishing up the updated lines from NAMM. :cry:

This is what I am wondering. If there are any "authorized" Bogner service centers why cant Bogner send them the parts and schematics to do the mod?

I am sure a bunch of places would not mind the extra money from modding these and Bogner gets a fee for every unit that is modded...

I wonder if Jerry Cantrell would appreciate it if Bogner didn't just "sell it to EVERYBODY" . . . I mean, that's his identity, to an extent.

That said, I am really looking forward to hearing the AIC album once they get it released. The bits and pieces I've heard over the net from their studio session videos have been sounding very nice. Layne Staley cannot return, but the band sounds very powerful regardless.

-TDA

steve39stripes":2t74w9ff said:
This is the same reason I just sold my reissue Fish. Waiting all this time to get one, just to have to send it right back and wait, to just be told no for the mod. Couldn't Bogner just have added the Cantrell mod with a switch to go from the mod to stock? Would have made the reissue more desirable as well and less hassle for them in the long run. Everyone is asking the same questions. Why release a preamp without the mod when everyone wants it for that sound?? The Fish is famous for that AIC tone.....but does not come stock with it. I loved the Brown channel, but I found the Clean/Country channel to be horrible. The mid could not be turned up at all without destroying the clean tone. Sorry, I was just not happy with 2 of the 4 channels for a close to 3k preamp plus the Shark channel still needing the mod as well.

+1. I'm still using the Fish, if just for the Brown channel. Thinking about selling it. Some guys love it, but I like my CAE 3+ as much, and might pick up a X88 instead. If anyone is really interested in the Fish PM me. ;)

ive done AIC with a 50 watt plexi /jcm 800/ jmp mv/jcm900mkIII. jerry was doing the same thing before they were big time :LOL: :LOL:

As a guy who owns both an original Fish, a reissue and a 3+SE, the new Fish definitely sounds the best to me.

Better clean and gain channels and you can definitely get that AIC tone. Interesting that Cantrell didn't mod his new ones and has said they sound better than his old ones (right Rob?).

Matt

I have an X99, CAE 3+, just sold my SE 3+, Triaxis and the new Fish. (Got my Fish from Rob) Several different power amps. The Shark channel on the Fish is pretty much unusable to me. It's the only channel I have never been able to dial in on something. Just mushy and bass-ey no matter what I do or pair it with. Maybe a bad tube. Maybe my taste. But if anyone is looking for a Fish pm me. Gonna keep the 3+ instead, or ,maybe try a GPR or X88.

I haven't spoken to jerry about his new Fishes. Chris Poland who I did speak to, said he like the reissue better. I like the shark channel, I get it to sound like a cranked plexi but cranking the master and using the balls knob to control the volume. I get a great ACDC crunch

Tone Merchant":26k0b12r said:
I haven't spoken to jerry about his new Fishes. Chris Poland who I did speak to, said he like the reissue better. I like the shark channel, I get it to sound like a cranked plexi but cranking the master and using the balls knob to control the volume. I get a great ACDC crunch

Well, I admit I haven't tried that. But I did just spend about 2 hours working strictly with the Shark channel and my SLO. The SLO just kills it. I am trying to get a heavier sound, which I thought was the point of the Shark channel. I get the AC/DC thing with the Brown, or even the Strato - though for old AC/DC I think the brown works better. Maybe I'll try what you did and see how it works out. I guess with the Brown, Strato and Shark if I try them all for a Plexi vibe I might get the AC/DC, EVH and maybe a ZZ TOPP deal respectively through the 3 different channels. Thanks for the tip!

yeah, Im not sure why its called the shark, but Ive always used it for plexi stuff. the brown for heavy rythm and lead and the strato for a van halen sound

Tone Merchant":1uutby13 said:
yeah, Im not sure why its called the shark, but Ive always used it for plexi stuff. the brown for heavy rythm and lead and the strato for a van halen sound

Yeah, I just read Bogner's site and I was all jacked up. The Shark is more plexi-ish. Strato is the heavy gain. As usual you are the wise one. I will have to play around with this more now. I was trying to get the Shark channel to do something it wasn't designed to do. Still not sure how it will work out, but damn I should read a manual once in a while. :doh:

steve39stripes":29yfr2vx said:
All of these preamps we all still consider the holy grails were all made basically around the same time (91-93) and I really feel are dated tones most of the time or don't have the features that are needed.

I feel Egnater has always been ahead of the curve with midi switching, built-in phantom power, four usable channels with separate EQ, etc. And, that's not even factoring in the revolutionary M4 modular, EIGHT channel preamp.

steve39stripes":1wh9k3vf said:
I really liked the Brown channel and the Strato as well. Problem is, one is a low/mid tone and the other is a high/mid which when sharing the same EQ messed it up for me. The Brown would be set great and when switching to the Strato the tone would have too much high end. Ok I guess if you are using different type guitars. Shark channel did the plexi thing fine.

Definitely agree - way around this a little for me is running through a switching system that runs to different power sections, so a different voicing on either amp helped. With an amp switcher you could easily do this on a stereo power amp, each channel voiced differently - one a little darker to quell those highs. MIDI done through a RG16a with a cable made strictly for the FISH. But I understand that you shouldn't have to come up with work arounds for a 3K preamp.

Heard Bogner was coming up with a power amp that is voiced differently for clean and dirt sections. Might be a solution.

Ultimately my rack is going to have 2 SLOs with different tube compliments for different flavors. Haven't even decided if I am going to need a separate preamp yet. But if I do it also would be able to go into either SLO power section, depending on which tube compliment fit that tone. So, might get good results with the Brown channel say with the 5881s and then KT66s as well, so technically 2 tones there with the same preamp channel and settings. Lots of playing to do to determine whether or not I use a pre, which one if I do, and what's worth hauling to gigs.

Still not sure on the cleans yet, best so far is my CAE 3+. Like it more than the SE 3+. But l would like to try John Suhr's when it comes out too.

All this because I didn't get along with my AXE FX. Oh, well. ;)

As a recording engineer, a musician and general fan of all things that include guitar in the mix, I don't know if I agree with the "dated sounds" comment. To me, there's just good sounds and bad ones.

If a band comes in to record and they sound exactly like Creed, for example, I might think that the songs are pretty passe', but at the same time, even if I don't like a band or their choice of tones, Creed appealed to millions of people . . . so somebody will appreciate them. The music business is BRUTAL. Some of my favorite bands' early material sounds alot like somebody else . . . . guitar tones and all.

We can't all be trend setters . . . . it's usually the people that aren't trying that get to be.

I love this website, by the way. I wish we could all go to lunch sometimes. There's alot that I don't know. Especially about Bogner amps!!

Bogner didnt even want to reissue the Fish. Because if they were going to do a preamp, they wanted to do a new design and ofcoarse they know they can now make a better sounding preamp. Because there was such a huge demand for the original, they decided just to reissue it and maybe do a new preamp down the line. But, I dont think the Fish sounds "dated" to me. Thats like saying the XTC or a Plexi sounds dated. 9 out of every 10 amps I sell at the shop are nothing more than high end copies of originals designed 30 to 50 years ago.

When I help my clients with getting tones for the Fish, I tell them most important controls on the Fish are the Master Volume on the back and the volumes on the front. Because these controls decide the output and saturation of the preamp gain. If u crank the master and dial in the volumes past noon and control the overall volume with the power amp, you will have a very saturated sound with tons of preamp gain. I use a VHT 2150 with the Fish. For a cranked amp sound at decent volumes, i run the VHT at about noon and control the overall volume with the front volume knods. This allows me to have a balance of power amp and preamp gain.

ok Im rambling

Shark Diver. will u bring your rig by the shop already so we can dial it in :rock:

Back