Uberschall settings/tubes thread

leib10

Hey guys,

I searched through the forum, and there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to the settings and tubes you use on your Uberschall (TJ/Rev Blue/Rev 2/Original). The amp has a lot of different attitudes and is a really complex beast; I'm still figuring out my Rev Blue. I really love scooped mids, so here's a sample setting I just discovered:

Master: Noon
Channel Vol: 9 OC
Presence: 9 OC
Treble: 4:30
Middle: Off
Bass: 10:30
Gain: 10:30

I really like dialing the gain back, it's surprising what kind of rhythm tones will come out of it. Anyway, on to tubes. I'm currently running a completely stock tube set (JJ EL34's and Chinese 12AX7's), but I don't really like the fizz and lack of articulation the preamp tubes bring to the table. Here's my ideal combination I've found:

V1: Tungsol
V2: Sovtek LPS
V3: Chinese 9th B
V4: JJ E803s
V5: Tungsol
V6: Tungsol

It really takes the harshness out of the highs while retaining a lot of aggressive lows. I also prefer SED Winged C's in the power section; they don't have as much low end, but also aren't as muddy (but due to recent price increases, I'll probably stick with the JJ's anyway). What are you guys' favorite settings/tubes?

I'm running these:

V1 Tung-Sol RI
V2 Chinese 9th
V3 Chinese 9th
V4 JJ ECC803
V5 Chinese 9th balanced
V6 Chinese 9th balanced

V7-10 JJ E34L

Works for me. Very Happy. :D

Clean channel:
Clean%20Channel.JPG

Gain Channel:
Gain%20Channel%20High%20gain.JPG

leib10":37wtj4bk said:
I see. What advantages do you see using the JJ E34L vs. the EL34?

Well the EL34s that came in my amp were original and well used, so the improvement from the change alone was worth it.

But according to EuroTubes website;

Our observation: This tube has about 20% more head room than the standard EL34 and it also has a deeper, tighter low end. The E34L is also a bit punchier and more aggressive than the standard EL34 which makes it a Great tube for Matchless, Bogner, Carvin, Peavey and all Marshall amps. I have them in one of my old SUNN heads. Incredible sound! The E34L and the JJ KT77 are the only EL34 type tubes that I have found that will stand up to the 700 plus plate volts found in the Musicman HD 130 amps.

I can concur with that. The E34L's seem to have a lot tighter low end and more clarity; the standard EL34's seem to be a bit muddier. I wonder why they don't have the E34L's come stock with Uberschalls...

leib10":25lnpgp7 said:
I can concur with that. The E34L's seem to have a lot tighter low end and more clarity; the standard EL34's seem to be a bit muddier. I wonder why they don't have the E34L's come stock with Uberschalls...
Put in some Gold Lion KT77's and you will be very happy. This guy can match them perfect for the higher PV www.tctubes.com Tyler is awesome to deal with.

I'm sure they're great, but I can't justify buying a matched quad of those when I can buy 3 sets of JJ's for the same price! :)

leib10":2t90vxho said:

Come to think of it, I remember Charlie saying that the reason they like the regular EL34's for Uberschalls is that they having the most bottom end, which is certainly true. I just don't like the type of bottom end that they have.

So I guess the next question is... how do you run your bias on your Uberschall? When I got mine back a few weeks ago, Bogner had it set at about 32mA (+-2 mA per tube, allowing for tolerances), so I guess you could consider that stock). I prefer to run mine a bit hotter, about 32-34 mA. I feel it tightens the amp up and brings out more of the top end without it being muddy. What about you guys?

leib10":wuxo4k0h said:
I'm sure they're great, but I can't justify buying a matched quad of those when I can buy 3 sets of JJ's for the same price! :)
These have an amazing bottom and top with complex mids. Tyler warranties the tubes for 90 days I believe and if you have one that drifts or is noisy, etc., He will replace it. IMO these are much better than the SED 34's. Something about the way these sound in a Bogner with the higher plate and screen voltages. Very punchy with the notes jumping out at you. They also handle much higer voltage and current than an EL34. Crank the volumes and they take all you can throw at them. The EL34's get mushy.

Maybe someday, when I'm not a poor college student who probably shouldn't own an Uberschall in the first place. :)

leib10":1o1x4o28 said:

JJE34L's did come stock in Rev 2 Uber's around 2004, ARS labeled JJ/Tesla's...it's always changing though due to any myriad of factors many having nothing to do with tone.

glip22":364q124g said:
leib10":364q124g said:
These have an amazing bottom and top with complex mids. Tyler warranties the tubes for 90 days I believe and if you have one that drifts or is noisy, etc., He will replace it. IMO these are much better than the SED 34's. Something about the way these sound in a Bogner with the higher plate and screen voltages. Very punchy with the notes jumping out at you. They also handle much higer voltage and current than an EL34. Crank the volumes and they take all you can throw at them. The EL34's get mushy.

Does the KT77's improve the clean too?

If you keep the master volume for both channels on full all of the time and get your individual channel masters to control the output volumes, you will find that the sound becomes more open, less fizzy and more bass heavy. It is a definite improvement concerning the amount of scratchiness and fizziness.

Back