20th Anniversary Ecstasy Settings

TheMagicEight

Just curious how everyone is setting their Ecstasy up. Which cab, speakers, guitar, etc.

Attached a pic showing mine. B2 for all channels, NEW mode, T excursion, and 3:00 on the masters.

Bogner 4x12 with 65w Scumback M75s and the cab insulation removed. Planning on moving to two Bogner 4x12s side by side with all 25w M75s!

Guitars are Gibson R9 with WCR Darkburst neck and Godwood bridge, and Fender '56 RI Strat. My settings - incredibly - don't have to change at all from one guitar to the other!

Has anyone played around with power tubes? I'm actually liking the stock JJ EL34s in there now, but am curious about the Ruby EL34-BHT and - of course - SED =C= EL34s.

Attachments

• 2011 03-11 XTC Settings.jpg
    2011 03-11 XTC Settings.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 2,487
:inlove: GORGEOUS rig man!! I love me some 20thA XTC...!!

I run mine through the stock V30 loaded 20thA cabinet. I've been chatting with Jim of Scumback about getting a bit more of a juicier set up in there, maybe X patterned with some of his speakers while keeping two of the V30's for the mid honk love.

As for tubes, the stock have served me VERY well, but I took the plunge today (I've had my rig for almost a year) and bought a matched quad of Gold Lion KT77's. I understand from a number of 20thX members here that it's just tits with this head - so I decided to see what they'll do. NOT to say I am dissin' this amp - impossible. I'm a mondo fan of this do-all rig!! I'll let you know how the KT77's sound though...

As for settings, man, I spent a good few days just going through each channel, tweaking, messing with the toggle switches on the front, etc. It took about 20 hours to figure the amp out, and from there, it just started getting better and better. I bought mine with the A/AB switch, and that's another level altogether. Half power, vintage/new, shit man - it'd be a small essay for me to share my settings with you... Main thing is, I hope you find the same - I couldn't NOT make it sound good. And that still goes for today :yes:

Overall though, full power, AB, excursion is loose at low volumes, tighter at higher volume, B1 on Blue and Red, B2 on Green (if my memory serves me correct), I toggle between Vintage and Modern pending on the style, and this also comes with B2 on the Blue and Red. I keep boost off on the face so I can use the stomp for this. And from there, it's salt and pepper to taste... Everything on this amp is incredible.

I am certain you are finding this out yourself :D

Congrats - I know how happy I was when mine arrived, and man, it's STILL making me smile to this day. GOBS of tasty, amazing tone...and SO much versatility. 100% winner!!

Peace,
Mo

I'm curious about the KT77s myself; that is, until I turn my amp on and start playing! :LOL: :LOL:

I've got two identical Bogner 4x12s at the moment, one with Mesa V30s and the other with M75s as mentioned. The V30s are a touch stiffer, but not as sweet sounding. They sound great - and mind you, mine are 8ohm instead of 16; dunno what difference that makes - but the M75s have more depth and more absolutely balls to the wall roar! :rock:

Yeah, it's tough to make this amp sound bad. I haven't found much of a use for "N" brightness yet, but B1 and B2 are fantastic depending on application. I'm still loving this amp as much as the day I got it though! To me, it's perfection, and every time I plug into it - paired with the M75s - I'm amazed with what I'm hearing!

TheMagicEight":xv9utceo said:
I'm curious about the KT77s myself; that is, until I turn my amp on and start playing! :LOL: :LOL:

I've got two identical Bogner 4x12s at the moment, one with Mesa V30s and the other with M75s as mentioned. The V30s are a touch stiffer, but not as sweet sounding. They sound great - and mind you, mine are 8ohm instead of 16; dunno what difference that makes - but the M75s have more depth and more absolutely balls to the wall roar! :rock:

Yeah, it's tough to make this amp sound bad. I haven't found much of a use for "N" brightness yet, but B1 and B2 are fantastic depending on application. I'm still loving this amp as much as the day I got it though! To me, it's perfection, and every time I plug into it - paired with the M75s - I'm amazed with what I'm hearing!
So you have a 4x12 loaded exclusively with M75's?? Interesting... I'm thinking, as mentioned, of pairing my V30's in an X pattern with either the M75's or J75's. How's the bass with the M75's??

Interesting... I wanna get in on some Scum :D

Peace,
V. :salute:

Ventura":agmoyurr said:
So you have a 4x12 loaded exclusively with M75's?? Interesting... I'm thinking, as mentioned, of pairing my V30's in an X pattern with either the M75's or J75's. How's the bass with the M75's??

Peace,
The bass isn't huge, but it's got depth. Definitely softer than the J75s of V30s, but not flubby or lifeless. If you like a good amount of bass in your tone, I'd look elsewhere. I prefer massive and complex mids with some sweet sounding highs, so these speakers are perfect!

TheMagicEight":20ztbjj3 said:
Ventura":20ztbjj3 said:

Peace,
The bass isn't huge, but it's got depth. Definitely softer than the J75s of V30s, but not flubby or lifeless. If you like a good amount of bass in your tone, I'd look elsewhere. I prefer massive and complex mids with some sweet sounding highs, so these speakers are perfect!
Well I added an H75 to my M75 in my Port City OS 2x12, and that is one killer combo right there; def added more low end and all around fullness...Bogners especially seem to work great in that config, either with the Uber or the Fish -- you can't go wrong with that mix.

Bronco":10yp67vq said:
TheMagicEight":10yp67vq said:
Ventura":10yp67vq said:

Peace,
Well I added an H75 to my M75 in my Port City OS 2x12, and that is one killer combo right there; def added more low end and all around fullness...Bogners especially seem to work great in that config, either with the Uber or the Fish -- you can't go wrong with that mix.
Thanks Gents...

What I'm finding is that the 20thA XTC digs the V30's, but that midspike does get in there sometimes, kinda messes up the EQ and it's always volume dependent. I thought by getting 2 other drivers in there, I might be able to tame that nasally honk with some smoother mids, but I do NOT want to sacrifice any of the lowend. If anything, I want more... I love the oversized 4x12 cab loaded with V30's for this very reason - the bass is huge. But again, that nasally midspike scratch bugs the shit out of me. I can EQ it out when the volume's up, but then have to re-EQ when the volumes down. Honestly, I think I should just crank the fuck out of this rig and play it straight for a week on full haul and see if that doesn't "adjust" the speakers somewhat.

It'll certainly 'adjust' the neighborhood if nothing else :LOL: :LOL:

Mo

Ventura":33jzj1mc said:
What I'm finding is that the 20thA XTC digs the V30's, but that midspike does get in there sometimes, kinda messes up the EQ and it's always volume dependent. I thought by getting 2 other drivers in there, I might be able to tame that nasally honk with some smoother mids, but I do NOT want to sacrifice any of the lowend. If anything, I want more...
Sounds like the J75s would suite you well! They sounded like greenbacks (M75s) with a tighter bottom and slightly more treble paired to my 20th. They're excellent speakers and make V30s sound flat and lifeless in comparison, IMO. And the midrange? Huge, fat and stunning!

At the end of the day I preferred the M75s by a hair (I don't like much bass in my tone), but down the road when I can have a few extra cabs laying around, I might be picking up some more....

I think the 20thA would sound amazing through practically anything.

In the perfect Nigel Tufnel sense, just LOOKING at it sounds phenomenal :LOL: :LOL:

V.

How do you guys balance the master volume (on the back of the amp) when using the loop in series? I find that if I have the individual volumes for each channel low (around nine o Clock) and use the master on the back, the amp is really muddy and indistinct.
It's a fine balance I find...

Back