New Wizard Owner

bbaug14

Played the new Wizard MCII at practice last night for the first time. Man did it sound AWESOME. Just cut through the mix extremely well. I don't do any metal and not a ton of hard rock so I live mostly on the Rhythm channel. Gain at about 6 for an edge of break up tone was perfect for me.

One thing I noticed while playing was that I really do only utilize the Rhythm channel. Well, at least I could get by with just that channel. I wonder what the difference tonally is between the MC vs the MCII on that channel and also what the VC sounds like.

It was definitely a lot of fun to play last night. Nailing my AC/DC tones. Can't wait to try at a show this weekend.

I have not played a two yet... can you boost the rhythm channel on the II like you can the I? Unboosted my version I rhythm channel is nice and clean punchy and loud plexi style clean. When I pull the boost it gets that early ac/dc tone as you turn up the volume. My guess is the II would allow you to get that tone at lower volumes since you can control the gain level of that channel, whereas the I is at a preset gain level that is supposed to be taken from the vintage classic.

On the II you can boost the gain on the rhythm channel. You can easily get AC/DC tones on the II not boosted though. To me the gain is more early AC/DC without the boost and more Back In Black with it.

I own a MC from 2013 and a MCII from 2014. The rhythm channel on the MCII is more versatile, it also has a bit more gain.. i found it has a little bit more bite to it also. The MC it just a non MV, but also has the boost... tonewise they are identical.

For stuff i like, thin lizzy for instance, the rhythm channel on the MCII works best. The MC is also super great.. but it's better as a true clean channel IMO.

LP Freak":1kg9h50o said:
So with the gain maxed on the rhythm channel where does it get you?
It has a lot of gain but not compressed high gain. The amp holds together so well
making it seem like theres not as much as there is.
The voicing makes up for any needed gain.
Cleans up nicely at pots and takes boosts like a champ.
Dude the MCII is so good that if I want to play another amp
I best not play it after the MCII if I want to keep the amp.
Dude Wizards :rock: :thumbsup:

Jay Strange":5xkwc8te said:
LP Freak":5xkwc8te said:
So with the gain maxed on the rhythm channel where does it get you?
It has a lot of gain but not compressed high gain. The amp holds together so well
making it seem like theres not as much as there is.
The voicing makes up for any needed gain.
Cleans up nicely at pots and takes boosts like a champ.
Dude the MCII is so good that if I want to play another amp
I best not play it after the MCII if I want to keep the amp.
Dude Wizards :rock: :thumbsup:
:LOL: :LOL: This has really screwed me up. I have not put another amp next to it that it doesn't stomp on. Without the Wizard I would think the other amp was really cool but then I go to the Wizard and it's like a big ass boot

With the boost on it has more gain than a JCM800. I run mine with the gain at around 6.5. Without the boost I get the early AC/DC tone no problem. Engaged boost and it's Back In Black but with a touch more gain. Works fantastic. I really don't even need the lead channel. LOL!

bbaug14":2woc65kw said:
With the boost on it has more gain than a JCM800. I run mine with the gain at around 6.5. Without the boost I get the early AC/DC tone no problem. Engaged boost and it's Back In Black but with a touch more gain. Works fantastic. I really don't even need the lead channel. LOL!
Sounds like spending up for the MCII really paid off for you :rock: :rock:

It truly is the best Marshall style amp I've played and I've played a lot of them. People may like something else better, but you'll never hear someone say something negative about a Wizard (except maybe the price ).

bbaug14":os0dbiql said:
It truly is the best Marshall style amp I've played and I've played a lot of them. People may like something else better, but you'll never hear someone say something negative about a Wizard (except maybe the price ).

The biggest complaint about Wizards is they are LOUD.
My master in the MCII works as good as any other master out there BUT
It turns into a Dragonraper with some juice.
I LIKE it loud :rock:

I run mine with a Rockcrusher and it works great. It's almost like a global master. -3dB for shows and -8dB for practice. No complaints with that set up.

The only thing I have quite figured out yet is what tube to use in the Loop position such that there is no tone change with the loop engaged. Right now I get a little bit of mud with the loop on. I need to experiment with it. The stock JJ added too much warmth.

I did initially. Keep in mind that one of the pedals I use in the loop doesn't have a whole lot of headroom and I run 25' cables to and from, so finding the right set up was probably more difficult for me than others. I put a 12AY7 in the FX loop spot and now my loop sounds perfect for my needs.

I'm not a fan of loops in general as every amp I've ever owned (boutique or otherwise) has had some tonal change and never for the better, but the Wizard loop is as good as any any I've tried and at volume the change is almost unnoticed.

Back