MTL copping MCII tones?

narad

Quick question to those with experience in both. I don't think I've heard a single MTL demo that didn't go almost immediately from chimey clean to super aggressive fizzy distortion. There aren't so many MTL demos though.

On the other hand, there's plenty of MCII demos like this one:

Fantastic! Can the MTL dial in these not-so-heavy, bluesy, very Zeppelin plexi/JTM sounds? I mean, how different could the amps really be?

I had both, still have the MTL, the 2016 MTL can cop any and all of the MC2 tones that I wanted to hear, but more versatile with scoop and depth. I can't make mine sound fizzy in the way I hear fizzy (dual rec or ENGL).

Interesting -- any experience with the earlier MTLs? I haven't been able to figure out the changes made in the 2016 revision and whether they were actually important or just moving stuff between the front and back panel.

I have a 2016 MTL. Im not a metal player. I go for classic and heavy tones, but not super aggressive. More like Zep/Sabbath tones. I get all that and more from the MTL. I can also get those exact tones in that video posted above. I don't have an MCii for comparison, but the MTL is super flexible. From what Ive read they aren't worlds apart, tone wise. But I chose the MTL for the extra features it had, which I find very useful. Like the depth, saturation, and shift.

For my rhythm channel, I mostly set it very clean and use a tiny bit of overdrive to dirty it up. Or sometimes I set it dirty with the boost (which also sounds amazing) and use the guitar volume to clean it up. Depends on what the song needs. The key is to balance everything with the bright knobs for each channel.

Wizards are very powerful animals, and like most 100 watt beasts you need to have a little bit of volume so youre not hearing just the preamp. Wizards are NOT fizzy amps. They are super clear and uncompressed.

First time posting here for a while.. :)

Anyways.. i'v had the privilege of trying out a 2016 MCii and a 2016 MTL in total comparison.
To me, they were not worlds apart, with that Wizard signature. the MTL definitely had more low-mids to its signature and more robust and dense sounding, while the MCII was more dynamic and "spanky" and wild. I really don't feel the MTL can do MCII tones to the same degree, but "close", while the MCII also can't really do MTL tones. Both amps are SUPER tweakable with a very hifi EQ knobs.

I found that I could get a quite aggressive tone out of the MCII, dialing the "bright" knob down a bit "use your ears" and adding presence and contour up. Sounded awesome and cuts like hell.

The MTL is fatter sounding, and quite IMO superior "modded Marshall++".. even more so that the MCII. Why? cause it's very clear with great mids, but more playable like the usual modded Marshall ".... Folkesson, Friedman bla bla bla...." However SUPER tight.

Both of them are fantastic amps. If you play anything close to metal, get the MTL.... but if you get an MCII you can totally get by in metal, but I felt it was more geared towards rock and spanking music with open chords.

I like the 2016 -> MTL the most. Just suits me great, playing in a true oldschool real metal sounding band.

I have no idea or interest in the sound of the typical popular metal bands of the 90's and 00's. (Bands wearing masks, bodystocking, long noses etc. fuck that) - Or even tuning down thinking playing EEEEEE all the time sound brutal. piss off.

Tuning half a step down here.. and I like the MTL for adding the fatness I need while having a superior cut to the regular JCM800,

Jofipe":3o4njanf said:
First time posting here for a while.. :)

Anyways.. i'v had the privilege of trying out a 2016 MCii and a 2016 MTL in total comparison.
To me, they were not worlds apart, with that Wizard signature. the MTL definitely had more low-mids to its signature and more robust and dense sounding, while the MCII was more dynamic and "spanky" and wild. I really don't feel the MTL can do MCII tones to the same degree, but "close", while the MCII also can't really do MTL tones. Both amps are SUPER tweakable with a very hifi EQ knobs.

I found that I could get a quite aggressive tone out of the MCII, dialing the "bright" knob down a bit "use your ears" and adding presence and contour up. Sounded awesome and cuts like hell.

The MTL is fatter sounding, and quite IMO superior "modded Marshall++".. even more so that the MCII. Why? cause it's very clear with great mids, but more playable like the usual modded Marshall ".... Folkesson, Friedman bla bla bla...." However SUPER tight.

Both of them are fantastic amps. If you play anything close to metal, get the MTL.... but if you get an MCII you can totally get by in metal, but I felt it was more geared towards rock and spanking music with open chords.

I like the 2016 -> MTL the most. Just suits me great, playing in a true oldschool real metal sounding band.

I have no idea or interest in the sound of the typical popular metal bands of the 90's and 00's. (Bands wearing masks, bodystocking, long noses etc. fuck that) - Or even tuning down thinking playing EEEEEE all the time sound brutal. piss off.

Tuning half a step down here.. and I like the MTL for adding the fatness I need while having a superior cut to the regular JCM800,

Thanks for this post! Helps me as well!

Theres quite a bit of different revisions and variation in the Wizard amps. The MTL alone saw 3 revisions prior to 2016. After 2016 the amps are revised and not just a little bit.

fuzzyguitars":3kz7e8q0 said:
mine are both early 2017

what revisions?
MTL had three revisions before 2016. Rick told me this. I am not sure if the 2016 was changed any in 2017 but my 2017 is better than my 2016 was. I don't have a newer MCII although I owned two of them. I have an earlier MCI that was updated in 2016 with better grounding, etc. My MTL can't get the tone of my MCI. It is it's own tone with the Wizard core.

Back