96 Modern Classic

sjk

Banned
There is one of these on reverb but the guy does not even say whether it's 50 or 100 W, how are the 20 year old versions of these. I'm not looking for really much gain compared to what you could get out of newer MCII, old VH levels of gain maybe a little more than that once in awhile. Any one got any thoughts on these older ones or owned one or know much about them. I've got Wizard gas bad and am half tempted to buy a new one whenever Vintage King gets there shipment in but would hate to lose my ass on resale if it doesn't do it for me :LOL: :LOL:

https://reverb.com/item/1883167-wizard-modern-classic

That's me who's selling it and it's 100 watts sorry for not specifying. It's also the loudest amp I've ever tried. Louder than even the 300 watt verellen meat smoke I tried once! I haven't tried the newer ones but this has a similar amount of gain on tap to something like a jcm 800. Feel free to ask any other questions you have

So do these older ones have a pull boost for diode clipping or is it all tube gain?

sjk":2m761s53 said:
So do these older ones have a pull boost for diode clipping or is it all tube gain?
There's a pull boost for the rhythm/clean channel that takes it from a clean sound to plexi sound that still though has to be turned up to distort like an actual plexi, but the gain channel has no boost

braintheory":rojkp9p4 said:
sjk":rojkp9p4 said:
There's a pull boost for the rhythm/clean channel that takes it from a clean sound to plexi sound that still though has to be turned up to distort like an actual plexi, but the gain channel has no boost

So when you crank the rythym channel does it do a pretty good plexi, and does the lead do the plexi thing as well?

sjk":9s66iqfk said:
braintheory":9s66iqfk said:
sjk":9s66iqfk said:

So when you crank the rythym channel does it do a pretty good plexi, and does the lead do the plexi thing as well?
Yes the rhythm channel pulled at loud volumes is very much a plexi type sound. The lead channel takes off from there and is gainier and also beefier sounding. The lead channel has a huge bottom end and moves lots of air and really shakes the room

Back