TUBE order in Wizard MTL

steve_k

V1 - Input
V2 - Rhythm gain
V3 - Lead gain
V4 - Lead boost / FX send
V5 - FX return
V6 - PI

Hey Reza, don't forget to post the results of the tube rolling.
Just scored an MTL, and I'm thinking about rolling some tubes as well.
Curious what your findings are.

I just put SED =C= in my MTL. Preamp has RFT in v1 and Chinese HG in v2-v6. I like it a lot, though I'm not sure it's that much better than it was with the JJs. I guess based on Steve's post, I'm gonna try an RFT tube in v3 and see what that does

Rick told me that, all else being equal, he likes the JJs best in his amps.

mhenson42":2lvz4qcj said:
I just put SED =C= in my MTL. Preamp has RFT in v1 and Chinese HG in v2-v6. I like it a lot, though I'm not sure it's that much better than it was with the JJs. I guess based on Steve's post, I'm gonna try an RFT tube in v3 and see what that does

Rick told me that, all else being equal, he likes the JJs best in his amps.

Yeah, I've heard that about Rick & the JJ's. I've got at least 1 RFT in the tube drawer and a bunch of the Chinese HG's, so I'll have to give that a shot.
I'd also like to try something other than the JJ E34L's in the power amp, but I'm worried about the plate voltage (515vdc in my amp ).
The =C='s should handle it no problem, and I think I may have a quad of them to try as well .
I was also thinking about trying JJ KT77's. The JJ KT77's will take 800vdc on both the plates and screens according to the data sheet, and they've been pretty reliable in my 101B, which also has the sky high plate voltage going on.
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

OK, here's where I'm at so far...
Ruby 12ax7ACZ HG from Valve Queen in V1
NOS RFT from the Tubestore in V3
Sovtek 12ax7LPS matched and balanced from the Tubestore in the PI ( V5 ).

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Didn't dig the RFT in V1. It was OK, but it didn't have the gain the Ruby ACZ has. Too polite, for lack of a better description.
Could be that particular RFT. I only have 1, so I'll roll with it the way it is for now. It sounds killer in V3 though.
The rest of the preamp is still the JJ's that were in it when I got it.

Had to stop there 'cause the wife wants to go out for dinner.
Gonna do V2 for the rhythm channel & V4 next, then the power tubes. My amp doesn't have a loop, only 5 pre's.

And I found the quad of =C='s I thought I had...........In the MCII :LOL: :LOL:
Def gonna try em in the MTL
More later...

I like the kt77s in my MCII and MTL. Can't put my finger on exactly what's different than the E34Ls other than it feels a little more alive.

Good to know!
I'm done with the preamp. All Ruby CZ hg (JJ's) except the RFT in V3 and the LPS in the PI. Tried a bunch of other stuff but kept comming back to this. Going to roll the KT77's and also try the =C= quad from the mcii in the MTL. Kinda hoping I don't dig em in the MTL, cause I don't have any more quads, and they are getting pricey now. They do sound great in the mcii though. Well see.....

Back