if you had a guitar playing this basic progression

C chord, F chord, G Chord over and over again

which scales would work all the time ?

veji":35ygf5qb said:
I'm new to soloing.
if you had a guitar playing this basic progression

C chord, F chord, G Chord over and over again

which scales would work all the time ?
C major scale and its modes for each of the chords. C=Ionian mode F=Lydian G=Mixolydian. A I IV V progression in C.

Play using the C major scale all the time and concentrate on each of the chord tones as the chords change...when playing over C work you melodys in between the chord tones of the C chord which are C E G....for F they are F A C and for G they are G B D. Those are your chord tones and therefore the notes you want to finish your solo lines with. They are ALL in the C major scale. Its as easy as that :thumbsup:

You HAVE to get this down before you move on...then you will be able to get more advanced but not until then. There is all kinds of info explaining this in previous posts from me and others explaining in more detail. Good luck!

Absolutely agree with comments above but I would ask "how new to solos are you"?

If you're an absolute beginner I would recommend starting with a C major pentatonic (c,d,e,g,a,c) as you can't go wrong with this scale, and it flows easily on the guitar.

flash6969":zxyu8ji9 said:
Absolutely agree with comments above but I would ask "how new to solos are you"?

If you're an absolute beginner I would recommend starting with a C major pentatonic (c,d,e,g,a,c) as you can't go wrong with this scale, and it flows easily on the guitar.

+1

I think one of the most useful things you can do is learn the modes of C major and the associated chords and modes which go over it.

In order C major, D minor/dorian, E minor/phrygian, F major/lydian, G major/mixolydian, A minor/aeolian, B diminished/locrian.

Once you learn these relationships you can transpose to any key

Back