Solo and # of bars questions

LLEADD

I know a lot of people here gig, just wondering when you're soloing (note for note or improv) are you aware of where you are in terms of which bar you're at? It's quite easy if it's a distinctive chord progression, you can map out that the solo is the chord progression x2 or x4 etc. So then you know you're on the 2nd pass.

However some solo sections are long and perhaps over a riff that could have 8, 12, 16 or more repetitions.
It's hard to describe, I'm you know what I'm talking about, just curious how aware you are of the backing track so to speak.
Especially when you're also focused on your own feel, technique, groove or whatever ever else.

You should be using your ears and feeling out these things. I have noticed some players don't listen to whats going on around them which is the main problem.

Also think about breaking your solo down into development stages. Something like:
First 4 bars - start low & slow
Next 4 bars - repeat your themes started with some variation
Next 4 bars - develop themes as you go higher & faster
Last 4 bars - build with a rising run & finish on a high note

Something like this means you won't get lost at bar 13 as you aren't trying to count 16 bars.

flash6969":20tv0v80 said:
Also think about breaking your solo down into development stages. Something like:
First 4 bars - start low & slow
Next 4 bars - repeat your themes started with some variation
Next 4 bars - develop themes as you go higher & faster
Last 4 bars - build with a rising run & finish on a high note

Something like this means you won't get lost at bar 13 as you aren't trying to count 16 bars.

Good point. Easier to stay on course with 4 bars.

You can have other musicians put in cues that you can follow. These can be drum rolls, bass runs, maybe even have the vocalist count and say "yeah!" after 8 bars :D

ace_operations":390iaiie said:
You can have other musicians put in cues that you can follow. These can be drum rolls, bass runs, maybe even have the vocalist count and say "yeah!" after 8 bars :D

That's a good tip. I've done it a few times where I asked the drummer to throw in something. I wonder if it's a good practice to know yourself by getting good at being aware of everything.

Nick Morris":3f0gcq7e said:
You should be using your ears and feeling out these things. I have noticed some players don't listen to whats going on around them which is the main problem.

This.

Back