Triads, why didnt i do this 15 years a go

shadow070

Ive been playing guitar for 15 or 17 years.
I always hated doing Theory :thumbsdown:
I started with learning power chords and the Gmajor scale.
After a while i learned the 7th chords and i could play the major scale anywhere on the fretboard, also all the modes.

Now still struggling with chords ofton, wanting to use the minor scales and the chords its a mess im in.
I just started to go back to basics and started with triads.

Do you guys have any tips for me? :scared:

My take on how to do the triads is:
1. knowing the diagrams
2. Knowing what the root, third and fifth is of the triad im playing
3. speling the notes im playing

Am i missing anything? :confused:

Why i ask this is, im taking the time to learn all off this and want to do this correct at last. I dont know all the notes on the fretboard so i guess triads will also help with this.

I ofton post backing tracks here on the forum. I started making backing tracks while i was learning chords, formulas etc. and wanted to try them out. Now i want to start to spice things up using the minor scales.
Well to learn the minor scales is easy but i know that knowing what ill be doing is something different :LOL: :LOL:

I have found a couple of other things useful as well.

1. Inversions
2. Chord scales (Major scale using triads rather than single notes). Can do this moving up the neck or in a position.

You should learn all the notes on the fretboard.

Have you not already learned the minor scale in the process of learning the major scale? Or are you thinking of the different intervals from the route note?

Learn the CAGED-box system with also noting the 1st, 3rd 5th and 6th notes. Learn how each of these positions interconnect which then more or less make the three notes per string positions almost self evident, just an application of the CAGED. Practice zooming out from the fretboard noticing that diamond and Z-shape and practice "the higher resolution" counterpart with identifying individual notes at any specific position on the fretboard.

mess with how the chord is voiced as well. you can mess with inversions too. always more than one way to play a chord that will mix it up.

Very cool when should i start lesrning this, i know my basic chords i think it will help me

You Tube has been my best teacher since I dropped out of Music Theory class in H.S. some 27 years ago...lol

Back