Help!, my new Luxxtone has a case of Shuxxtune!!

LanierP

I love everything about this guitar, but it just won't stay in tune man. I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot here. If u look at the pix, the angle from nut to string tree to tuners is the most severe I've ever seen on a guitar. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm this close to putting a Floyd on this thing but I wish there were something I can do first. For a guitar at this price point, I expected a bit more stability. I just look at the whammy and it goes out. It's really bad dudes. Discouraged here
Len

I would contact Jerry on this issue. That is a steep angle on the strings though. What kind of nut does it have? Did you change string gauge? Do you have locking tuners?

I did lighten the string gauge to 9's from 10's. Made a slight neck adjustment to compensate. (I know what I'm doing here). It has a bone nut. I tried backing off the spring tension a tad as it seemed the trem was hard down on the boarder and bar semi hard to depress. Tried pencil lead shavings in the nutslots. Tried raising the tree height. Tried taking the strings out of the trees, but the low E rides so high when u do this, it doesn' make contact in the bottom of the nutslot. I hear no noises or "chinks" when depressing the bar that indicate snagging or catching taking place. This is bad. I'm out of ideas. Basically, I'm at paper weight stage with this guitar unless I can fix this. It's unplayable

Well the nut is the only thing I could think of. I assume you bought it used? I would send it back either way, but contacting Jerry would be your best bet. I am glad I got a Floyd on my Luxxtone. Pain in the ass to deal with, but stays in tune.

jerry@luxxtone.com

(818) 445-6172

I'll give it thru the weekend and if he doesn't chime in with a solution, I'll call on Monday and see about sending it in. Needless to say, bummed dude!

I think we are onto something with the nut. Took a razor blade and shaved off a pile of lead about a half inch deep, almost the whole pencil. I crammed each nut slot till I had a little mini mountain of the stuff in each slot. Put the strings back in and we are definitely moving in the right direction here. Much much better,,, not perfect; the low I still goes sharp a tad, but all other strings are stable now. This has got to be it. I may have the slots ever so slightly redone to make sure they are smith as glass, and then repeat the pound of pencil lead technique. This guitar sound like a fire breathing dragon and is just quality all the way. Feeling better about this now. Thanks for the tips dudes.
Rock on

Its probably the nut, best thing to do is get some Big Bends Nut Sauce and put a bit in the slots, works much better than pencil shavings. And make sure the nut is slotted correctly. All the guitars leave the shop staying in tune perfectly, but this guitar is used and was first sold almost 2 years ago. So I'm not sure what's happened to it since then, but I am sure it's a set up / nut issue. If you have any problems with it, I would gladly make any adjustments/repairs to it for free, even though it's used. You would just need to pay the shipping charges. But it's more likely just the nut needs some work.

You can also buy a tube of Super Lube, that's what we use at the shop and it works great and the tube will literally last you years.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3 ... /202932687

Thank you very much for responding. I will do as advised and keep you posted. It is a fantastic guitar and I want very badly for this to be my goto axe. Much appreciated.

LanierP":rirr6uuj said:
Thank you very much for responding. I will do as advised and keep you posted. It is a fantastic guitar and I want very badly for this to be my goto axe. Much appreciated.

No problem, glad to help! PM me your contact info when you get a chance.

I know a bone nut is cool, but if push comes to shove, you could try replacing the nut with a graphtech nut and see if that helps any. That string angle with the trees is at a pretty severe angle... you could try puttin a small nylon bushing and raise them up a tad and help relieve the pressure/friction.

Back