What is the best mic configuration?

rkellerhals

I'm using Wall of Sound III, and its incredible for allowing users the freedom to put mics where they want, combine cabinets, etc. Recently toughly, I've been feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed with the choices—using different mics, positions, distances, panning, volume—and wondering if all of my choices are doing more harm than good. So does anyone have any presets or suggestions for the best mic positions, combinations, distances, etc. Is there like a default setting—let's just say for right now using just one cabinet—that would be a starting point for a great sound? And just the mic positions, mic combinations, and distances... Forget exciters, EQ, and compressors for now.

It'll depend on what kind of tones you're going for, but if you're talking hard rock or metal a good place to start is an sm57 on a v30 cab (I like ractofire) with distance - 0-1%, axis - 3%. With a greenback cab (I like BoGreen) a 57 with distance - 0-1%, axis - 2%. I'll have the overload anywhere from 5-12% usually. Once you really get it down with one mic & cab then I'd recommend adding a second one if you want.

Back