Questions regarding Torpedo Live.

kaloskalos

Hello all, I have 3 specific questions regarding the Two Notes Torpedo Live and I hope someone can answer them!

1. None of the videos I have watched show someone using the Effects Loop of their amp with pedals like delay/reverb.
I run pedals both in front of the amp, and in the effects loop of my amp. Is it possible to do this and will it sound correct going thru the Torpedo Live?

2. I hear the loadbox works up to 100watts, but I have a 120watt head (Peavy 6505+) Will I be at risk of damaging the Torpedo Live or will it just operate up to its 100watt max even with 120 watt heads just fine?

3. My Audio Interface is a Focusrite 2i2. I'm not exactly tech savvy so I'm not sure if it will work well with this interface. It only has 2 inputs and both are powered no? So I'm not sure how that would work will all this signal (from amp to> Torpedo Live to> Audio Interface without being too much gain? Would I just adjust the volume as if its a Microphone being placed into the Input?

Thank you!
I am very interested in the Torpedo Live, I just want to make absolutely sure it will mesh with my setup.

I used a USB Focusrite Saffire. I had no problems. I change the Focusrite Saffire by 6i6. I did it because the Saffire had conflicts with the bandwidth usb, as the saffirre used much. But I had no problems using it only with Torpedo Live. If focusrite 2i2 not fed with USB you will not have this problem.

Greetings!

kaloskalos":2jnjvdbt said:
3. My Audio Interface is a Focusrite 2i2. I'm not exactly tech savvy so I'm not sure if it will work well with this interface. It only has 2 inputs and both are powered no? So I'm not sure how that would work will all this signal (from amp to> Torpedo Live to> Audio Interface without being too much gain? Would I just adjust the volume as if its a Microphone being placed into the Input?

I can't answer your first two questions and can't really answer #3 either, but for FWIW I run a Torpedo Live into a focusrite 6i6 as you described above without any problems. There is a possibility you may have to upgrade to the 6i6 to avoid overloading the input on the 2i2 but I am not sure about that. I'm sure someone who knows more than me will eventually chime in. Good luck!

danilive":1he89yln said:
I used a USB Focusrite Saffire. I had no problems. I change the Focusrite Saffire by 6i6. I did it because the Saffire had conflicts with the bandwidth usb, as the saffirre used much. But I had no problems using it only with Torpedo Live. If focusrite 2i2 not fed with USB you will not have this problem.

Greetings!
Unfortunately yes, my 2i2 is powered by USB. I've been thinking about upgrading to a better interface, so perhaps I will do that if it is indeed necessary.
Thanks for all of your posts so far.

I had to change the usb Saffire because consumed about 70% of resources. When connecting via USB Live Torpedo 100% of what is available is exceeded (for some points). To use the Torpedo Live and Saffire I had to unplug a device that was also connected by USB. The advantage of buying the 6i6 is that it has also spdif input and output. And this, considering that Live is mono (analog output), gives me the possibility of having two input signals to the 6i6. One dry and one wet. Dry can be used with, for example, the WOS, to add the simulation box. The wet signal already processed with simulation Live.

Greetings!

kaloskalos":2xwxfadx said:
Hello all, I have 3 specific questions regarding the Two Notes Torpedo Live and I hope someone can answer them!

1. None of the videos I have watched show someone using the Effects Loop of their amp with pedals like delay/reverb.
I run pedals both in front of the amp, and in the effects loop of my amp. Is it possible to do this and will it sound correct going thru the Torpedo Live?

I use the Torpedo Live with my Bogner Uberschall and have a delay and EQ in the loop and it is no different than if you had hooked up your amp to an actual cab with regard to how it interacts with pedals/rack effects in the loop. I also use pedals in front of the amp and they behave no differently than if the amp was connected to an actual cab as well.

2. I hear the loadbox works up to 100watts, but I have a 120watt head (Peavy 6505+) Will I be at risk of damaging the Torpedo Live or will it just operate up to its 100watt max even with 120 watt heads just fine?

My Bogner Uberschall is 120w and it works perfectly fine. So long as you aren't running your amp at max volume (which probably wouldn't be an ideal sound anyway) you'll be fine. In any case, the Torpedo Live has a safeguard built in that will warn you if the unit is getting to the point where it can't handle it so you can safely shut things down. So far, I haven't run into any such issues when using the Live with my Uberschall, and I run with the channel volume at noon, and the master volume between 10 o'clock and noon.

Just run from the line out on the Live and set the 2i2 to Line level input and it will be fine. Just balance the gain on the 2i2 and the Out level on the Live to what sounds best.

1. The Torpedo Live just takes the place of the speaker cabinet. Your setup will work and sound correct with the Live, just like it would on an actual cabinet ;)

But actually, the Live will allow you to enhance this setup. If you can, try placing some effects after the Live instead of in the loop of your amp. This way, they won't be affected by the heavy filter that is the speaker cabinet, and will gain clarity and openness. Things like chorus, delays or reverbs will typically benefit from behing placed after the Live.

2. Just don't put your amp to maximum volume and it will be ok. Actually, putting an amp at maximum volume is rarely a good idea (it can, but it's rare). Please refer to the user manual of the Torpedo Live for a more detailled explanation.

3 has already been answered ;)

I just started experimenting with placing my delays after the torpedo live. So far, I think it is a better way to run this type of setup. I always feared that I was somehow changing the way my amp naturally is intended to operate due to the input and output control on my delay rack when placed in my amps fx loop. My amp seems (this could all be 100% be in my imagination) to be more open, and the delays sound more full. I get to try it out in a live environment this week, which will ultimately be the real test.

Avoiding the amp loop must be the favorited choice, unless you need to hear your effects in a guitar cabinet on stage. :rock:

My amp seems (this could all be 100% be in my imagination) to be more open, and the delays sound more full.

Nope, that makes sense. ;)

So I actually got to try the delay unit after my torpedo. I will say that it was the cleanest signal that I have ever had with my amp. What a sound! I am slowly working from the ground up with the newest iteration of my rig and introducing one new pedal at a time. Pleased so far with the use of the ownhammer bogner shiva 2x12 v3 mix irs. To me, the mix of the different mics makes all the difference.

I'm still hoping that Two Notes will add effects loops into their hardware at some point. It would be great to be able to patch effects in, use the software to choose whether the loop is placed pre or post simulation & then still use the Torpedo outs as the master outputs for front of house etc ...heck, you could even have an option in the software to choose whether the loop is present at the speaker 'thru' or not, that way one could hear the effects through their cab onstage too should they wish. It's something that would be particularly helpful for those of us that have amps without effects loops (as well as being a way to garner better results for those who do have amps with loops) & would also be another feature to help push the Torpedo line toward being the perfect utilitarian device for guitarists & our amps.

cpiquette":wy2pkj1a said:
So I actually got to try the delay unit after my torpedo. I will say that it was the cleanest signal that I have ever had with my amp. What a sound! I am slowly working from the ground up with the newest iteration of my rig and introducing one new pedal at a time. Pleased so far with the use of the ownhammer bogner shiva 2x12 v3 mix irs. To me, the mix of the different mics makes all the difference.

I want you to explain a little more about it. Are you talking about using the delay to DAW? If so, I want to know what the delay you use.
I'm trying to tell me about reverb and delay for use in the DAW. And sometimes, when translating from English, I lost the real meaning of what I read. :doh:

Thank You!

danilive":f3m40xa6 said:
cpiquette":f3m40xa6 said:

I want you to explain a little more about it. Are you talking about using the delay to DAW? If so, I want to know what the delay you use.
I'm trying to tell me about reverb and delay for use in the DAW. And sometimes, when translating from English, I lost the real meaning of what I read. :doh:

Thank You!

What I am talking about is using my line 6 echo pro in line after the torpedo live. I am using this type of setup specifically for live use with my band. In the few instances where I was using the torpedo for recording with my DAW (Logic X), I would disable the cab/miking othe unit, and use the WOS plugin for my IRs. I am currently getting my reverb from my amp, and I can use a delay plugin after the WOS plugin. Regardless of whether I am playing live or recording at home, the delay after the torpedo seems to be a superior sounding setup. I could also record my sound coming from my rack, but I wouldn't have as much versatility in regards to changing my cab sound or tweak my delay settings.

I thought of another question if someone can answer this for me. Seeing as I intend to use the Line Input and Output as my effects loop as has been recommended, that leaves me with only an S/PDIF output to connect with my Interface. The 2i2 Scarlett that I'm using doesn't have an S/PDIF input. Is there an adapter I could use to turn S/PDIF to a normal 1/4" connector? Would that work?

I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the better models, but I would rather avoid it if possible.

Basstyra":1ffpi7gn said:
But actually, the Live will allow you to enhance this setup. If you can, try placing some effects after the Live instead of in the loop of your amp. This way, they won't be affected by the heavy filter that is the speaker cabinet, and will gain clarity and openness. Things like chorus, delays or reverbs will typically benefit from behing placed after the Live.

I ordered the Torp Live yesterday, and downloaded the manual. After reading the manual, and your above statement, I have a question:
When using a signal processor in the insert points, does the Torp Live allow for control over the amount of dry signal that passes through to the speaker out ?
Thanks

Voodoo Radio, please provide more information on what you are trying to do.

If you are inserting an effect using your amp's effect loop, you either set the dry level on the loop (if it is a parallel loop) or within the processor's mix control (for a serial loop). If you are using a parallel loop, be sure to set the effect's mix to 100%.

If you are placing the effects after the Torpedo, just use the effect's mix parameters.

If you need to mix in some unsimulated signal to the feed to FOH, you would some additional gear. Note that the Torpedo Studio does allow this option.

If your Torpedo is then connected to a guitar cabinet via the thru, this signal is a) unattenuated (unless another attenuator is added) and b) would only have the effects that are placed before the amp or in the amp's effect loop.

sysexguy":1o41v5cr said:
Voodoo Radio, please provide more information on what you are trying to do.

If you are inserting an effect using your amp's effect loop, you either set the dry level on the loop (if it is a parallel loop) or within the processor's mix control (for a serial loop). If you are using a parallel loop, be sure to set the effect's mix to 100%.

If you are placing the effects after the Torpedo, just use the effect's mix parameters.

If you need to mix in some unsimulated signal to the feed to FOH, you would some additional gear. Note that the Torpedo Studio does allow this option.

If your Torpedo is then connected to a guitar cabinet via the thru, this signal is a) unattenuated (unless another attenuator is added) and b) would only have the effects that are placed before the amp or in the amp's effect loop.

I am asking specifically about using line in/line out on the torp live , and how signal flows when those in/outs are used as a loop? Would the loop be series, or parallel ? If the loop is parallel, can the wet/dry ratio be adjusted within the accompanying software plugin? I do realize that I can adjust the parameters of the effect itself, but I usually don't care for the sound of time based/ambient effects in a series loop.
Not sure I am following what you are saying about the need for another attenuator? The manual says that spdif, thru, and line out work simultaneously. Wouldn't all of those be attenuated?
Thanks for taking the time to respond, and I hope that made my question a bit clearer. Mine should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to dig in!!

The Thru output is at speaker level which bypasses the loadbox allowing one to use the Torpedo to send a signal to a recorder or front of house console all while still using the traditional guitar cabinet and amp as a personal monitor. The Thru is activated by plugging a speaker wire into the Thru jack on the rear. In order to protect your amp, the Thru must be connected to proper speaker load. The Thru signal is not available if a line level input is used

Back