Help Buying which Version of the Captor?

Sophie

I can't wait to buy my Torpedo Captor but I would like to buy one that I can use with multiple amps because I'm likely to be changing my gear relatively soon and have access to multiple amps. The main reason I want a Captor is for quiet recording into my interface.

Right now I have an old Marshall DSL 40 combo that comes with two 8 ohm outputs but its stock internal speaker is plugged into a 16 ohm output that disables the other outputs when used. However, I'm likely to get a new amp in the next year or so (probably a the first EVH 5150 lunchbox) and I want to make sure that whatever I get is still compatible with my Captor.

Could I push the switch on my DSL 40 to 8 ohm and use the Captor 8 ohms instead of the Captor 16? I'm worried if I buy the 16 ohm version that it won't be compatible with many amps but I'm not sure if I could safely run the DSL 40 through an 8 ohm version.

I would rather buy a Captor 8 ohm than 16 ohm because I also own a Marshall DSL 100 head that only switches from 4 to 8 ohm. I will probably also have access to a JSX head (switchable from 4 to 8 to 16 ohm) and there are a few other amps that I might end up using too (like a Hughes and Kettner 40 watt Tubemeister and a Marshall 1959 head).

Also is it possible to plug an Engl E530 preamp into the Captor?

Thank you.

Hello,

You should probably check the manual of the DSL 40 and see if you can run it at 8 ohms. If yes, then the 8 ohms Captor will work. If no, you still can use an 8 ohms Captor as a DI box, between the amp and the speaker. You won't get any attenuation nor silent playing but you'll be able to record your amp through the Line or DI output.

You don't need a Captor with a preamp, just connect the preamp to your sound interface and you're good to go :)

You can safely run your DSL40C with the 8ohm Captor.

Unplug the internal speaker from the 16ohm output. Plug the Captor into one of the 8ohm jacks, and you're good to go. The crucial part is just making sure you're not using any other speaker jack.

I've ran the 40C into an 8ohm Mesa cabinet the same way, and it works just fine.

Thanks! I just ordered an 8 ohm version and am waiting for it to ship.

Last noob question... what cable would I use to connect my amp into the Captor? A speaker cable?

I know the Captor manual is available online and I have already looked at but just want to double check.

Back