[VIDEO] Metal Guitars with the Torpedo Live

guillaume_pille

Dear all,

our friend Brett Caldas-Lima from Tower Studio shows us some nice metal sounds using the Torpedo Live in his studio :

Of course the Torpedo Live is not designed for metal exclusively, but in this style of music tweaking the sound of guitars may be a little tricky Be assured the Torpedo Live won't let you down !

I really like the sound of this clip. I'm thinking about buying the Torpedi PI-101 Modern plugin. Only question I have is do you get the same sound out of the plugin as the Torpedo Live? As I'm only recording stuff and not playing live, I feel that I don't need to buy an external unit if I can get the same tone out of a plugin.
Can I get the same cab sound as in this video out of the plugin?

The Torpedo process (which is the combination of the speaker/mic IR's and the ability to then move the virtual microphone to the spot that sounds best) is common to both the plug-in and hardware units.

The Torpedo Live adds the integrated loadbox to handle the amplifier output and the a/d conversion (if using the digital spdif out). To use the plug-in with a head, you would need a suitable loadbox with an uncompensated line output and your daw/interface. If you can run full volume, you could use a special DI that taps the speaker line between the amp and speaker however we've been underwhelmed by a few we've tried so far (the DI's). Finally, you could also use a line level input, either using a suitably heavy sounding preamp (Engl makes one afaik) or take the effects send from your head into the daw and add the optional power amp models available in both the plug in and Live.

Andy www.diffusion-audio.com

Please remember that the impact of the loadbox and the combination with the digital interface is important.

The TORPEDO hardware units take care of the conversion of the signal from the speaker out of the head to the speaker-miking simulation.

If some poorly designed tools are used to achieve this process, a lot of tone and dynamics may be lost.

In other words, a high quality loadbox AND a high quality digital interface are mandatory to get close to what you have in a TORPEDO hardware unit.

Back