Ola Englund review of the TORPEDO Live

Interesting - the first mike I did come up with sounds to my taste was the Ribbon 160 emulation. Like Ola in the video. There obviously is much I need to try out regarding my personal presets.
I'm talking hard rock rhyhm guitars here.
The clean / crunchy tones I founds much easiert to accomplish.

The thing with M160 is that you may need to EQ a little to gain more presence in the mix. It's good to play with it direct, as you have not too much high frequencies, but when you have to put it in a mix it may be more difficult than a SM57 or a condenser microphone.

To my taste it is better to use the 160 in addition with another microphone, dynamic or condenser.

I'm thinking of getting this unit to use in a live situation. I would still use a cabinet live, so my question is does the Torpedo Live color the tone coming out of the cab or does it keep it pure. The Line Out (or headphone out) of the Torpedo Live would be used for "personal monitor" (in-ears).

PJ

When the Thru jack is connected to a speaker, the amp's full output is routed to the speaker and the Torpedo's processor takes a line level tap without affecting the tone to the Thru or attenuating this signal in any way.

Andy

Ribbons by nature have a lot of proximity, so it's usually advantageous to back them up from the source a bit. Lots of the vintage Hendrix stuff was captured by the M160 backed off the cab.

What's nice about them is their smoothness in the top-end, which allows for EQ after the fact without increasing hi freq "fizz" etc.

guillaume_pille":22mglwke said:
The thing with M160 is that you may need to EQ a little to gain more presence in the mix. It's good to play with it direct, as you have not too much high frequencies, but when you have to put it in a mix it may be more difficult than a SM57 or a condenser microphone.

To my taste it is better to use the 160 in addition with another microphone, dynamic or condenser.

Back