torpedo Live with Attenuation

gabaghoul

Do you ever plan on making a version of the Torpedo that will actually attenuate? It seems like you're only one step away from adding that feature. If you did, I would say you would have won the whole attenuation market over. This would truly be a must have box for players who use tube amps for on stage, at home for practice and in the recording studio. I'd be surprised if its never been brought up.

Anyway just a thought because I am in the market for a box that does what I am describing but my only option right now are the attenuators out there that have decent speaker sims. And there are a few.

John

Hi John,

well, I can't tell you what is about to get out of the factory but we worked a lot on the attenuation problem with the LB-202, which is a little overkill.

The thing is it's hard to build a good attenuator at a decent price, and we wanted our loadboxes to have the smallest impact on the tone of the amp.

Passive attenuators are quite bad and active ones, if seriously built, are crazy expensive. This is where we are right now. ;)

Thanks for the info. I absolutely respect the secrecy around your new products.

I didn't realize you had an attenuator. What is the cost of the LB-202? I can't find a price anywhere.

As far as the attenuators out there, I've heard some great things about them, at least the ones that are around the $800-1000 price point, the reactive load ones. I've even heard great things about the Weber Mass and that's only around $240.

Any thoughts on those?

The LB-202 will stay a working prototype built in a very small quantity, because of it's crazy production price (something like 2000 USD customer price...).

We try to make the price point more realistic. ;)

About attenuator, yo have to keep in mind that 2 phenomenons will change the sound :

- playing at low volume does not FEEL like playing at high volume, your hear and body does not work the same with high or low volumes
- as soon as you change the relation between the amp and a cab, by adding something in between, the sound changes.

I personally prefers systems with what could be called "active attenuation" (actually it is passive 100% attenuation + active amplification) witch gives you a better control on the output volume and a very good and controlled tonal response.

gabaghoul":2szwfli6 said:
Thanks for the info. I absolutely respect the secrecy around your new products.

I didn't realize you had an attenuator. What is the cost of the LB-202? I can't find a price anywhere.

As far as the attenuators out there, I've heard some great things about them, at least the ones that are around the $800-1000 price point, the reactive load ones. I've even heard great things about the Weber Mass and that's only around $240.

Any thoughts on those?

Hello John,

This thread is old, but you may be interested in our NAMM 2013 news: http://ymlp.com/zabjDW

Cheers!

Romain

Thanks Romain. Looks very interesting but I should let you know I actually bought a Torpedo Live today and I wanted to tell you...I absolutely love this thing! It is so freaking awesome. I never had so much enjoyment playing my 100w monster thru headphones. Sounded absolutely killer.

I liked the Tri Green with the 57 IRs for my CAA PT100 but ultimately I went with my own RedWirez 1960a Marshall Cab with Greenbacks just off the cone. Sounds so amazing I can't stop playing.

I did have a question/suggestion that may or may not be something you were thinking about. I would really love to be able to blend more than one mic IR in Remote if possible, say a Shure 57 and a Royer 121. I think with a little work this software could be incredibly robust. Another thing that would be interesting and maybe this could be the workaround...if I was able to load Remote as a plugin to a track in Logic, I could theoretically load it on more then one track with different IRs. That way I would be able to do exactly what Im looking for. Probably not possible but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Let me know if that makes sense or if you already have something that does this already or if Im just crazy. :)

Anyway, absolutely stunning piece of gear. Thank you for your effort. I'm gonna go play some more.

John

Thank you very much for the kind words!

About IR mixing, check the latest news from Two Notes at the Musikmesse, you may have a nice surprise... ;)

If I was able to load Remote as a plugin to a track in Logic, I could theoretically load it on more then one track with different IRs. That way I would be able to do exactly what Im looking for.

Well, the Remote doesn't handle any kind of audio processing. So even if it was a plugin, well, you could only remote control your Torpedo Live. ;)

Again, check for the latest updates about the Two Notes products, the press release should spread soon... :rock:

I'm assuming you are referring to Blender. Sounds very interesting. Psyched to hear more.

BTW, I had a question about the free WoS software with the purchase of a CAB. Considering buying a LIVE is like buying 2 CABs, is it possible to get the free download as well since I just bought my LIVE this week? For a big fan of your products.:)

guillaume_pille":p2u8vogf said:
The LB-202 will stay a working prototype built in a very small quantity, because of it's crazy production price (something like 2000 USD customer price...).

We try to make the price point more realistic. ;)

About attenuator, yo have to keep in mind that 2 phenomenons will change the sound :

- playing at low volume does not FEEL like playing at high volume, your hear and body does not work the same with high or low volumes
- as soon as you change the relation between the amp and a cab, by adding something in between, the sound changes.

I personally prefers systems with what could be called "active attenuation" (actually it is passive 100% attenuation + active amplification) witch gives you a better control on the output volume and a very good and controlled tonal response.
Well that is a serious crying shame.
I would have paid that for something of the quality you guys produce.

If you ever decide to clear out your prototype shelves do contact me, you pay for what you get in this world and I know what I want.

Regards.

Sorry ExpatZ the price I indicated was for 100 units minimum, and if our distribution network finds a product too expensive it is hard for us to force them to work it. ;)

Anyway, the Torpedo Reload, even if mono, is a better product than the LB-202; so don't worry. ;)

Back