VB-101 Recording with SPDIF WET/DRY

Damageplan

Hi,

it's me again with some questions about WET/DRY recording via SPDIF :)

While doing a wet/dry sample for alquimistas1212 at the other thread i discovered that the output level of the unprocessed signal is very very high compared to the processed signal.
Is it possible to adjust the output levels of both processed and unprocessed signal individually?

What du you suggest to do to get both signals recorded with appropriate levels?

Btw: Is there any SPDIF cable you recommend?

Thanks again.
Matthias

the output level of the unprocessed signal is very very high compared to the processed signal.

Actually both signals are configured not to saturate the internal process. The input gain is set up in function of the dry signal, and output volume is set up so none of the signal will saturate the DAC.

The difference you feel must be on distorted signal. The frequency components of the dry signal are unfiltered by a speaker, and therefore sounds louder.

If you look only below 3KHz, you will find that both signals are more or less equivalent.

When you set the output volume, you will find that you can have distorsion quite easily with the simulated sound due to low frequencies.

For recording, a signal around -18dB FS is quite normal to me.

What is the max level (dB FS on your soundcard) you reach with the wet signal?

Btw: Is there any SPDIF cable you recommend?

Well, for short lengths, I think any cable is good. The best is still to have a 75 Ohms coaxial cable. We do here most of the synchronisation tests with very cheap cables, just to make sure it works on most configurations.

Hi,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but the last weeks where very busy.
Now I finally found some time to work with the wet/dry recording functionality.

I managed to record a wet and a dry signal at the same time using only digital connection via SPDIF.
After some time of trying i finally even found the right I/O configuration on my interface and DAW to record a remiked signal back to my DAW.

But when i play the WET signal together with the remiked signal i get phase cancellation. Phase inversion doesn't help here.
Both signals a panned to middle.
So what am i missing here? Is this even possible? Or is the only way in using the dry signal together with the wet signal in using a software speaker simulation on the dry signal?

Thanks
Matthias

Hi Matthias,

first, you should download the latest version of the user's manual, it was uploaded last week:

http://www.two-notes.com/downloads/EN_MANUAL_torpedo_vb101.pdf

I better explained the re-miking process (well, I hope).

I understand I forgot to talk about the latency compensation...

So what am i missing here? Is this even possible?

You experienced it, it is possible. ;) It is easy to understand: your soundcard has a latency + S/PDIF latency + TORPEDO latency + Torpedo S/PDIF latency. This is more a delay between the original track and the processed one than a phase issue.

In most sequencers, you will find a plugin to measure the total latency of the system. Then you can move the first wet track of the desired samples amount. It may not be perfect, but you can change the situation from a "delay issue" to a "phase issue" (I don't know if this is clear). Then you can tweak with a phase adjustment plugin + the VARIPHI on the VB-101.

As soon as you use a digital (or even an analog actually) peripheral as an outboard effect, you have to deal with those latency issues.

Ah, ok, I think I understood the issue here.
That's why there are no such problems when using wet signal with dry signal + software speaker sim.

Ok, I'll try to deal with this and search for delay compensation in my DAW (Studio One 2 btw.).

I'll report back here if I can fix it or if i'm simply to stupid for getting this working :)

The other solution for that to record two Cab/Mic on seperate channels would be to get a Torpedo C.A.B. and connect the PRE SIM OUT of the VB-101 to it :D

Well, that is not a simple issue so don't be too hard on yourself... ;)

I think there is an auto delay compensation plugin in Studio One but I am not an expert of this sequencer actually...

If you want to use the multiple miking only in recording, you should definitively use the PI-101 WOS rather than another hardware unit.

The C.A.B. is a good solution if you have to go onstage with the sound.

Hello again,

there's an plugin called "Pipeline" in Studio One. With that it is possible to use external hardware as input plugin right within your DAW.
It detects latency automatically and you can then finetune the sample-offset.
With that i think i managed to get it working... the outcome sounded good to my ears ;)

But that is not a very practical way to go...

As you suggest the best way for recording multiple cabs/mics on different tracks is the usage of a software speaker sim as your PI-101 WOS.

Anyways it is a very interesting topic :)

So thank you again for your support!

Cheers
Matthias

Well I know that using outboard gear is always time consuming. It is possible, but in my opinion, as soon as the signal is in the box, when using digital processing like the VB-101, it is better/simpler to keep it in the box, using the plugin.

Back