Torpedo LIVE - anyone interested in hearing soundcloud files

shore

Hi,
I do have the Torpedo a few weeks now. I started pre-production of my new instrumental album playing around with several Preamps, Amps and Torpedo settings.

If you want to have a quick and easy listen, just go to one of the site (both soundcloud files with instant access:)
http://www.svenhorlemann.com
or (these are the same edits)
https://soundcloud.com/svenhorlemann/set ... ion-edits/

I am also interested in connecting with other players and hear what they do. If you like to connect, please do so:
https://www.facebook.com/svenhorlemann.guitarplayer

On facebook you also find a video from demoing my songs.

Hi Sven, those tracks sound great!

It would be great if you could share some of your settings. Grinding tones that aren't super distorted are the hardest one to get and you've done a great job. I'm sure that other readers here will be very curious to learn exactly how you did this.

Andy

Sven and I are talking in private for a long time, this guy is obviously a great player.

We were talking about his guitar tone by mail, maybe Sven we could transfer the conversation here so anybody can take benefit from your advice. ;)

Thank you, you are most kind.
I'm not sure I have achieved such a great tone, though.
:)

Please remember that the sound of the whole band, especially the drums, play an important role in how the guitars sound in the mix. Secondly there are EQ and tape saturation plugins on all guitars, which change the guitar tone. Finally the leads have an UAD Roland RE 201 delay on (preset clear and warm) which does marvelous things to the tone.

I try to remember the presets and recording chain, but please accept that the files are a few weeks old and were in the middle of searching a tone I would like to settle for.

What I remember...
Rhythm guitars are played on a cheapo strat copy I bought 2 months ago for exactly 50 Euro. I'm not kiddin'... They went through a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman II (channel #2, 50% gain) and into a Marshall Artist 3202 through the FX return, therefore using only the tube poweramp (EL34's). Then through speaker out to the Torpedo. I built my preset without Poweramp (obviously) and without EQ. Used the Voice 65 cab and the Ribbon 121 mic, center 0%.

Leads are played with my most valued Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, with mixed string set from 0.10 to 0.52 (D'Addario EXL140).
Again the H&K (channel #3) into the Marshall into the Torpedo. I think I played through the same preset, but it might also have been my other Voice 65 preset with a Ribbon 160 mic, center 54%.

I'm still experimenting with the tonal possibilities, as I just decided to play all leads with my live / rehearsal amp (Engl Invader 150) and not the H&K. So, I'm still tweaking presets. I intend to take my time...

As a rock guitar player I believe that tubes do really help in achieving a good, warm guitar tone. But there is no harm in combining them with digital equipment like the Torpedo. Still I avoid solidstate / modelling (which I also own) and go for a tube preamp and tube poweramp before going digital. To my taste, this still gives the best results. Hence the Engl.

What I really like about the Torpedo is that a) finally there are convincing simulations and b) the variety of tonal possiblities without having to own all the cabs and mics.

HTH

Back