Torpedo Live with Delay Effects

pjrake

What would be the best the signal chain for a delay effect: in front of the amp or after the Torpedo Live but before the PA system?

Thinking of using the Torpedo Live as my line out for a W/D rig instead of the Suhr ISO Line Out.

PJ

Hi PJ, that would depend on whether your delay effects are stereo or not among other things. Since the Torpedo is mono out, placing the delay after it would allow stereo or wet/dry/wet.

If you were to place the delay before the Torpedo you would need to insert it at a point that the signal is at line level ie either prior to the pre-amp or in an effects loop or post pre-amp if using the line input on the Torpedo. If your amp/ pre-amp contributes significantly to your distortion sound, a delay placed before the pre-amp will have a sound that is less distorted for each tail of echo...well more distorted by the tape or bucket brigades perhaps but as the level of each echo decreases, as does the amp distortion....this would emulate most 70's echo players live sound....think Tommy Bolin, Jimmy Page etc. also be aware that if you use boosters or overdrives to slam the amp, the echo may not be happy....BSM makes a box for that but that may be more of a headache ($$$) than it's worth...unless you're doing a Blackmore or Bolin tribute.

You could make a very effective W/D/W rig using the speaker through connected to the dry amp's speaker and run the Torpedo out to the wet rack input. I would guess the only challenge would be how to monitor the wet rack (if required)....maybe some powered monitors (Qsc k-series/EON/Mackie etc.)?

If any of this is not clear, perhaps you can detail your set-up and I'll try and make a suggestion

Andy

sysexguy":1cj9dtxj said:
Hi PJ, that would depend on whether your delay effects are stereo or not among other things. Since the Torpedo is mono out, placing the delay after it would allow stereo or wet/dry/wet.

If you were to place the delay before the Torpedo you would need to insert it at a point that the signal is at line level ie either prior to the pre-amp or in an effects loop or post pre-amp if using the line input on the Torpedo. If your amp/ pre-amp contributes significantly to your distortion sound, a delay placed before the pre-amp will have a sound that is less distorted for each tail of echo...well more distorted by the tape or bucket brigades perhaps but as the level of each echo decreases, as does the amp distortion....this would emulate most 70's echo players live sound....think Tommy Bolin, Jimmy Page etc. also be aware that if you use boosters or overdrives to slam the amp, the echo may not be happy....BSM makes a box for that but that may be more of a headache ($$$) than it's worth...unless you're doing a Blackmore or Bolin tribute.

You could make a very effective W/D/W rig using the speaker through connected to the dry amp's speaker and run the Torpedo out to the wet rack input. I would guess the only challenge would be how to monitor the wet rack (if required)....maybe some powered monitors (Qsc k-series/EON/Mackie etc.)?

If any of this is not clear, perhaps you can detail your set-up and I'll try and make a suggestion

Andy

Thanks Andy!

My setup would be:

Amp out to Torpedo Live, then Amp Thru to a 212 cab, all dry signal, mic to FOH. Then a Line Out of the Torpedo Live to a Plush delay pedal (mono) to the FOH and/or a flat response cab (Atomic amps). The headphones out would go to my IEM.

What would be the best suggestion?

PJ

Hi PJ, I think that will work just fine for you, obviously, the headphone/IEM feed would be without the delay as well.

Andy

Dear all,

I think the setup you want to do pjrake is the best, you perfectly understood how to make this work.

I would check if the Plush pedal can drive the microphone input of a mixer. Based on the user manual, the output impedance is very high, you will need a DI to send this signal to a PA or you may lose a lot of high frequencies (too much vintage kills vintage, in my opinion ^^).

Another option would be to use this pedal in front of your amp (apparently that's how they sell it), but don't forget the delay will be affected by the distorsion stages in your amp. Sending a delay to a distorsion stage is TOTALLY different from putting a delay on a distorted signal. I prefer the second option (the usual option in the studio by the way), but it is a matter of taste.

Yeah, I'm thinking of having my own DI box, since we're dealing with different sound guys all the time. And if in the event they don't wanna run a wet line, I'll just mic the dry cab.

In terms of IEM, this is something my band is looking into incorporating in the future, but regardless, the Tordepo Live will be a staple in my live rig.mtheres so many ways this thing can be use its amazing!

Thanks all for your input!!!

PJ

About IEM, I would suggest to have your own monitoring system (for example a little rack mixer, just tell the sound guy to send you a stereo mix and you're good to go. The idea behind is to be indépendant from the venue's system, which may or may not be good enough for you.

The best is to have a dedicated sound engineer to take care of that, but this is not the cheaper configuration. ;)

Back