Tube selection and parameters

jrluke

I am seriously eyeing the Torpedo CAB. I'm curious about the tube preamp choices and what parameters are involved with the tube selections. I'm not looking to get any substantial gain out of that section but I am curious about if you can get a gentle overdriven tube effect. Something that would clean up nicely but something to emulate that tube warmth after the pedal chain. I love my overdrive/distortion pedal so it's a minor detail but I have not seen anything beyond the variety of power tubes available for further simulation of cabs, mics etc. Thanks for any feedback on this.

Hi jrluke,

the power amp section is perfectly capable of very creamy tube amp distorsion effect, including compression coming from the "I won't give you the voltage you're asking me" effect caused by a power amp section pushed too hard on an amp.

Maybe some C.A.B. or Live user may tell you more about the distorsion you can have with the tube power amp modeling.

Another option would be to download the PI-FREE and try the tube amp yourself. ;)

Hi Guillaume, the semi-technical term in English for "I won't give you the voltage you're asking me" effect is "sag".

The Two Notes power amp sims can definitely give one all the great sag and crunch that a vintage amp with medium gain preamp delivers, or conversely be run reasonably clean with modern high-gain preamps as well.

I use my CAB exclusively with vintage mid-gain tube preamps for both tube power amp sims and cab/speaker/mic sims, sounds fantastic (Hiwatt, Marshall, Orange, Fender, Matchless and Vox currently, Dumble in developement). Another great feature is the various tube types available too (For example I can change my vintage Marshall Super Lead preamp from a 50/100 Watt with EL34's, to a 18W with EL84's).

guillaume_pille":1wl7rt19 said:
Hi jrluke,

the power amp section is perfectly capable of very creamy tube amp distorsion effect, including compression coming from the "I won't give you the voltage you're asking me" effect caused by a power amp section pushed too hard on an amp.

Maybe some C.A.B. or Live user may tell you more about the distorsion you can have with the tube power amp modeling.

Another option would be to download the PI-FREE and try the tube amp yourself. ;)

Hi Guillaume, the semi-technical term in English for "I won't give you the voltage you're asking me" effect is "sag".

I know it is called SAG ;). Apparently my attempt at humor didn't survived my french to english translation. :cry:

Au contraire, je pensais que c'était très drôle mon ami!

BTW, loving my CAB which is being used just about everyday, thanks again for the great products!

Merci!

guillaume_pille":2jsaspfv said:

I know it is called SAG ;). Apparently my attempt at humor didn't survived my french to english translation. :cry:

Back