What cable to capture wet and dry from Torpedo LIVE?

gabaghoul

What exact cable do I need to connect to an RME UFX to record the dry and wet tracks coming out of the Torpedo Live? I know it's S/PDIF but there are different types. If anyone has a RME UFX, please advise.

You'll need a spdif coax to optical converter, a short optical cable and a short spdif coax cable (rca-rca 75ohm). The optical cable is then plugged into "ADAT2" input and you'll set the ADAT2 port to be SPDIF (afaik in the RME's software manager). The Live requires that your clock rate be 48kHz or 96kHz and that the Live is master. You would then record both the dry and speaker emulated sounds into your DAW on separate tracks

Some converters you could use include the M Audio CO2 (which is afaik no longer available new) or consumer versions such as https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxial-T ... pd_sim_e_3 There is likely a solution available in the RME catalogue but that would be needlessly expensive.

Andy

Thanks for the advice. I found where to change ADAT2 to AES/S/PDIF.

Just 3 more questions.

1. My RME came with a "TOSLINK" optical cable. Would that work for the optical connection to the convertor you recommended?

2. Is there a difference between RCA and S/PDIF coax?

3. In my DAW (Logic Pro 9) should I see 2 channels coming in from the Torpedo thru my RME?

There is no question quota limit :thumbsup:

1) the Toslink cable will connect from the coax/optical converter to the RME just fine

2) the signal is the same, cork sniffers in the hifi and pro audio worlds may argue over which format of spdif works better but the data structure etc is the same https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

3) yes the ADAT2 input would become 2 adjacent tracks. You could record them as stereo which automatically links them for edits but ultimately you'll be happier at mix time with independent tracks. Logic allows you to manage this and make the tracks separate at the time you prefer. Perhaps to start, I'd record as 2 mono tracks and get comfortable with the process and then learn some editing shortcuts afterwards (by using a stereo track temporarily.

Andy

Is this the screen I need to set ADAT2 to SPDIF? There is no option to set the ADAT2 port. I thought there was. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 7.43.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 7.43.17 PM.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 864
If anyone needs one of the M-Audio CO2 units for the optical to toslink connections ....I have a brand new one still in sealed/shrink wrapped packaging! I never used it as I switched to a new interface that has the corresponding SPDIF that the Live has.

PM me if you want it for a great deal. You can't get these anymore and they are the best for this conversion.

Back