Torpedo BlendIR Beta starting... NOW!

guillaume_pille

Dear all,

you may have heard about the new Torpedo BlendIR software that was announced at the Musikmesse.

The BlendIR is your Impulse Response laboratory: mix them, tweak them, distort them the way you like, and export the result into a Torpedo compliant file you can upload in an Two Notes product (hardware or plugin).

Torpedo_BlendIR.jpg

This way you can realize the most complex IR mix offline, then upload it into your Torpedo!

The BlendIR is a standalone software (OS X, Windows).

With the BlendIR you can:

- Create an Impulse project, save it at some point and work on it later

- Upload up to 8 impulse responses in .wav, .aiff or .tur (two notes proprietary format) and get access to the following parameters: length (in samples), offset (move your IR on a time axis), Phase (slight phase adjustment), Volume with Mute and Solo button on all IR

- Torpedo Capture is embedded in BlendIR, so you just have to click on the red button to start a capture that will be automatically loaded on the selected Impulse slot.

- 31-band EQ to fine tune your resulting Impulse

- A playlist to upload your guitar /bass or whatever sound tracks that will be processed by the impulses

- Many Visualisation options (time, frequency, phase) for the impulses and spectrum analyser on the track before and after processing

WARNING : this is a beta version, even we we did our best to release a perfect software, keep in mind this is not a final version, you may experience bugs that you can simply report on our Help Desk:

http://support.two-notes.com/

On Mac OS X you will find some sound samples and Impulse responses under:

/Library/Application Support/Two Notes Audio Engineering

(and they should be somewhere on Windows but I don't have a PC to try it right now, please let me know where they are and I will edit this message... ^^)

You can download and upload .tur impulses on the Two Notes exchange website:

http://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-exchange/

AND OF COURSE THE MOST IMPORTANT, THE LINKS:

http://rapidshare.com/files/3742049605/Torpedo_BlendIR_Beta_0.9.1_Mac_Setup.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/4188069140/Torpedo_BlendIR_0.9.1_PC_Setup.exe

(We try Rapidshare, as download between Europe and US are VERY slow with our usual servers. Again, if you experience some issues downloading, let us know)

HAVE FUN!

Excellent! I'll be trying it out tonight. Not sure if I can make anything on interest, but I'll try it out anyways!

I hope you guys will like it.

It can be a little intimidating at first, but just turn the buttons and open your ears, and everything will be fine!! :rock:

Fantastic news :)
Just had been thinking about the other day, like: "what a shame that the Torpedo CAB cannot combine different mics and positions."
And here we have already the solution. :thumbsup:
Absolutly great. Will try it out this weekend.
Great job guys!!!!

guillaume_pille":x2c61aqk said:
I hope you guys will like it.

It can be a little intimidating at first, but just turn the buttons and open your ears, and everything will be fine!! :rock:
I'm sure you guys have already messed around with it.....any tips to start out?

Actually I'm learning to use it, just like you. ;)

I tried it first at the Musikmesse.

First I load some guitar tracks I know well, recorded using a VB-101 or Torpedo Live (simulation bypassed).

And I simply pick some files, usually random, and play with the length/phase just to create some phase cancelation effect.

Once I find something good, I manage the volume of each IR.

Then I add what's missing with the EQ.

I just had an idea: I am quite experienced with guitar tones so I know where I want to go with the IR and I can manage to create the sound I have in mind, but sometimes it's easier to have a "tonal guide".

I'll see if we can put an option that let you upload a "wet" guitar track so you can compare this one and the dry your are processing.

We also have in a drawer somewhere a match EQ algorithm which is quite decent, do you think that would be an interesting option?

You load a dry track, a wet track, and the BlendIR creates the IR that help you go from the dry to the wet?

Would it be possible to add a function to take a freeze frame of a torpedo cabinet/mic/position combination and use that result as one of the impulses?

Andy

guillaume_pille":3ue2yf3c said:
I just had an idea: I am quite experienced with guitar tones so I know where I want to go with the IR and I can manage to create the sound I have in mind, but sometimes it's easier to have a "tonal guide".

I'll see if we can put an option that let you upload a "wet" guitar track so you can compare this one and the dry your are processing.

We also have in a drawer somewhere a match EQ algorithm which is quite decent, do you think that would be an interesting option?

You load a dry track, a wet track, and the BlendIR creates the IR that help you go from the dry to the wet?
A match feature would be pretty cool.

I loaded another track (that was a miced cab) and used it as a reference, but I had to turn off the cabs and EQ to listen to it. That wasn't a big deal, but if that could be made a slightly easier process would be cool. Perhaps a single button that turned off all IRs and EQ? Or a separate place to load and play a file you wish to emulate?

The one thing I was a bit frustrated with was the inability to drag the slider on the "player" to go back and listen to certain sections. All I could do as start the clip over from the beginning.

I don't know how useful it'd ultimately be, but it might be cool to have a snap shot feature that would capture a pic of the curve of that top right window. That might help to see a response you like and manipulate the EQ to match it. But, I don't know how useful a single frame snap shot would be. It might help to get in the ball park? I don't know. It was just something I felt I would like to have seen.

Something I noticed that seems to be a bug, if I move the slider right under the mute button, it doesn't seem to affect the level of the IR. I assume that is a level adjustment, right? It DOES seem to make a difference when two IRs are loaded, but not with one. Is this normal?

A few questions...

A) Why would you adjust the frequency setting? From what I can tell, that just moves the waveform in time of the IR. What useful purpose might this serve?

B) If I adjust an EQ setting, it affects all the windows at the bottom. I can see how the frequency graph would change, but am at a lose as to why the time and phase setting would change. Even with a single IR it will do this.

Even in beta, it is a powerful tool. That 31 band EQ is a thing of beauty. Some documentation as to what you are seeing in the bottom three graphs might be useful in understanding what is going on.

Thanks for this tool!!

Hi, I haven't had time to try it yet, probably Tuesday night PST, but I have a couple of thoughts Guillaume...

a) Match would be great! :yes:

b) Loading source file would be great too (needed for match in any case)! :yes:

C) BUT, adding Torpedo BlendIR IR Mixing functionality to Torpedo Remote would be EXTRA SUPER GREAT!!! :shocked:

I'd LOVE the ability to create IR mixes in realtime or near-realtime while monitoring my recorded guitar track in context with the tracks, i.e. a ReAmp DI guitar track through my Tube Pre's/Torpedo CAB/Axe FX rig in realtime and mixing IR's via Torpedo Remote/BlendIR's Quick Preview functionality.

Merci!

With the Match setting, could we take snippets of our favourite record isolated guitar tones, and then be able to match the eq curve and tweak further?

If so, that would be very, very, very cool.

I took the freq window to be the IR/IR's you are tone you are processing along with the EQ adjustments - so you can see if anything is close to clipping.

Thank you all for the feedback, be sure that we are looking to all your requests closely, not everything can be done within a minute but at least we got the right trajectory... ;)

OK, lots of questions, sorry if I lose some:

Would it be possible to add a function to take a freeze frame of a torpedo cabinet/mic/position combination and use that result as one of the impulses?

I don't want top embed a full Torpedo process on that free software, I like the fact that this functionality stays dedicated to the "big guys" aka VB-101, VM-202 or WoS. But I don't say never.

Perhaps a single button that turned off all IRs and EQ?

A global mute or a dedicated zone to load "reference guitar sound, we will think about that.

The one thing I was a bit frustrated with was the inability to drag the slider on the "player" to go back and listen to certain sections. All I could do as start the clip over from the beginning.

Hum, at some point you'll ask for an embedded sequencer ^^but I can see if something not too complicated is possible.

Something I noticed that seems to be a bug, if I move the slider right under the mute button, it doesn't seem to affect the level of the IR. I assume that is a level adjustment, right? It DOES seem to make a difference when two IRs are loaded, but not with one. Is this normal?

Yes it's normal, there is a normalization process to avoid distorsion on that stage. So with only one IR, well, the process adjust the level every time you move the slider. ;) You can't beat it. ;)

A) Why would you adjust the frequency setting? From what I can tell, that just moves the waveform in time of the IR. What useful purpose might this serve?

I am not sure I understand. What frequency setting?

If you are talking about the offset and length, they have an impact on the frequency response and resolution of the IR. I think I'll have to write a white paper about all that. ;)

B) If I adjust an EQ setting, it affects all the windows at the bottom. I can see how the frequency graph would change, but am at a lose as to why the time and phase setting would change. Even with a single IR it will do this.

That is normal, an EQ affects the frequency and phase components of your IR and processed signal. All is linked. Again, that is basic signal processing theory but I understand it may be disturbing. In the end of the day, what matters is the sound you have. ;)

Some documentation as to what you are seeing in the bottom three graphs might be useful in understanding what is going on.

OK, I will ask the team to write a little something. It is hard to explain some concepts that requires a signal processing knowledge to fully understand what's involved, but we can try. ;)

C) BUT, adding Torpedo BlendIR IR Mixing functionality to Torpedo Remote would be EXTRA SUPER GREAT!!!

Well, we wanted it to be indépendant to the Torpedo hardware products, as someone using the PI-101 plugin can't use the Remote, for example. The remote won't load if you don't have a Torpedo hardware product synced to it.

What you can simply do is share the impulse directory between BlendIR and Remote, and having both launched at the same time!

With the Match setting, could we take snippets of our favourite record isolated guitar tones, and then be able to match the eq curve and tweak further?

That is the idea behind it, we will see how much time is needed to add this.

I took the freq window to be the IR/IR's you are tone you are processing along with the EQ adjustments - so you can see if anything is close to clipping.

Well, sometimes it's good to understand what's happening when you change parameters, and having a time/freq/phase visualisation helps you understand what you hear. Clipping should not really occur (only if you push too much the playlist volume).

Would it be possible to create a "port" function that ports the BlendIR instance into WOS plugin so you can tweak your blends and hear it directly in the DAW? I have been just kicking out a new IR, listening in the DAW, then tweaking again, kicking it out, listening in the DAW. It'd be cool if the WOS could "see" the BlendIR instance.

Might be something too complicated to do, but, would be a cool feature.

Back