Torpedo Live Questions

RMCasey

I'm very impressed by what I read about this unit and I am on the verge of getting one. I read the manual yesterday to make sure that I understand what I'm getting before I buy. For the same reason I have a few questions.

My current rig: Randall RM100 head (Friedman Modded), 4x12 cab loaded with Scumback M75s (16 ohm), G-system with some analog effects

What I want from Torpedo Live: I'm building a home studio and do not have an Iso booth in the budget. I would love to be able to use my tube amp that I love and record digitally without sacrificing tone. Being able to run silent is a great feature as well (to keep the neighbors and kids happy at 11pm). Also... running a line out directly to the board while playing live appeals to me. Making set up and teardown easier and more stable is a good thing!

Here are my questions:

A - Recording in a Studio Environment (using the load box)- If I understand correctly this will always be 8 ohms and I should adjust my amp accordingly.
1. The load box will not be engaged as long as there is a speaker connected correct?
2. Is there a switch to make sure the load box is turned on or is it automatic?
3. Is there an indicator showing that a load is being used (just want to make sure I do not blow my amp) or is it automatic?
4. No way to run in 16 ohm so I don't have to manually switch the back of the amp.... is there?

B - Playing live while using my cabinet -The torpedo live load box is 8 ohms. My cab is 16 ohms. If I understand correctly the load will turn off automatically when you connect a cabinet and I should set my amp to match the speakers since they will be carrying the load (16 ohms).
1. If I understand this correctly I will not be able to run silent using this setup correct?
2. Will I still carry a sufficient load (to keep my head safe) if accidentally forget to change the setting and have the amp set to 8 ohm? I do realize I should have it set to 16 ohms but "just in case" I want to make sure my head stays safe.
3. The balanced line out and spidf are still active when running like this correct? So I can fun the signal FOH or to my recording interface if I want correct?

C - Mounting the unit in a rack - Since the loadbox disburses heat to release the load is there any caution in mounting the unit in a rack? I was planning to get a 2 rack space box and mount a Furman power conditioner and the torpedo live together... then have that box sandwiched between my cabinet and the head. I want to stay as small as possible with the rack box but I want to be safe too!
1. Should you keep a blank space on either side (using a 4 space box instead of 2) to allow ventilation?

I know this is a lot but I want to make sure before I buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, it is the thru jack that switches the load automatically. When only the speaker in is connected, the 8 ohm load is connected. As soon as the thru has a plug connected, the load is bypassed and a speaker matching the head's selected impedance must be connected. In this mode, the Torpedo still functions as a speaker emulator and this signal is available both at the line out and digital outputs. Note the the spdif signal will have dry on the left and speaker emulation on the right so you need to assign the desired signal to your daw. This also offers the advantage of being able to re apply the Torpedo process later in the recording or mixing. This technique can be more effective and easier than re-amplification.

There is no indicator for load status but there 2 levels of protection, I would recommend this page and the video linked within: http://www.two-notes.com/en/faq/overhea ... pedo-live/

With regards to the rack, I would recommend a) you operate the amp as you would with a speaker connected, this will sound best, protect the tubes and allow the Live to work without overheating. b) if your furman has rack lights, either get led versions and assure that if they are not extended, that they are switched off c) make sure that both the front and rear of the rack allow for proper ventilation and are not obstructed... what about the TC unit?

Speaking off, we have some clients that use the amp/Torpedo as an insert in their G system so that they may operate in stereo and have the full harmonic spectrum available for the time and modulation processing. If you do this, make sure you operate the amp into Torpedo at unity gain or close, just set the Torpedo output so when this loop is bypassed, the volume doesn't change much. You will also need to assure you haven't created at ground loop, avoid using the pesky grey ground prong eliminators and modify your audio cabling instead. You can take advantage of the Torpedo's midi functions, both program change and continuous controllers if you want.

The upcoming Torpedo Reload would be a possible companion as it allows a 16 ohm selection for load and offers the ability to adjust the speaker output volume if a speaker is also used. In this case, the Torpedo Live is still required for speaker emulation (or any other Torpedo product). It will ship with a intro version WallofSound plug-in for the studio.

Finally, if switching your head's impedance setting is a problem, you could place a 8 ohm load in series with your Torpedo in the studio. You would then need to assure you always use this set-up when in the studio Alternately, you could use a weber z-matcher or equivalent....I would just make it a habit to adjust the impedance selector when in the studio.

Andy

Thanks!

Switching the back panel is not really a problem. Just being cautions.

The brain for my g-system is mounted to my pedalboard. I like having the main input on the pedalboard and using a 4 channel snake to run the rest of the cables to the head. Interesting concept using the torpedo in a loop. Definitely worth considering.

The reload looks cool but I can't swing both. I could consider cab + reload but live by itself looks like it does most of what I need (other than 16 ohm). My biggest disadvantage is ill have to do some cable switching when I want to run silent. The live would be perfect for me at 16ohm.

Gotta make some decisions now thanks!

http://www.racksandmore.com/index.php?s ... s=1344-840

Would a two unit rack like this one provide sufficient ventilation (providing the back was open) if loaded with a furman PL-8 and the torpedo live. I just want to make sure before I order the case. If I need more I can order a 3 space (or 4) to provide a blank space above and below.

I understand about the lights (they will be leds and seldomly used). not sure how much heat the torpedo puts out and do not want problems in my new setup.

Yeah.... I know you answered a similar question above but as I'm spending a bit of coin on this setup... I just want to make sure I take care of it properly and... a picture surely helps describe what I'm planning best. Best to buy right the first time!

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, I think you'll be ok for heat but a few things to consider. There is a 3" difference in the depth of the units which may make plugging the Torpedo tough. The USB may be particularly frustrating. Also, you may have a hard time fitting wall warts directly on the rear face of the pl-8 (don't know if that applies). I think that if you operate the Torpedo optimally and the front and rear vents are not obstructed, you should be fine. You may want to get a short IEC Cable for the Torpedo to keep things clean for ex http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... Power.html

Andy

No wall warts so that's not a problem. Just plugging in the amp (IEC), torpedo live (IEC) and an extension run to the pedal board. I think I'll go with 3 spaces and give myself a little extra room on the bottom to help with the plug ins.... good advice!

Thanks Andy!!!

I would assume it's best to use speaker cable for speaker input and speaker through correct? Or if you are running silent is it better to use instrument cable into the torpedo?

It depends on the power that the amp is sending to the Torpedo, even if the overall process is silent. ;)

Anyway, use a speaker cable to connect a speaker or a loadbox, and you are sure not to make a mistake. ;)

I am using a Randall RM100 (Modded by Dave Friedman) speaker out into the torpedo live.

Out of the amp speaker out into the Torpedo Live speaker input... speaker through to the speaker cab

So... speaker cable in both places?

When running to my cab it will be running at 16 ohms

When running silent I will remove the speaker cable from the speaker out and switch the amp load to 8 ohms.

I'm ordering cables today so that's why I ask... Do want to have to order twice!!!!

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, indeed best to ask twice, order once, confirmed, speaker cable from amp to Torpedo, speaker cable Torpedo thru to Cabinet as well. best

Andy

OK.... I have one now!!! Waiting on cable to arrive to hook this bad boy up!

Will the speaker through still work if the power is off?

Will line out and SPIDF work at the same time?

Back