High-gain clips w/ the C.A.B.

xzyryabx

Finally got the chance to sit down and try to record with the CAB.
Just messing around with guitar/pickup/amp combos, so there wil be a difference from riff to riff.
I haven't even touched the surface of what the C.A.B. can do, and my playing could be much tighter, so if you're not happy with the tones blame me not the CAB!

EMG 81-x=>ENGL Savage 120=>C.A.B.=>ProFire 610=>Reaper
No post processing
1 L, 1 R panned 85%
Using backing tracks w/o the guitars

https://soundcloud.com/xzyryabx/orion?i ... o-cab-test
https://soundcloud.com/xzyryabx/tornado ... o-cab-test (skip to '20)

Hi xzyryabx,

definitely a more modern sound than the original Orion, I think I would use 2 guitar tracks on each side and less gain on them, to get a more organic sound. My 2 cents. ^^

guillaume_pille":1csuxe7o said:
Hi xzyryabx,

definitely a more modern sound than the original Orion, I think I would use 2 guitar tracks on each side and less gain on them, to get a more organic sound. My 2 cents. ^^

Thanks Frenchy!
I wasn't trying to mimic the metallica tones at all, but great advice on the tracking and gain, I just wish my playing was tight enough to do 4 close takes!

I'm still trying to get over how easy it is to get good tones with just a bit of tweaking......
:rock:

xzyryabx,

Great tones! I see you are recording into Reaper via the CAB - are you doing each take as a mono out or routing it differently within Reaper?

Riffmagus":13ddbbkg said:
xzyryabx,

Great tones! I see you are recording into Reaper via the CAB - are you doing each take as a mono out or routing it differently within Reaper?

Thanks!
one mono take each side.
Been experimenting w/ two mono takes / side and as long as I am tight it sounds much bigger/thicker.

Are you able to hear the recording in stereo? That's the one thing I can't solve with routing so far!! I can see it records the same signal left and right - but I can only hear it from one monitor - after recording it's all good for playback though.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a mono track in Reaper: all tracks are stereo.

Anyway, what you experience is quite strange, it's like you have a different routing during the recording than in playback... I don't know what could cause that.

Do you use the monitoring in Reaper or for example the direct monitoring on your soundcard?

Think I have it sorted - I'm using a Focusrite 18i6 -

Have had to use the mix control software that came with it to get a stereo monitoring sound.

under my input options I have mono and stereo - if I select my input that I have my CAB plugged in I get the following -

Mono - both L and R channels show up when record is armed.

Stereo - only one side shows - either L or R depending on the input/s selected eg 'Mic2/Line3 'Line3/Line4'.

As the CAB is mono (and I'm only connected from CAB out to s/card in using a normal pedal 'patch' cable) this seems to function as I'd expect.

Previously, I've been using the 11r fx loop to input the CAB then output via 11r USB - this is my first few tries going direct from CAB to my s/card.

Apologies to hijack the thread!!

Back