Torpedo VB-101 vs. Torpedo Live

A

Anonymous

I looked at the comparison chart and I'm not seeing a lot that makes me understand why the VB-101 is $1000 more than the Live...

If I was going to do nothing but recording with my Symphony I/O based Logic Pro Mac system what would be best for me? I see the XLR connections on the VB-101 which would work better in my system... but what else...

Seems the load is resistive with the VB-101 vs. Reactive with the Live which I believe is better. I'd be recording 100 W amps, which if cranked, are probably more like 125 W or more, but I'd never need to have them louder than half way up on the masters to get a great sound...

Would love to hear from two notes a very specific description of what would be best for me and what would make the VB-101 worth the extra $1000 for recording...

Thanks,

Steve

The vb-101 has extra DSP which will allow a mix of 2 cabinets, and mic'ing placed in parallel and 2 additional parameters, vary-phi which is a phase manipulation parameter and overload which models speaker breakup. The VB-101 also has both digital input and output on both spdif and AES with external clocking available. You can download the PI-101Free to hear vary-phi and overload in action

There are a few extras but those would be the key features that would influence your purchase choice. In a studio application, the greatest benefit would be the ability to digital insert the VB-101 as a post tracking or mixdown processor.

If you choose a Live, a great studio application would be to record via the spdif out at 48 or 96kHz. You could record both the Torpedo processed audio and the dry (no speaker/mic'ing emulation) on adjacent tracks and have the option or re-processing or doubling either again through the Live or using the PI-101 plug-in.

Andy

sysexguy":kc111y2t said:
The vb-101 has extra DSP which will allow a mix of 2 cabinets, and mic'ing placed in parallel and 2 additional parameters, vary-phi which is a phase manipulation parameter and overload which models speaker breakup. The VB-101 also has both digital input and output on both spdif and AES with external clocking available. You can download the PI-101Free to hear vary-phi and overload in action

There are a few extras but those would be the key features that would influence your purchase choice. In a studio application, the greatest benefit would be the ability to digital insert the VB-101 as a post tracking or mixdown processor.

If you choose a Live, a great studio application would be to record via the spdif out at 48 or 96kHz. You could record both the Torpedo processed audio and the dry (no speaker/mic'ing emulation) on adjacent tracks and have the option or re-processing or doubling either again through the Live or using the PI-101 plug-in.

Andy
Andy - thanks very much! That is very helpful...

Steve

Just a quick additional note, with the VB-101, recording a "dry track" for processing later is very easy as it has a dedicated dry output.

Andy

Back