New song using Torpedo C.A.B.

79sg

I've had my CAB for a few weeks now and find it to be excellent. I'm going out on a limb and will post a song I recently did using the CAB for all guitars and bass. I used my Effectrode Blackbird SR-71 Preamp pedal for the guitars into the CAB and the bass signal chain was Effectrode PC-2A compressor into the CAB. Tracks were recorded in Logic and song mixed in Harrison Mixbus. Hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/scott_r/stop-bot ... orpedo-cab

Scott

very nice!, very curious about your experience using Harrison Mixbuss, is it worthwhile moving the tracks from Logic for mixing? If you have a version of PI-101, it would be great to get some feedback on using it on the Harrison platform too.

Andy

Thanks. It is very worthwhile moving tracks from Logic to Harrison Mixbus in my opinion for the following reasons, the workflow is extremely intuitive especially for those that use or grew up mixing on a console, eq, compression (limiter or leveler), tape saturation on every track, panning sounds much better, 8 sends per track, 8 busses available which also have eq, compression, tape saturation plus the same for the master bus. Finally, to my ears it sounds fantastic. The limitations are no software instruments or midi. So, yes it is worthwhile and easy to move your tracks into Harrison Mixbus. If you use midi / vst / software instruments just bounce in place in Logic as an audio file so it can be imported into Mixbus. Finally, I have found I use very few plugins at mixdown. Caveat, there have been some people that have found not all plugins will work in Mixbus, this has not been an issue for me. Prior to adding Harrison Mixbus I would do my mixing in Metric Halo's Mio Console ( I cannot say enough good things about this either and the people that run the company) and still do on occasion.

With respect to PI-101 WOS, it shows up with no issue in Harrsion Mixbus and works great. You can use it just like you do in Logic.

I saw that Harrison is currently selling Mixbus v2.3 for $39 which is ridiculously cheap. I've thrown away a lot more money on plugins over the years than that. They have lots of tutorials on youtube and google+, check them out.

Anyway, since this is the Two Notes forum, I want to end my reply saying that the C.A.B. is a wonderful tool for recording and I am quite happy with my purchase. No regrets whatsoever. It does what it says it will do and the company provides top notch service. I went with the C.A.B. over the Live as I already owned an awesome preamp pedal and thought it would be a great idea to gig or show up at a studio with a guitar and pedalboard. I haven't mic'd a cabinet since it arrived. Soon to make some IR's once I figure it out.

Scott

I had to pop in to second Harrison Mixbus and the fact that any DAW user who doesn't have it and does not spend the $39 being currently asked is really missing out, IMHO. http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/website/purchase.html I'm completely unfamiliar with the site actually selling it, however, it's linked from Harrison's site, so should be trustworthy. Their Facebook page also has a lot of videos: https://www.facebook.com/HarrisonMixbus

Now...I really love using and am a big fan of Pro Tools, however, the intuitive side of Mixbus really is great. I have yet to truly finish tracking something and then move it over to Mixbus, but I fully intend to and am certain it will sound really good. The best way to look at Mixbus is that it's an application for mixing audio, although you can track audio directly into it, and move forward from there. As previously mentioned, it simply doesn't include the MIDI and audio instrument aspects many have come to utilize within other DAW's.

OP: your track came out nicely, as well.

Thank you Scott for this very interesting feedback, and the kind words. ;)

I didn't know the Harrison Mixbus, looks great actually.

You're welcome. I never meant for this thread to become about Harrison Mixbus :) this is the Two-Notes
forum after all.

Funny how these things happen. Anyhow, for $39 USD it is an easy decision IMO.
As I previously posted, I cannot tell you how many plugins I've bought since the mid 1990's
where the company either no longer is in business or I simply do not use them. I won't add it up
because it would be too depressing :)

For anyone that likes to mix via a console, mixbus is a close to an analog console workflow in the digital world
I've encountered.

Scott

Back