Anyone using Redwirz with the LIVE

Former Axe owner here and just received my LIVE.

I have quite a few of the Redwirez cabs (bought them as I needed/wanted them) and loaded a few into the LIVE. Haven't had a lot of time with the LIVE yet, but the Redwirez cabs sound awesome to my ears. While they include 100's of miking positions I mainly stick to R121 center 3" and 57 cap edge 0".

vinceh":20dahypj said:

I have quite a few of the Redwirez cabs (bought them as I needed/wanted them) and loaded a few into the LIVE. Haven't had a lot of time with the LIVE yet, but the Redwirez cabs sound awesome to my ears. While they include 100's of miking positions I mainly stick to R121 center 3" and 57 cap edge 0".

Do you like them more than the LIVE cabs/mics? When You load an IR do you have to load each mic position individually?

Bronco":1lkfxrib said:
I'm using Own Hammer M75s with my CAB; couldn't be happier!

I'd love to try these, but seems they no longer offer the M75 on the ownhammer site. In fact they only got two cabs there at all.

I use the entire Redwirez Big Box bundle and the Own Hammer IR's with my CAB (similar to the LIVE), and all work great with it.

I also use the Two Notes IR's just as much, so there is no "better" here as they all sound great and it just depends which IR you want at any particular time etc (it's totally subjective!), though it's a lot easier/faster to dial in the Two Notes IR's due to their real-time adjust-ability.

Shark Diver":2dk8i4gh said:
vinceh":2dk8i4gh said:

Do you like them more than the LIVE cabs/mics? When You load an IR do you have to load each mic position individually?

I load each individually. I LOVE the flexibility withe the LIVE cabs, but I find the R121 mic a little too dark using the LIVE and moving the mic around doesn't seem to have the drastic change in tone of moving a real mic around; this may be user error as I haven't had much time to test the LIVE out.

I think have the flexibility to use the LIVE cabs and load IRs is awesome.

Just loaded the Demo of the Bogner 4x12 with G12M20s from Ownhammer and I'm pretty impressed. It's very clear and punchy, yet lively with high gain. I wonder when they will offer the Scumback IRs again.

Shark Diver":25lpluhk said:
I've never loaded an IR. I hoping in the remote there is a simple drag and drop :D

In the remote software, first select the "Manage" button top right. There click one of the user banks (0-3) and on the left use the file dialog to identify the IR you wanna load (use WAV, 48KHz), and indeed: drag and drop to one of the free slots on one of the banks. Done.

You can load many many IRs.

By the way, here you can also load the other extra IR packs offered by TwoNotes, but thes go in the factory cab slots, not user.

hunter":2f79sv68 said:
Shark Diver":2f79sv68 said:
I've never loaded an IR. I hoping in the remote there is a simple drag and drop :D

In the remote software, first select the "Manage" button top right. There click one of the user banks (0-3) and on the left use the file dialog to identify the IR you wanna load (use WAV, 48KHz), and indeed: drag and drop to one of the free slots on one of the banks. Done.

You can load many many IRs.

By the way, here you can also load the other extra IR packs offered by TwoNotes, but thes go in the factory cab slots, not user.

Thank you.

Going to try in the morning. I have been doing a lot of reading up on different IRs - Not sure how much I want to delve into that quagmire :LOL: :LOL:

I'd be into aftermarket mics and power amps too. Maybe. I like the ones in the LIVE, and if I could mix 2 together I think it would be easier to find what I like easier.

Shark Diver":t2geged4 said:
Thank you.

Going to try in the morning. I have been doing a lot of reading up on different IRs - Not sure how much I want to delve into that quagmire :LOL: :LOL:

I'd be into aftermarket mics and power amps too. Maybe. I like the ones in the LIVE, and if I could mix 2 together I think it would be easier to find what I like easier.
Uh-oh. I can say that I've been doing the IR thing for a while now. Struggling with a good signal for the DAW and struggling getting the IRs to sound "like I want". Done it all twice, really. Started with the Red Wires and Ownhammers. Then went Two Notes plug in. Then sold it all and went to recording a miced speaker as quietly as I could. Then went back to Ownhammers for the v2 release, and ultimately back to Two Notes plug. I've considered a large iso box set up since then. :LOL: :LOL:

The thing I've finally just had to realize is that there is no perfect solution. Well, I mean outside of a sound proof, well insulated room with multiple mics. That has it's own pitfalls, of course, but not something I can do. The best recorded tone I get comes from micing my cab with some volume. Seldom is that practical for me. I tried and tried to get that sound from IRs and I can't. Be it my direct signal method or the IRs themselves, I can't quite get "that" sound.

So, I gave up...and it was the best thing I ever did. :) Seriously, the tone I am getting is fine. It's not the be all end all tone, but it works just fine for me. The stuff I hear from other folks is just fine. There just comes a point when obsessing over the best is detrimental to playing guitar.

Anyways, the Red Wires stuff is fine. As is the Ownhammer stuff. I went back and forth over which I preferred. Ultimately I chose the Two Notes stuff. The TN has this pushed back thing that can't be dialed out, and the RWs and OHs are more forward sounding, but the TN has a more natural sound than the RWs and OHs. Currently I am using some of my own captures of my own cab blended and EQed using BlendIR.

If you just can't help yourself and MUST try it out, I'd say pick the speaker you like the most, make that ONE purchase, and try some of those out for a while. If you find that's the way you want to go, pick up some others. But to be honest, I don't think there is a magic IR. While they are dirt cheap to be head, they can consume a lot of time and be frustrating if you start getting obsessed about it.

Also, download some from the exchange. I've got a couple on there I no longer use and wish I could delete them. I need to upload the ones I've been using. I'm hoping some more top notch IRs comes up on there as time passes.

Anyways, just my experiences.

Well said Rogue. I think it is a case of GAS sometimes. Just always looking for something "better". I settled on an IR in the Two-Notes and added my amp back in the mix. Basically I played through some real cabs, got those tones in my ear, and then found an IR/mic combo that gave that same vibe.

Sometimes, as you said, there is no reason to try all 31 flavors if you really love Chocolate :)

I have RedWirez, OwnHammer, various free IRs, some stuff off of the Two-Notes exchange, and I have now made some of my own IRs. Bottom line for me is I get the most satisfying results by blending/mixing IRs together. With RedWirez and OwnHammer I tend to like the R-121/SM57 mix. I also like an SM57 and and i5 (Audix) mixed together as well. The Two-Notes BlendIR is great for mixing IRs to your taste if the beta version is still available out there somewhere grab it and try it out. I've gotten great results with the BlendIR because it allows you to load in your own WAV sample of a guitar (they have preloaded samples as well). Basically I recorded a dry guitar signal from my Weber MIni-Mass load box (line out) directly into my DAW. I can then take that dry track with no speaker emulation and plug in various IRs and audition them and blend them. I know when I get a good mix of IRs when I hear certain harmonic bloom and dynamics that I like. At that point I can export the IR and load it into my Torpedo C.A.B. I have found the most dynamic and responsive IRs to be ones that I have created with the Torpedo Capture software or ones that have been posted to the Two-Notes exchange site. Right now I would have to say the best IRs I have, I created with my own mics (SM57 and i5) and 2x12 cab/speakers. There is a thread that talks about this process with a video:

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=139295

I used the same process as in the video and got excellent results.

Shark Diver":1cneauae said:
Well said Rogue. I think it is a case of GAS sometimes. Just always looking for something "better". I settled on an IR in the Two-Notes and added my amp back in the mix. Basically I played through some real cabs, got those tones in my ear, and then found an IR/mic combo that gave that same vibe.
If they are your cabs, or you have access to them and a couple mics, get the torpedo capture as CharlieFoxtrot suggested and shoot a few of your own. A few different ones, with different mic positions, then pull those into BlendIR. You can mix and EQ that to your taste. It's pretty easy to do without a bunch of reading.

Rogue":2n5cuhla said:
Shark Diver":2n5cuhla said:
If they are your cabs, or you have access to them and a couple mics, get the torpedo capture as CharlieFoxtrot suggested and shoot a few of your own. A few different ones, with different mic positions, then pull those into BlendIR. You can mix and EQ that to your taste. It's pretty easy to do without a bunch of reading.

Problem for me is - mic'ing. No recording interface, and a mic'd sound isn't really what I'm after - I use my gear live. I did add my amp back into the chain, rather than just a pre. Makes a world of difference and the eq on the amp is much more effective than using the LIVE eqs. Not a knock on the LIVE eq'ing, just a function of the base tone through the real power section - starting with a great tone, then using the LIVE eq as an enhancement, rather than a fix. (and by eq I am referring to all aspects - speaker choice, distance, placement, mic, power amps sims, etc...). I am very happy at this point. My try the blendIR just to get a handle on it. I would like to try a 57 and 121 or 160 together. Almost got the VB101 just for that reason - but didn't need the other extras.

So with BlendIR I can load a LIVE speaker sim and mix a 57 with a 121?

Also, is it still BETA?

It is still a beta and you won't get access to the Two Notes TSR files.

But you can blend any kind of .wav, .aiff or .tur files into a .tur file.

Back