VB-101 and WOS III

Damageplan

Hi there,

today I downloaded WOS III to have the Torpedo sound always with me when I'm out with my laptop and my preamp only :)
So far I must say that I'm really impressed by WOS III.
When playing around with it I tried to record two tracks simultaneously with my VB-101:
Dry and wet signal through SPDIF out.
It seems that this is working very well, on side processed through the VB-101 the other processed through WOS in Logic Pro X.
Could there be phasing issues using this method?

Also I noticed the following using SPDIF Out vs. Balanced Out:
SPDIF is a bit more harsher, has more highs to it? Why is this?

Using SPDIF Wet out and Balanced PreProcessed out doesn't work, there are audible phasing issues...?!

And one last question:
When I've purchased a cabinet to fully activate the WOS plugin, is it possible to use the other cabinet files from my VB-101?
That would be really great :)

Thanks for your help.
Matthias

Quick answer I'll try to send you a better answer later:

ThVB-101 cabinets and WoS III are different, therefore not compliant. When give the plugin almost for free, but the idea behind is to help us a little by buying the cabinets you like.

I need more time to explain the differences between outputs, but it's not that complicated, as soon as you understand the different sources of latency.

Ok, no problem... Then I'll buy some cabs to support you :)
Absolutely worth the money!

Can't wait for the more in depth explanation about the differences between outputs though...

When playing around with it I tried to record two tracks simultaneously with my VB-101:
Dry and wet signal through SPDIF out.
It seems that this is working very well, on side processed through the VB-101 the other processed through WOS in Logic Pro X.
Could there be phasing issues using this method?

Dry and wet signal leave the VB-101 in phase.

But, the processing you do with WoS III will have an effect that can be heard as phase issue. It's simply the different cabinets & microphones that kind of "interact" in the spectrum.

Also I noticed the following using SPDIF Out vs. Balanced Out:
SPDIF is a bit more harsher, has more highs to it? Why is this?

The same signal is sent to the digital to analog converter and to the S/Pdif output.

- S/Pdif is directly sent to your hard disk,

- The converter + output buffer stage in the VB-101, plus the input preamp + converter stage in your sound card on the Line out analog path will have an effect on the sound. Some people will like it, some won't, it's mainly a matter of taste.

We try to have the most transparent line output possible, but we can choose your sound card and therefore the overall tone depends on all the sound chain.

Using SPDIF Wet out and Balanced PreProcessed out doesn't work, there are audible phasing issues...?!

That is normal, the pre-sim output is taken BEFORE the analog to digital converter and of course the DSP, while the digital wet (and dry) will go through the converter and the DSP. It's not a phase issue, more a latency issue. So you can find the difference in your sequencer and try to fix it with a short delay added to the pre-sim output.

Thank you for that very detailed answer. No I know a lot more :)
So, the best practice with minimalist phase or latency issues is using SPDIF dry/wet out and process the dry signal with WOS on my DAW.
What can be done to be shure not having latency or phase issues with this method?

Thanks
Matthias

Back