Torpedo C.A.B. to FOH and Full Range Powered Monitor?

GratefulMets

Hi Folks,

I'm a new, very happy Torpedo C.A.B. owner. Hope this is not a stupid question...

I would like to use the C.A.B. on stage, sending the signal from the C.A.B to both the FOH, and also to a Full Range Powered Monitor (QSC K series). Given only a single line out on the C.A.B., can anyone advise on how I would best accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Again,

Thinking this over.. Duh. Is it as simple as just splitting the line-out from the C.A.B. with a 1/4 Y cable? And if so, should I be concerned about any loss in audio quality?

Thanks again!

Of course you can try a Y cable, but connecting the ground of 3 devices like that can lead to some unwanted noises.

If you experience that kind of problem, you should consider having a line splitter (one input, 2 isolated outputs).

The K series has a male thru output jack which can go to the FOH. If the console's input cannot handle a line level signal, best use a DI.

As Guillaume mentioned, you may have a ground issue in which case having a barrel XLR M-F that lifts the signal ground in your gig bag would be an asset
9808.jpg
, cheap and portable.

Audio Transformers will also isolate but will be a more costly option. A ground lift on the AC may be easy but is not the safest option.

Andy

Thanks very much for the info. Using the K series thru jack sounds like the way to go, but just to be clear.... are you saying that I could still encounter ground issues when connecting this way, or was that just if I was using a splitter? I would run 1/4" from C.A.B > input K series> thru > FOH snake. Would it be best to use a balanced TRS cable from the C.A.B. to the K series? Would that help limit potential grounding issues? Sorry for my ignorance.

And thanks again for sharing.

Anytime you have multiple grounds, you have a possibility for noise that needs to be dealt with, The cab uses an adapter but lets say you used a tube preamp with a 3 prong ac cord...an JMP-1 for example, there's one ground...the qsc k has a similar plug so there's two.....you could likely plug both into the same outlet/power bar so they don't cause a problem.....but the PA system that this gear is connected to is plugged into an outlet 100 feet away, maybe on a different circuit ...this may be then a problem.

This is in no way a Torpedo matter.....it could apply for just about any guitar processor or a keyboard system...even a dj's rig. You can find out some great resources on stuff like this at rane.com and soundonsound.com amongst others....just search grounding or ground loop

Andy

Back