VB-101 Low Latency Mode

opiante

Hi Guys,

So I've been getting to know my new VB-101 lately, and there are many interesting things I've learned. I'm experimenting with all the parameters and getting a real 'feel' for the different controls. I'm a guitar player and not a recording engineer, so there's been a bit of a learning curve for me, but it is an enjoyable process.

One of the issues I've been pretty fascinated with is latency. When I first experimented with a VB-101 a few months back (prior to buying mine) I used its analog outs into a slightly older A/D conversion unit nd ran it alongside real mics I used for the session. This kept giving me something of a pseudo-phase issue, which I now realize is the result of latency in that setup. This week I had a chance to use it thru SPDIF and was really impressed at the very low latency in the normal mode. It was a real feel thing for me... leyying me get into a rhytmic groove since the sound out of my recording rig felt pretty immediate. Very nice.

However I then dropped the unit into Low Latency mode and came off TOTALLY stunned. In this mode there was no perceivable latency at all and everything felt so immediate that it really affected my playing. The setup felt 'inspirational'. Like I said, Im a guitar player and not a tech guy, so to me the perception of latency is what always steered me away from digital gear where the immediate 'feel' was lost. I'd go as far as to saythat in low latency mode there is zero practical latency, IMHO of course.

So what do I lose by running in low latency mode? I know that the V3.0 of the VB101 software is coming out soon, will this effect what I am able to do? I guess that for recordings where the groove has to be nailed I can always do the "Wet/Dry" thing in low Latency and then re-mic, is this correct?

In any case, I'd love to hear specifically what I'm havin to trade off in Low Latency, cause I love this mode.

Ian

Low Latency mode disables Vari-Phi and Overload. If those parameters are important, you can always record one side dry and then run that track back through the Torpedo with an offset to compensate.

Andy

Salut Opiante,

I'll try to help you with that. ;)

When I first experimented with a VB-101 a few months back (prior to buying mine) I used its analog outs into a slightly older A/D conversion unit nd ran it alongside real mics I used for the session. This kept giving me something of a pseudo-phase issue, which I now realize is the result of latency in that setup.

Actually, the phasing effect between a real microphone and the VB-101 is due to the VB-101 alone, if you take both signals at the same time with the same soundcard.

You'll experience similar effects whatever the latency (low, high) is in the VB-101. It is simply because the processed samples arrive after the miced ones. I have a tutorial about that on the way but can't find the time to edit the video...

Anyway, any digital processor will induce a delay compared to a directly miked cabinet. That can be corrected by either having a latency compensation plugin on the mic track or a delay.

The VB-101 latency is 4,8ms in normal mode, 2,88ms in low latency mode (between 2 analog I/Os). This latency may very depending on whether you're using digital or analog I/Os, but not by a great value.

During your experiment, what was the internal latency of you DAW? Because, from what I can see for years studying the perception of latency, going from 5 to 3 is not a huge thing, but if you add say 5 more (DAW), going from 10 to 8 can be different.

You should try the same thing with the headphones out on the VB-101 and have someone else playing with the latency parameter on the Remote, so you don't get influence from what you see.;)

So what do I lose by running in low latency mode?

The overload parameter, which can be interesting when used at low levels (below 20%) or as a kind of distortion effect (over 30%).

I know that the V3.0 of the VB101 software is coming out soon, will this effect what I am able to do?

We keep the low/normal latency, as is.

I guess that for recordings where the groove has to be nailed I can always do the "Wet/Dry" thing in low Latency and then re-mic, is this correct?

Well, you can have 2 processed channels, but you can use for example the left one for the DRY signal, like always.

Back